Best Video Editing Applications
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2020, 12:18 AM
GMC:er
QUESTION: WHAT VIDEO EDITOR DO YOU USE?

BEST FREE SOFTWARE - DAVINCI RESOLVE 16
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
Davinci Resolve started out it’s life as a color correction software. It became the Gold Standard of color correction software and was used on just about every major TV/FILM project you can think of. The bad news was that a setup for using it could cost $100,000. Yup. You read that number correctly. It was insanely expensive. Thankfully, the good folks over at BLACK MAGIC DESIGNS bought the entire company, lock, stock, and barrel and decided to start giving the software way for FREE in a base model version. This was a great idea for a company that makes the hardware that video productions use when making videos. So if you want to make great videos, you can buy some hardware from them, and use the starter version of this software entirely free. Also, the software has grown over the years. It’s no longer just a color correction suite. It’s a full on Video Editing Platoform. The only downside is that it takes some fairly serious hardware to run this stuff. Your 5 year old laptop is gonna really struggle. It’s designed to run on the latest and greatest hardware and if you have a spiff new PC/MAC, you are in luck as you can run the same software that was used to make many of your fave movies. It’s CROSS PLATFORM so PC and MAC People alike can enjoy it. It’s NOT an easy bit of kit to learn though as it’s very powerful. So if you are used to windows movie maker, this will seem like an alien language. Thankfully there are plenty of youtube vids to get you started.

BEST SOFTWARE UNDER $300 - DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 STUDIO
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
This is the upgraded version of RESOLVE that features everything in the standard version as well as a host of plugins/filters and support for up to 8k resolutions and 3-D stereo Scopic Editing. This software can honestly edit pretty much any source material you’ve got. IT’s a bit of overkill to be honest for most people making guitar videos. But for the prices it’s unbeatable. The best part is that it’s NOT a monthly contract. It’s a drive out price and you own it. You don’t have to keep coming up with money each month just to get your software to work which can be a bit of a pain.

BEST MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION SOFTWARE - ADOBE PREMIERE PRO (20.99 Per Month)
ADOBE has moved to a subscription model which some folks love and some folks hate. If work is slow and you are having a bad month, having to pay just to get your projects to open is a bit of a pain in the neck. Of course you can pay by the year, but that feels like being forced to buy the app every single year, which is in fact that case. Still, PREMIERE is a great bit of software. It integrates well with the other adobe applications like photoshop and after effects (which also require a subscription) and it’s a very powerful bit of software that is very easy to use. I’d say the best thing about it is that it’s pretty simple to just open it up and start using it. If you have any experience at all editing digital video, the interface will make sense and you can get to work right away. I can’t really say the same for the DAVINCI interface which is just more complicated no matter how you slice it. My personal choice of all these would be premiere.

BEST MAC ONLY VIDEO SOFTWARE - FINAL CUT PRO X ($299)
One of the only reasons to own a Macintosh computer is FINAL CUT PRO X and LOGIC X. These two Apps are the main reason to be a “Mac Guy” IMHO. Especially LOGIC PRO X. Ever since the iMovie Team took over development of FINAL CUT PRO, I have just hated what they did with the interface. It feels too much like imovie which I just never liked. However, there are lots of people who love iMovie who can easily make the transition to FINAL CUT PRO X. That said, it’s very powerful software that’s very easy to use. If you are coming from Premiere Pro, or even something like AVID or RESOLVE, there is a learning curve as the interface is just so different. Also, it only runs on a Mac, so PC people are out of luck. Some folks LOVE it. I’m not one of them. I did like the early versions which conformed to the Non linear Video Editor “schtick” like having a preview and monitor window and standard timeline. But it takes all kinds to fill up a bus and this version has a large following so it’s worth mentioning for Mac folks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:19 AM