2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Guitar Quality Control, Are we really getting the best from our favourite brands?
Todd Simpson
Apr 6 2014, 10:46 PM
GMC:er
Well said!!! smile.gif When I bought these about a year apart, it wasn't becausue I liked Ibanez guitars. These were just the best playing guitars on the day I went to the music shop with money in my pocket. smile.gif Lucky for me, I found two killer guitars that have become much sought after among shredders. Had no idea at the time smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 6 2014, 01:09 PM) *
Hehe smile.gif Todd and Ken, it's great to hold on to a piece of gear that you know, deep down inside, it will be valuable regardless of the age, situation or whatnot.

I think that the true value of gear, kind of shows up after it's actual production period - it's just like with famous painters or writers, they become famous after they are dead smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 7 2014, 10:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 6 2014, 09:46 PM) *
Well said!!! smile.gif When I bought these about a year apart, it wasn't becausue I liked Ibanez guitars. These were just the best playing guitars on the day I went to the music shop with money in my pocket. smile.gif Lucky for me, I found two killer guitars that have become much sought after among shredders. Had no idea at the time smile.gif

Todd

So you actually went to the music shop, having money but not going for something in particular - am I right?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2014, 04:05 AM
Correct smile.gif I new I wanted to find a nice guitar but that was it. So I played every guitar in the shop. It took the entire day each time. Both times I got down to one guitar. In both cases it was an old, used ibanez. smile.gif Later on, I started seeing folks in various forums asking about the 550,560,565 series and the 7620 mij. Just kept coming up. Come to find out, both of the ones I ended up with are big faves among many shredsters. So i sorta lucked out as they were both there on the days I went shopping smile.gif

But yeah, I always try to go in open minded with money in hand and just play everything and throw the entire day at it. Recently I bought that ESP Grave and BC Rich Mockingbird, but neither one felt like a "keeper" once the newness wore off so I got rid of them. They just didn't compare to the old Ibanez in terms of playability. I fear I"m just ruined by the Ibby necks smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 7 2014, 05:32 AM) *
So you actually went to the music shop, having money but not going for something in particular - am I right?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2014, 07:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 8 2014, 03:05 AM) *
Correct smile.gif I new I wanted to find a nice guitar but that was it. So I played every guitar in the shop. It took the entire day each time. Both times I got down to one guitar. In both cases it was an old, used ibanez. smile.gif Later on, I started seeing folks in various forums asking about the 550,560,565 series and the 7620 mij. Just kept coming up. Come to find out, both of the ones I ended up with are big faves among many shredsters. So i sorta lucked out as they were both there on the days I went shopping smile.gif

But yeah, I always try to go in open minded with money in hand and just play everything and throw the entire day at it. Recently I bought that ESP Grave and BC Rich Mockingbird, but neither one felt like a "keeper" once the newness wore off so I got rid of them. They just didn't compare to the old Ibanez in terms of playability. I fear I"m just ruined by the Ibby necks smile.gif

Todd

Having an open mind about things when going to buy something is one of the best things smile.gif I haven't honestly given it much thought, but now I see your great point: choose something that fits you entirely, tried and tested, not something that looks shiny and praised by other people wink.gif

Thank you sir smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2014, 02:42 AM
That sums it up perfectly!! smile.gif Trust your hands and ears above pretty much everything else. There have been many times I pulled down a guitar to try just because it looked sexy, but more often than not, I put it right back after playing.

Doing your guitar shopping this way can be VERY time consuming, but the results are often much better than trying to buy from a picture online or what not smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 9 2014, 02:22 AM) *
Having an open mind about things when going to buy something is one of the best things smile.gif I haven't honestly given it much thought, but now I see your great point: choose something that fits you entirely, tried and tested, not something that looks shiny and praised by other people wink.gif

Thank you sir smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 10 2014, 12:08 PM
Instructor
I totally agree smile.gif Now with the PRS endorsement, I am getting my hands on pretty much all the PRSs in the dealer's stock so I will follow your advice and instead of going straight for the DC3, which I wanted, I will try them all and get the one I feel most comfy with and that also has the sound I like. So far, it has been the Santana SE smile.gif But in the following weeks I am getting the Tremonti and the Zach Myers models and maybe some Maryland mades as well. We'll see, but I will CERTAINLY NOT hurry with this decision!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:52 PM