Camera / Camcorder, I need something proper, to capture my video
Marek Rojewski
Oct 10 2016, 09:53 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Hi fellow GMC'ers. I tried to search the archives of GMC for topics about cameras/camcorders used to record proper video, but most of what I've found was 3-5 years old, and I guess the situation changed quite much since then.

After my old camera died, I've recorded few REC takes with my smartphone and in-build laptop webcam. I can notice that the quality of my videos dropped, and considering in few months I'll be able to set up a better place to practice guitar and record my takes, it is time to look for a better device for capturing video.

Do you have any recommendations?

From what I see most people use "normal cameras" that in the past were used for taking photos, and nowadays have option to also record video. Is this the easiest/normal way? I am probably wrong, but when I look upon a camera, I think about photos not video huh.gif

My budget is up to 300-500$ but I would rather spend way less if it is possible. I don't plan on taking my camera outside, its sole role will be to record me in my room, on a black canvas background with proper lights set up.

Probably a quality of 720HD would be enough, but maybe I am wrong, and should aim at 1080HD already?

I'm counting on you! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 12 2016, 12:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
One thing I would advise is to get the widest angle lens you can, 28mm equivalent if possible. I used my sills camera for a long time and it has 28-100 equivalent lens. When I bought a camcorder off eBay I didn't think about it and I have to have it further than arms reach away. Not a major hassle but when I get another one I'll be sure it has wide angle lens.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2016, 05:18 PM
GMC:er
I'd go 1080p smile.gif You have wad of options. Honestly, a nice web cam will do the trick and give you 1080p HD such as the better ones from LOGITIECH. For less than $150 you can get their new "wide angle" pro web cam.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/12131?crid=34

But, it's still a web cam, and has cheaper glass/lense than a "real" camera/handy cam would have. So if you are looking for a bit better quality, I'd say look at a used HD/HDV handy cam on ebay that has a remote control that will allow you to start/stop recording and zoom in using optical and not "digital" zoom. Digital zoom is fakery. It always looks worse than "optical" zoom as optical zoom is using the lense and digital zoom iis faking it sad.gif

If you have firewire on your computer, or can add a firewire card, you can buy a used Canon HD or Sony HD cam for a crazy low price and have full HD with good glass/lense and a remote control with optical zoom.

I use mine to record directly to the computer and skip the transfer step of moving data around with memory cards or what not. I'm currently using a CANON HV30. You can get these for about $150 on Ebay. Here is a list of sold listings showing actual prices paid.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...=p2045573.m1684

If you don't mind moving the video around to computer on a memory card/stick, then you can get pretty much any Canon/Sony/JVC handy cam that is 1080p and comes with a remote control. In the under 500 range, there are many to choose from and the feature set is very similar so I can't think of on unit that sticks out in particular. They are pretty similar imho. Can you get to a store to try a few out? Or are you geographically isolated?

Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:56 PM