Can You Guys Help Me Out With A Constant Problem?, With bends and vibrato
Praetorian
Aug 26 2009, 01:47 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I always have these "ghost" sounds that I don't want when bending and vibrato. Here is a sound clip of what I am talking about. No matter how many times I practice the same bends, they are there. When I bend into the other strings, and then release, the strings that were "bumped into" will sound off. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Aug 26 2009, 01:49 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  bending_problem.mp3 ( 88.16K ) Number of downloads: 199

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 26 2009, 01:52 AM
GMC:er
Yes, what you're not doing is muting the other strings. With left hand you can do this with any spare finger behind the one(s) fretting. If you look closely at some players, they're doing that with the index finger when it is not otherwise being used.

Alternately, and depending on the tempo of the piece you're playing, you can use your right hand for this as well. Most recent example of this that I can recall is in Piotr's very popular "Guitar Loves Piano" lesson. Watch his right hand, he mutes a number of different ways.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 26 2009, 02:06 AM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Aug 25 2009, 08:52 PM) *
Yes, what you're not doing is muting the other strings. With left hand you can do this with any spare finger behind the one(s) fretting. If you look closely at some players, they're doing that with the index finger when it is not otherwise being used.

Alternately, and depending on the tempo of the piece you're playing, you can use your right hand for this as well. Most recent example of this that I can recall is in Piotr's very popular "Guitar Loves Piano" lesson. Watch his right hand, he mutes a number of different ways.

Crap. I have no idea how to do that!

edit: I checked out the Guitar loves piano lesson you mentioned....and I see know what you mean! Thanks!!!!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Aug 26 2009, 02:09 AM

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Aug 26 2009, 02:09 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Jafomatic has given you a great place to start. That lesson is a very good one to learn muting and vibrato control.

Just to add another thought on this subject. I have also heard this type of tone created by pickups being to close to the strings. The magnetic pull on the string is to much and won't let things ring right.

A video might help use pin point things more accurate though.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 26 2009, 02:27 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Aug 25 2009, 09:09 PM) *
Jafomatic has given you a great place to start. That lesson is a very good one to learn muting and vibrato control.

Just to add another thought on this subject. I have also heard this type of tone created by pickups being to close to the strings. The magnetic pull on the string is to much and won't let things ring right.

A video might help use pin point things more accurate though.

Hmmm...I'll try and get some pics or a video up as well!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2009, 04:38 PM
Instructor
It's a very common issue man, don't worry and just try to practice the muting slowly along side with bending and vibrato. There will be often some string noise when you bend, sometimes it just cannot be muted completely, but what you can do is minimize it even more, use your picking hand to mute the strings above the one you are bending, it's a delicate technique, but focus on it while practicing and it will show later in your playing as well. Try with several slightly different angles of the fretting finger (the one that bends) to experiment what angle gives you less noise.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 26 2009, 04:44 PM
To clarify, if you're not using your index finger for the bend, you can gently lay it across ALL the strings. There's plenty of time to do so, fortunately, because the noise you're getting is occurring at release. That still leaves two very strong fingers to support the bend.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 26 2009, 04:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
If you have for instance a bend on the D string, then the E and A strings are on the high side of your bend, and the G, B and other E string are on the low side. The notes ont he low side can be muted with your index, the notes on the high side with your wrist, kinda like palm muting

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Aug 26 2009, 08:59 PM
Mayby this lesson can clarify a few things for you. I used this lesson myself for practicing bending, and if I may say so, it improved my bending very much !

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-heaven-lesson/

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:54 AM