> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

Beginner Corner 2
Carmine Marotta
Jul 16 2014, 03:18 PM
GMC:er
Cosmin
regarding the BC no 2. There was this comment on the Feedback box of the lesson: "...with the rhythm without additional information, therefor i think this lesson is still to difficult for a real beginner. You have to break it down more when it comes to apply the rhythm"

I completely agree with this sentence. Anyway the breakdown video is different form the main video due to the speed. I think the muted strum can be added according to taste more than according to the video, what do you think?

Thanks in advance. Take care,
Carmine

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 17 2014, 08:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 16 2014, 02:18 PM) *
Cosmin
regarding the BC no 2. There was this comment on the Feedback box of the lesson: "...with the rhythm without additional information, therefor i think this lesson is still to difficult for a real beginner. You have to break it down more when it comes to apply the rhythm"

I completely agree with this sentence. Anyway the breakdown video is different form the main video due to the speed. I think the muted strum can be added according to taste more than according to the video, what do you think?

Thanks in advance. Take care,
Carmine

Hello Carmine, please proceed as you feel in this instance and we'll discuss the result. The best approach here, in my opinion, is to use your ears and make a decision by trusting what they tell you smile.gif You'll see that in time, you will learn to trust them more than anything else when it comes down to reproducing sounds. Getting as close as possible to the main video, would be what I'd do smile.gif

Please let me know if it poses any problems, ok?

As for a principial method which you can always rely on, I'd approach things having in mind two possibilities which can both lead to right hand technique improving results:

1) learn the patterns as they are explained in the slowed down videos by using the method I described earlier in the Beginner Corner 1 thread and also using the videos:

- left hand - please notice where each chord is being changed by counting while listening to the original recording. Change the chords along with it and don't strum, just mark the change with a downstroke. Before doing this, just listen to the recording without playing and count - in your head or out loud. Can you feel the pulse of the recording?
- right hand - how does the pattern for the strumming look and sound if we would exclude the left hand from the equation? Mute your strings with the left hand until no sound can be heard when you strum, except for the 'chuck chuck' of course. Try to follow the right hand of the instructor to nail the strumming pattern and play only with the right hand while muting the strings along with the original recording. Don't forget to count, as in the previous case.

Now your hands know what to do separately wink.gif

- step 3 is to put them together - apply the strumming pattern of the right hand to the chord changing pattern of the left hand over the original recording. It will take some time, because it's a matter of coordination and learning how to count but, this is how one can basically learn a rhythmic pattern.

2) When you are confident enough you can record against the original video and by comparing the takes, spot the right hand differences.

This is a method which is elaborate to sort out pretty much any pattern and I am using it myself whenever I need to sort something out by ear mostly. So, not only does it help you learn a strumming pattern but also trains your timing skills and your ears! smile.gif Please let me know how you feel about this smile.gif

Here's a little video explaining the ghost chords:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 19 2014, 08:46 PM

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 20 2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks Cosmin
I think I will be able to post my video during the week just starting. The only parts that I have to polish are the different rhythms on the G chords. Plus my usual problem of being tense while recording, most of the problem on the BC1 were due to this and it gets worst at the last beats, I keep thinking that a mistake there will distroy all the efforts and I get even more tense.

Thanks again
Carmine

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 20 2014, 10:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 20 2014, 10:39 PM) *
I keep thinking that a mistake there will distroy all the efforts and I get even more tense.

I have often experienced the exact same thing! When recording a good take I would be thinking : "Oh yeah, this take is really good, just a few more notes..." and then the fear of making a mistake kicks in and I would actually make a mistake. Sometimes it would be even the very last note ohmy.gif

I have found that the cause of the issue is that I'm not fully in the zone. I'm not fully focused on what I'm playing as obviously I have time to think if its the "perfect take" or not. The only advice I can share here is to fully focus on the playing and backing track. I like to find my zone by focusing on a specific instrument or part of the backing, maybe try focusing on the drums more deeply. That could help you get into the backing track and playing and stop realising that the REC light is blinking on the camera.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 21 2014, 07:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 20 2014, 08:39 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin
I think I will be able to post my video during the week just starting. The only parts that I have to polish are the different rhythms on the G chords. Plus my usual problem of being tense while recording, most of the problem on the BC1 were due to this and it gets worst at the last beats, I keep thinking that a mistake there will distroy all the efforts and I get even more tense.

Thanks again
Carmine

Carmine, I am glad to hear about the fact that you are progressing and I also want to assure you that I am going through the same problem biggrin.gif I just faced it two Sundays ago, when I recorded a solo on an amplifier I wasn't used to and I had to do it that very evening.

It took me about 13 tries and I remember my heart beating like a scared pigeon whenever I got close to finishing it and I was happy with what I did. Nevertheless, exactly as in Bogdan's case, those thoughts took me out of the famed ZONE and of course, I bashed it at the end. Once I started focusing on each part as it came along and stopped thinking at anything else other than the solo, I nailed it.

That's what I think you should try - stop thinking about anything else, but what you are doing then and there. Once you'll become aware of this incredibly powerful weapon which focus power represents, you'll gain a self control and confidence beyond anything you ever known so far.

Please do try this and let me know how it feels wink.gif

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 21 2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks Cosmin (and Bodgan) I will keep this in my mind (and forget it since I will focus on one thing only wink.gif )

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 21 2014, 03:00 PM
Cosmin
regarding the G chord on bar 22, am I correct that the stress is on beat 1, and of 2, and on beat 4?

Thanks
Carmine

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 22 2014, 06:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 21 2014, 02:00 PM) *
Cosmin
regarding the G chord on bar 22, am I correct that the stress is on beat 1, and of 2, and on beat 4?

Thanks
Carmine

Hello Carmine, your assumption is correct, the first strum is on beat 1, the second strum is in between beat 2 and 3 and 3rd one is on beat 4.

My suggestion to you, to get this groove is to tap your foot to the ground as you've seen me doing it in the video I posted above and play without playing the chords, but by thinking only of the strumming. You haven't yet told me if you tried this technique and how it feels - has it worked for you so far?

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 22 2014, 07:19 AM
That's true, I did give any feedback on your suggestion.
Honestly, it is great. I could see some details on the strumming that I wouldn't able to see as well as on the chords switching. I should use this method with easier strums since the lesson is not so easy to follow with ghost strums and muted strums.
Thanks a lot
Carmine

This post has been edited by Carmine Marotta: Jul 22 2014, 07:20 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2014, 05:26 PM
Instructor
The pleasure is all mine, Carmine and I am glad to see that you get to use the method and feel progress occurring smile.gif

Please do keep me updated about the lesson and if you have more questions, I'm here to assist wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:33 AM