10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Kris-must Charm :: Audio Collaboration, GMC students and instructor collab
Darius Wave
Dec 19 2014, 07:15 PM
Instructor
Welcome to...

The KRIS-MUST CHARM collaboration

To celebrate those Christmas together, we've prapared an audio collaboration for all of You smile.gif The face of the collab is THE MAN himself - Kris Dahl! He was kind enough to prepare this "chocolate box cover type" of photo (I think You could easily sell it to the biggest candy trademarks) - thanx Kris! smile.gif

Attached Image

So...how it's gonna look like?

1. It's an audio collaboration open for any GMC member, who is able to record a solo over delivered backing track
2. Backing track Attached File  kris_must_charm_collab_backing.mp3 ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 894
is simple (key of D-major) and will allow everyone (no matter which skills level ) to join us smile.gif
3. Deadline to deliver Your solo is 03.01.2015
4. Post Your take in this topic (upload to soundcloud or similar)
5. Post Your files in this topic (mp3 with at least 128 kbps quality,16 bit wav files are warm welcome). We need two files - 1. Your solo without the backing track 2. Your solo mixed with the backing track for reference
6. If You want to join us so much, but You're not able to record guitar separately from the backing track, just give us what You have and We'll try to do our best, to fit it to the final collab mix
7. Tempo of the track is 140. You will save us a bit of time if Your'e able ti mixdown within exact bar markers in Your DAW (easier to sync in the final mix)
8. You can always count for additional help in this particular topic. Just ask - You'll get help from both - students and instructors smile.gif

..:: TIPS ::...

1. If You feel You're not familiar with major scale, You can use B-aeolina minor scale (it covers exactly the same notes as D-major). Even more simple - You can use just a B-minor pentatonic.

2. Need inspirations? Go to a search box above and review some of the lessons by typing "D-major". You can see some of the cool licks and phrasing tips right from the lessons available at GMC.

------

EDIT - RESULTS:

THE FINAL MIX TIME!

First of all I would like to thank every single one of Your for all the effort to make this happen. I think again we brought something great by doing it together and showing it's not the skills level and not the playing genre but the kind of people we are that makes us able to enjoy doing such a collabs together...and "Nothing else matters" biggrin.gif Huge hugs to all of You!

Order of Appearance:

1. Jim S. - solo and backing electric guitar
2. Darius Wave - acoustic guitars
3. Rhida and Superize - jam
4. Beat Zbinden
5. HiimAlex
6. Nick6373
7. Huargo
8. Sensible Jones
9. Procyon
10. Renan & Phil66 - jam
11. Bleez + Chris S. - jam
12. DeGroot
13. Monica Gheorghevici
14. Cosmin Lupu
15. Guitarrero
16. Kristofer Dahl - vocal and guitar solo

http://soundcloud.com/dariuswave/kris-must-charm-gmc-students-and-instructors-collaboration

Donwload here.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 19 2014, 07:33 PM
GMC Founder
I'm in!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 19 2014, 08:28 PM
Learning Tone Master

Hahaha.....I know who made the backing tongue.gif Belongs to a recently posted lesson biggrin.gif
Awesome!!!!!!!! I'm definitely IN smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Dec 19 2014, 09:35 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Well this will be my first collaboration ever but I will definitely give it a try smile.gif I'm in!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 19 2014, 09:42 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Dec 19 2014, 09:35 PM) *
Well this will be my first collaboration ever but I will definitely give it a try smile.gif I'm in!

Excellent - you have got a absolutely nothing to loose. In a worse case scenario, you will improve biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Dec 19 2014, 10:19 PM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 19 2014, 09:42 PM) *
Excellent - you have got a absolutely nothing to loose. In a worse case scenario, you will improve biggrin.gif

And that is exactly what made my join this collab, I have completely nothing to lose. But if the worst case scenario is that I will improve, what is the best case scenario then? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 19 2014, 10:23 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Dec 19 2014, 10:19 PM) *
And that is exactly what made my join this collab, I have completely nothing to lose. But if the worst case scenario is that I will improve, what is the best case scenario then? biggrin.gif

That you will improve even more. And maybe Santa will visit you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rhida
Dec 19 2014, 10:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm in too! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 19 2014, 11:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Count me in! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Dec 20 2014, 01:53 AM

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Dec 20 2014, 03:01 AM
GMC:er
is that march 1st or January 3rd?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 20 2014, 08:51 AM
Instructor
Me too biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 20 2014, 09:38 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 19 2014, 06:15 PM) *
- You can use just a B-minor pentatonic.

Im in smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 20 2014, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Nice to see so much of You already! I'm excited about this one smile.gif

Monica - yes, I knew You will recognizde immiediately biggrin.gif

The deadline is 3rd January smile.gif Any very first idea about the solo over this track ?smile.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 20 2014, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I am in on this collab

This is what i have come up with

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 20 2014, 11:05 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (superize @ Dec 20 2014, 05:51 PM) *
I am in on this collab

Very cool Ize,

@ Darius - I think we can adjust our routines a little bit and comment as the takes come in. I think this will be more valuable for the other participants.

@ Ize - over all this is a very good take with emphasis on melody and musicality. There are still things you can do to reach the wow factor, but the good news is I don't think you are very far from it (maturity- and technique wise).

It is striking that your lead is way louder than the backin. And there are various things you can do to make it "sit" better. I do realize this might not have been your priority since someone else will be mixing it, but I am still mentioning this as I think it can be valuable to others. Try adding low cut EQ, some delay/reverb and then adjust the levels so that the backing can be heard.

From a musical perspective - you don't give the listener any chance to hear the backing, and you start playing immediately. This is something to avoid in general, unless the arrangement really calls for it. In this case you have a pro sounding backing to work with, so by allowing breathing room - the listener will actually give you credit for the cool sounding backing (in a way) if you just give them some time to hear it. I hope this make sense.

You do add great breathing room later on though (00:10 and 00:15 for example).

The beginning motive (00:03) which you later on repeat an octave higher (very neat trick btw!) - feature several consecutive notes played with the same attack, note value and feel (no bending, muting etc applied to them). This makes them sound a bit stiff and not very guitar sounding (they give me 'midi' vibes). I think you should think of some way to spice this one up. Maybe start with a rake, skip one of the notes so you get a chance to hang on the preceding note and give it some bending/vibrato etc. Or keep it like it is, but still try to add some "feeling" (can be anything: noise, ritardando, harmonics, slide etc) to it.

Melody wise I think you have done a very good job (and this might be the most difficult aspect to nail). You add dynamics and unpredictability at 00:20, and there is a theme/thread in your melody work (which is very important not to confuse the listener) while you still take it to a 'new place' (from 00:20 and onwards).

One thing which could really add a pro dimension to you playing - was if you turned the gain down a little bit and try to work on a more dynamic sound. Technique wise you are ready for it - ie you have enough control over your picking - and this would raise your playing to a whole new level. As an example, you could simply solve the "midi sound" problem mentioned above by having variations in your dynamics. As it is now, the distortion adds a lot of compression (that's what distortion does, it evens out the notes) which makes all your notes sound the same, dynamics wise. Check out some of Darius licks and his written instructions throughout his latest lesson.

Let me know what you think about all of this. I think you are much closer to sounding like a pro than you realize. The music is definitely there (this is the difficult part!), and you have already come a long way control- and technique wise. You just need to be smart and put the elements together, and you will be able to reach a much higher level pretty fast. I think you should start working more on your sound and the subtle details in your playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Huargo
Dec 21 2014, 10:08 AM
Tone Seeker
Hi!
of course i'm in too... i'm in the comp processing... i think my take is very close to be final.
I'm thinking in Andy timmons and Erick Johnson style to write this but jejeje it's impossible to play like that beasts jejeje.
This is the gp5 file i'm working in. Actually i'm playing slowly the final part because it's a tricky one for me.

smile.gif

Attached File  Kris_collab.gp5 ( 2.78K ) Number of downloads: 454

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 21 2014, 03:58 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
One of my resolutions for next year is to start recording stuff again.
So why not start early?

https://soundcloud.com/gitarrero/kris-must-charm-gmc-collab

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Kris_must_charm_nbt.wav ( 8.2MB ) Number of downloads: 480

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 21 2014, 04:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (superize @ Dec 20 2014, 04:51 PM) *
I am in on this collab

Thanx for the files man! smile.gif Like Kris said - we hear that Your musicality is very nice. You did it very fast. That's of course Your choice but...

What I usually do is first record the sketch / stellar of the idea and leave it for few days to let it flow in my head. I do not know how about oithers but in my case most of best (at least that's how I feel) ideas come when I do not have an instrument in my hands smile.gif Liostening to a pre-made stellar gives You some more ideas. You can add even more details, more dynamics, articulation. You can try to experiment. For my personal taste a bit to much notes here is play with stacatto techniqe. I think that for this particular track mood it's nice to glue most of the notes with legato or bends. Do You think You can try to boost Your take with more ideas? For me the melody is fine - You cool even make a vocal line out of it. It would only search for more colors in there smile.gif

Gitarrero - come on man wink.gif We all know You can do much more biggrin.gif Maybe try to take a chellnge considering yourself as a "tension builder" that will appear somwhere after middle of the song. How do You think what would You play if You imagine someone else is building the tension before You smile.gif ?

Huargo - great to have You gain in another collab! Damn....that guitar pro preview sounds promising smile.gif I really wonder How it will come up on the real instrument smile.gif

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Dec 21 2014, 04:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm in

Here is my first idea for this collab
Not the finish version

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Kris_Must_Charm_Collab.mp3 ( 641.25K ) Number of downloads: 481

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 21 2014, 05:27 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Darius, thanks for the quick feedback!
I gotta admit that I don't really know what you mean though.
Could you be more specific as to how you'd like me to alter my take?

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:30 AM