The Power Of Slow - Reloaded
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 3 2012, 10:18 AM
Instructor
Because we all tell each other to slow down, I will add a story here, about what happened to me yesterday.

I was in a small village near Bucharest at the Kenjutsu Winter Seminar, where we enjoyed 6 hours of sword training and an exam. At first, I thought it would be a great idea to have the exam yesterday, but somehow, I changed my mind and just attended the seminar and watched the exam.

I was so right to do this smile.gif The examination was done with real swords and if you are not used to the weight and feel, you have all the chances to flunk. Instead, Sensei said that I have started to show signs of good technique and that he thinks I am on the right path smile.gif I think I took the right decision by not jumping head first into this exam.

About slow... well, like in guitar playing, everything must be done slow and perfect first - you are not going to war tomorrow as with the guitar - you are not going onstage with Steve Vai and Joe Satriani tomorrow.

Building up a healthy and correct technique is of utmost importance and this whole sword thing makes me rejoice the power of slow on the guitar again smile.gif These days, I have to do everything FAST in order to get it done on time and I don't always throw in the best I can, just because it wouldn't be ready when expected - not only in the musical activities but in general.

Take the time and enjoy every note you play - it can be a simple chord or ...the right note, in the right bar, against the right chord, at the right time, with the right interpretation tongue.gif

This being said, don't forget to slow down and enjoy! What's the thing you are currently practicing? How slow can you practice it, by keeping balance, timing and good interpretation? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 3 2012, 11:56 AM
Instructor
True words, comrade !

I think it was a good decision to just enjoy the seminar with no added pressure of an exam, which may have even set you back further in you mindset if you have not passed. This way you came away with nothing but great experiences and your Sensei said you're beginning to get good technique so it was better to preserve and nourish what you're developing. smile.gif

And yes, the application here to guitar is important. It's better to take a bit longer and get it right.. what's a few minutes or hours when the result is greater ? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Blister
Dec 3 2012, 02:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Excellent analogy! That makes perfect sense.
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 3 2012, 04:18 AM) *
About slow... well, like in guitar playing, everything must be done slow and perfect first - you are not going to war tomorrow as with the guitar - you are not going onstage with Steve Vai and Joe Satriani tomorrow.

I love this quote above. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2012, 04:40 PM
Instructor
Great post Cosmin! Your words are very inspiring on this one. I can't agree more. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
azureus
Dec 3 2012, 06:05 PM
GMC:er
Verry nice story smile.gif

And yes SLOW ,we have constant to think on it ,becouse our mind is slow to accept !he he

+Quote Post
quadrium
Dec 3 2012, 08:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
Indeed! I am finally seeing some benefits of it. I always sucked at sweep picking. But since i started practicing slowly and slowly i got really better at this. In fact i can interprete 5-string sweeping easily now smile.gif

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 4 2012, 07:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 3 2012, 09:18 AM) *
Because we all tell each other to slow down, I will add a story here, about what happened to me yesterday.

I was in a small village near Bucharest at the Kenjutsu Winter Seminar, where we enjoyed 6 hours of sword training and an exam. At first, I thought it would be a great idea to have the exam yesterday, but somehow, I changed my mind and just attended the seminar and watched the exam.

I was so right to do this smile.gif The examination was done with real swords and if you are not used to the weight and feel, you have all the chances to flunk. Instead, Sensei said that I have started to show signs of good technique and that he thinks I am on the right path smile.gif I think I took the right decision by not jumping head first into this exam.

Building up a healthy and correct technique is of utmost importance and this whole sword thing makes me rejoice the power of slow on the guitar again smile.gif These days, I have to do everything FAST in order to get it done on time and I don't always throw in the best I can, just because it wouldn't be ready when expected - not only in the musical activities but in general.

Take the time and enjoy every note you play - it can be a simple chord or ...the right note, in the right bar, against the right chord, at the right time, with the right interpretation tongue.gif

This being said, don't forget to slow down and enjoy! What's the thing you are currently practicing? How slow can you practice it, by keeping balance, timing and good interpretation? smile.gif

Very true man! It takes a lot of time to get it right but once you do you don't have to worry about it anymore! You got it! Muscles will remember it and you will master it! This is a perfect example mate! Like it a lot! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2012, 08:36 AM
Instructor
Thank you gentlemen! The next exam is in March so, since this Christmas I am planning to give myself an awesome present biggrin.gif That means a sword of course, I will be able to handle the task using my own tools wink.gif

Until then I will enjoy slow practicing in order to train both mind and hands with the guitar and the sword as well!

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 4 2012, 08:45 AM
GMC:er
The frustrating part for me is that often by playing slow, it is easy to play the piece "in time" and with what I believe to be the correct technique.Yet when I try to play same piece at desired speed, technique falls apart

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2012, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonyk @ Dec 4 2012, 07:45 AM) *
The frustrating part for me is that often by playing slow, it is easy to play the piece "in time" and with what I believe to be the correct technique.Yet when I try to play same piece at desired speed, technique falls apart

The step must not be abrupt, mate! Good technique is grown in time - you must trick your brain by incrementing small units each time you want to push yourself to higher speeds - sometimes, 1 BPM/ week is a complete victory!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:58 AM