Palm Mutes, I Cant Do Them Right
Terbo
Nov 1 2007, 05:06 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys, this is my first topic here at GMC

Im having problems with Palm Mutes, i cant seem to get my hand placement right, and with things like sweeping , Single and double string muting its getting really annoying, i know its probably a easy technique but i just can get it, Please help me.

Thanks again

Terbo ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 1 2007, 05:24 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Terbo @ Nov 1 2007, 04:06 AM) *

Im having problems with Palm Mutes, i cant seem to get my hand placement right, and with things like sweeping , Single and double string muting its getting really annoying, i know its probably a easy technique but i just can get it, Please help me.

Thanks again

Terbo ph34r.gif

Hey Terbo

Here i've taken some pictures of before and after hand placement at the bridge ready for some palm muting...

and here im just pointing out where i rest the main meat of my hand...

Remember you should be resting your hand there- not pushinh down hard or anything like that smile.gif
Hope that Helps!

DeepRoots

Ps. to kris and andrew- sorry for gigantic photos....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 1 2007, 05:27 AM
Lets go fishing!
Terbo!!

Congratulations on your first topic wink.gif I will try to be as helpful as i can, but i have just come off a late shift and my brain my have stopped working BIG TIME laugh.gif

The best was i can describe how i palm mute when playing is this.

I rest my palm (back right side) on the low strings - all strings infact ACCEPT the strings i am actually playing!

Im always keeping my palm on those low strings, accept of course when i move down the the lowest string of all.

This also applys when sweeping, keep your hand attached to the strings/bridge as you sweep downstrokes, you can use your freting had to mute on the way back up. Pavel does a great job of explaining in his early sweep-picking series if you havent already seen that.

I hope this is a little bit helpful but ask if you have questions smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 1 2007, 05:34 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Oct 31 2007, 09:24 PM) *
Hey Terbo

Here i've taken some pictures of before and after hand placement at the bridge ready for some palm muting...

and here im just pointing out where i rest the main meat of my hand...

Remember you should be resting your hand there- not pushinh down hard or anything like that smile.gif
Hope that Helps!
DeepRoots

Ps. to kris and andrew- sorry for gigantic photos....

A bit offtopic, but when was the last time you cleaned your guitar? huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 1 2007, 05:40 AM
Really good pics deeproots smile.gif

Terbo just practice this technique tll you get it right.This is such a huge technique needed to play so many different types of music.Once you get it down you will use it all the time,especially if you like playing thrash metal like old metallica.I always use off and on palm mutting

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 1 2007, 05:45 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Nov 1 2007, 04:34 AM) *

Its an old cheapy marshall guitar that doesnt see the light of day anymore....i had it handy coz im about to give it away to a friend whos just taken up guitar.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 1 2007, 05:50 AM
GMC Founder
Deeproots - excellent with the pictures, thanks a lot! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (botoxfox @ Nov 1 2007, 05:34 AM) *

Yes, very much off topic huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 1 2007, 05:52 AM

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Apr 21 2011, 11:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Nov 1 2007, 06:56 AM
QUOTE (Terbo @ Nov 1 2007, 04:06 AM) *

Thanks again

Terbo ph34r.gif

The problem that most people have with learning to palm mute, as with many guitar techniques, is being too heavy-handed. As DeepRoots mentioned, pay attention that your muting is just heavy enough to kill the noise and no more. Excess pressure makes it difficult to achieve the proper movement of your picking hand for techniques such as sweeps.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Terbo
Nov 5 2007, 12:39 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the help!!!

Those pics really did help and so did all of your tios guys, ive been playing guitar for around 3 to 4 years and i just couldnt get it.

Thanks again for all your help.

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 5 2007, 12:43 AM
It also helps if your string levels arent at a slant, I badly adjusted mine about half a year ago when I didnt know any better and they now run at a angle vertically - low e highest, high e lowest height, and muting is pretty hard on the top strings because I still havent got the right sized allan keys to fix it.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:50 PM