Expressive/dynamic Pickup Shifting Lesson?
Ajmurrell
Sep 8 2008, 01:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
I was wondering if there were any existing lessons that incorporate lots of technical pickup shifting?

I'm not sure if I have the correct name for the technique, but would love to learn how to be more expressive with bends and runs by knowing which pickup to possibly shift from and too to create a more dynamic sound.

If there isn't a lesson in this area, could I maybe suggest one?! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 8 2008, 02:27 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Check out some lessons from Marcus Lavendel. I think you will find that he jumps from the neck to the bridge quite a bit. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 8 2008, 03:12 PM
Instructor
Good question, I sometimes change pickups in the middle of a solo, but simply because I feel a certain section sounds better on a different sound. To me the neck pickup has a nice rich tone when playing alternate picking runs higher up the fretboard. So if I get a chance, I will change it.

If I want a more sharp/cutting/aggressive sound I use the bridge. There is a lesson when I switch pickups right before going to the faster stuff. But it is not really focused on pickup shifting, just has one pickup change to give the rest of the solo a different feel.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ck-guitar-solo/

You should notice the sound difference, but definitely you can probably hear that note that didn't ring out because my hand stopped the string from vibrating when changing to the neck pickup, for this solo it iwas hard to do because I didn't have much time to make the change.

Good idea for a topic lesson, I will keep this in mind when creating my next solo lesson, to have a few changes in the solo and give different parts of it a different sound

cheers

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 8 2008, 03:19 PM
GMC:er
I really agree with Jose... The bridge neck pick up has a certain quality about it that makes it very smooth - I find it useful with sweeping/legato techniques... AP sounds smooth with it too. The bridge pick up has a lot of treble and attack, I LOVE this setting for big bad ass bends. Very expressive. Just experiment with it, you don't even really need a lesson on it. Do what sounds good to you!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:08 PM