Opeth!, Thu. May 29th, HOB, Myrtle Beach SC. Featuring Circles in Autumn and 3
JVM
Jun 17 2008, 08:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Sorry once again for bad picture quality, I've limited the pictures this time (to one tongue.gif) because I was further away from the stage this time.

So on thursday the 29th of may I traveled down from my town of durham north carolina to myrtle beach south carolina (about a four hour drive). Opeth was only attraction number one. Little did I know it but once again I would be surprised by opening acts. Also, my trip was a weekend trip. I stayed at my friend's and also did other things like going to the Hard Rock theme park that just opened down there. Another thread. Lets get started about this show.

This was my first time going to the house of blues before so I was a little excited because I've heard a lot about it. I liked it, it's a nice place. The sound quality was EXCELLENT. I was sitting back towards the bar, yet there were speakers set up back there so I could hear every detail yet it wasn't shattering my ears. The place held a few hundred people, it was a good crowd. They have a no moshing policy but you know that rule was broken when Opeth got on stage. They contained themselves through the first two acts, but when Opeth opens with Demon of the Fall? How do you not mosh? Anyway, lets move on to the bands.

Circles in Autumn

The first band was a local Myrtle Beach band, called Circles in Autumn. They were decent enough, enough to make me remark that its nice to see that local scenes are still putting out high quality bands like these. Overall though, I was left without much to say about them. They had some sweet riffs and their lead player had some good solo time. The lyrics I found too depressing though, without seeming to go anywhere besides being dark and gloomy. However we're at an Opeth show so that can slide (the main difference being that Opeth's lyrics have a point, IMO). The singer started with some growls which I couldn't help but compare to Mikael's, I guess when you're at a show opening for the best, its hard to look impressive biggrin.gif But they were still a good band and a good show opener. They had some really good gear, the lead player I noticed had a Madison head which I've read about before but never seen in person. AFAIK, they're pretty expensive. It sounded pretty nice as well.

The next band that came on, 3, was quite a surprise to me. Surprising, mostly, in that I had never heard of them before! They were incredible! When I saw the Sword, I was wondering if the opening act to that show would be topped by them. At this show, when 3 were done with their act, I was once again left wondering if it was going to be topped. I like that feeling, it makes for a very good show smile.gif

I was floored by their singer, he has such a range and attitude in his voice that he's easily one of the best live singers I've heard in a while. No growling, just a nice clean voice. His guitar playing was ASTOUNDING too! He fingerpicks, yet he also is capable of some really cool heavy riffing. Near the end of the set he performed an amazing acoustic solo, one of the highlights of the show. Really good stuff. They also had two percussionists. Usually if a band has two drummers I find it a little bit overkill, but the second guy wasn't on a drumkit so much as an assortment of different kinds of drums and noisemakers you wouldn't usually find on a standard kit. So it was cool, kind of a different range of percussion. At the end of their set the second percussionist came out and drummed on the singers back as he hit a really high note. It's hard to explain but it was kind of a cool effect. Overall I have to give these guys props, they did all the standard heavy riffing and soloing but were also creative and just plain skillfull. I would go see a show these guys headlined.

Opeth

Attached Image

And finally, the band I came to see, Opeth came on stage after a good 10 minute break. They immediately opened with Demon of the Fall. Don't worry folks, it turns out that once again I was proven incorrect, they were the best act of the night. 3 was great but Opeth was greater.

I forget what order everything happened in that night but they played everything I could have wanted. They played stuff off of blackwater park, still life (even mentioning that he hates playing Serenity Painted Death because its so hard, but playing it anyway. Flawlessly), damnation, deliverance, and one track off of the new album. I wish he had played Burden, but he played Heir Apparent. Which was also really cool of course smile.gif Everyone in the band was playing great. Axe and Fredrik performed admirably, even though I wish it was Lopez and Lindgren instead.

Per really rocked on his keyboards and Martin kept everything steady on bass as well. I'm really beginning to love Per as one of my favorite key players. Mikael's growls were all incredible, I don't know how he does it, they're so deep yet easily understandable, and his clean voice is amazing as well, truly a talented singer.

I lost count after he switched his guitars out five times. At one point he took song requests, but he had to deny a few of them because they were in drop tunings he didn't have any of his guitars at. He then remarked that PRS should give the band about ten more guitars so they can play their whole catalogue. He's a really funny guy. He pulled out a telecaster to play In My Time of Need from Damnation, which was amazing. He asked the crowd if they liked his "grandpas guitar" (which is really funny to any Metalocalypse fans I hope tongue.gif). Also, hearing Mikael say in his very swedish accent that they were enjoying their stay at Myrtle Beach, seeing "the gators" and "getting ice cream" for some reason was hilarious.

It was really about everything I could ask for in a show. Good opening bands, great sound, audience interaction, a nice place, they played about everything I could have wanted. The only downside was I had to get in line and wait for an hour before the show because there were so many people but it was all well worth it. Go see Opeth if you ever get the chance! And I suggest you go see 3 if they come near you as well!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jun 17 2008, 08:54 PM
GMC:er
Wicked ! I'm jeaulous Opeth is my favourite band, must see them one day! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 17 2008, 08:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thats pretty cool. I saw there new video on HBB on MTV2 and they are really good.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Jun 17 2008, 09:42 PM
Instructor
Cool!! Great review!!
Thanks man!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 18 2008, 12:04 AM
Great review, somehow I always thought 3 had hardcore screaming vocals, but now I'm gonna have to check them out. The gig seems like it was awesome, I can't way for Opeth's european tour so I can see them again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 18 2008, 12:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
I just saw the band at a festival and I was blown away. Mikael truly is a funny guy, he told us every song from the new record was about Warm, sunny days at the beach but not the one he is going to play now, this one is about womens' b*****! wink.gif

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 18 2008, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Top Notch review man. Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 18 2008, 03:30 PM
I am seeing Opeth again soon for the 3rd or 4th time. I forget.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 19 2008, 01:57 PM
Singing Instructor
Great review,thanks for the pic's.Glad you had a great time there.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
steiner666
Jun 20 2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah the singer from 3 sure could hit and hold some notes.

I love Opeth more and more every time I see them play. Mike is hilarious, and their performances are flawless!

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:21 AM