Tone Destruction, My favorite ways to make a mess...
Scott Gentzen
Mar 26 2008, 04:07 AM
GMC:er
One of the things that attracts me to the guitar is how some players have complely obliterated their tone. Stuff like what Ministry does with guitar sounds. Nirvana's running a SansAmp into a DS1 into a cranked distorting amp. That video of Adrian Belew laying some noise down for NIN's Ghosts project that I posted a little while back. I love that stuff. I don't want sweet warm tones, I want to sound like I'm breaking my gear into little pieces. tongue.gif

The thread about the ElectroHarmonix POG box got me thinking about a list of my favorite pedals. Here's that list....it'll probably be another one of my threads where people think I'm just sick and wrong, but that's ok. It's good therapy.

The Interfax Harmonic Percolator. Interesting box. Only passes even-order harmonics so even when the distortion's cranked, there's still some of the original signal in there. Originals are almost impossible to find but there's a guy named Chuck Collins at Theremaniacs that makes an almost perfect clone. I have one. I love it, and I'll get some sound samples up some day. Here's a video of Steve Albini comparing an original one vs Barge Concepts' copy.
http://www.gearwire.com/bp1-albini-comparison.html

I came across Devi Ever's designs noticing them in some of the photos and videos related to NIN's Ghosts project. He has a bunch of interesting designs. The main theme seems to be putting two effects in one box and having control of how they're blended together. I watch this Dream Mangler video a lot...I love the guitar playing here, but the sounds that this pedal makes are fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOYly0C7OSc

Metasonix creates a special kind of sonic hell for guitar players as well as keyboard/synth players. They make stompboxes that use a lot of odd tubes. Lots of ridiculous distortion available in packages called Butt Probe and Scrotum Smasher and the Wretch Machine which is a tube synth. This year, they 're making their first guitar amp...the...uh..G-1000...a pair of 15-watt amps in a single head enclosure with 23 weird tubes. It's a beautifully disgusting machine but at $5k, I'll never have one.
Scrotum Smasher with sound samples - here
Butt Probe with sound samples - here
The...uh...G-1000 with a video sample (foul language warning) - here

That's all for now. I might add to this in the future if I think of it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 27 2008, 04:04 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I love those weird sounds that Korn get out of their guitars smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 28 2008, 01:20 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I always admire people that can do weird sounds on their instruments using various gear wink.gif You gotta have a good knowledge of you gear to do that wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 29 2008, 01:17 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Agree with you Scott - I sort of first got into the tone 'when is a guitar not a guitar' through Adrian Belew back in the early 80s. I now use it to add atmosphere to soundscapes and stuff. Not guitar but I always find Steve Stapleton/Nurse with Wound an interesting, albeit at times challenging, listen although not essentially guitar stuff. For total sonic destruction early Controlled Bleeding/Paul Lemos (ie Hog Floor and before) were great - sort of stuff though that my wife refuses to let me play if she's in the house rolleyes.gif . If you haven't come across it then take a listen to Pat Metheny's 'Zero tolerance' cd - pure distorted guitar feedback into white noise.

For sound creation/destruction, to some extent apart from the distortion path, I'd also say stuff with oscillators and harmonisers can produce a lot of interesting/weird results. Nowadays for hardware I use an Eventide Eclipse for this sort of stuff.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Mar 29 2008, 04:26 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 29 2008, 08:17 AM) *
Agree with you Scott - I sort of first got into the tone 'when is a guitar not a guitar' through Adrian Belew back in the early 80s. I now use it to add atmosphere to soundscapes and stuff. Not guitar but I always find Steve Stapleton/Nurse with Wound an interesting, albeit at times challenging, listen although not essentially guitar stuff. For total sonic destruction early Controlled Bleeding/Paul Lemos (ie Hog Floor and before) were great - sort of stuff though that my wife refuses to let me play if she's in the house rolleyes.gif . If you haven't come across it then take a listen to Pat Metheny's 'Zero tolerance' cd - pure distorted guitar feedback into white noise.

For sound creation/destruction, to some extent apart from the distortion path, I'd also say stuff with oscillators and harmonisers can produce a lot of interesting/weird results. Nowadays for hardware I use an Eventide Eclipse for this sort of stuff.

Will look into some of the names you dropped. Sounds like fun stuff.

Absolutely there's some great stuff out there that isn't distortion...I'm just on a distortion kkick these days. Eventide has some interesting stuff. Moog has some fantastic pedals for some really bizarre sounds...I love the MoogerFrooger

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 29 2008, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Mar 29 2008, 04:26 PM) *
...I love the MoogerFrooger

Same here Scott - quality stuff from Bob Moog although a bit expensive.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 29 2008, 08:58 PM
Instructor
Brilliant names on the Metasonix pedals smile.gif I never heard of those before

I'm a huge noise/bizarre sounds fan, but i've never really taken the time to dig into the technology behind it all. I learned alot from these posts though, so thanks for the links.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Mar 29 2008, 10:20 PM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 29 2008, 03:58 PM) *
Brilliant names on the Metasonix pedals smile.gif I never heard of those before

I'm a huge noise/bizarre sounds fan, but i've never really taken the time to dig into the technology behind it all. I learned alot from these posts though, so thanks for the links.

Metasonix is a great company. They really seem to work hard at putting together the most rotten sounds possible. I can't wait to see/hear someone really give that amp a workout. The one that's out there so far isn't enough.

The unfortunate thing with the really bizarre effects is that the really unique ones run $300-$400 because they're mostly botique hand-made jobs or or you're spending big bucks chaining together a ton of cheaper gear together to get what you're looking for. Sometimes it's easier to just get a couple Boss pedals and be done with it (not that there's anything wrong with that...I'll have DS-1 some day). I've been looking into information on building your effects.

A lot of the info out there seems to be intended to recreate existing vintage pedals but there are some cool more original designs out there too. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so I might try out a couple of these. I don't really know enough about eletronics to mod them or design them on my own yet infortunately.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 30 2008, 02:47 PM
What may be worth experimenting with if you have time though Scott are software programs like Reaktor that are open enough so that you can build your own vst effects. Again it's not cheap (though there are cheaper alternatives to Reaktor) and you need some spare time to experiment - and of course have to have a pc/mac interface - and maybe not as immediate, or as intuitive, as hardware. However the possible big plus here is it can be very open ended. Just a thought...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Mar 30 2008, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 30 2008, 09:47 AM) *
What may be worth experimenting with if you have time though Scott are software programs like Reaktor that are open enough so that you can build your own vst effects. Again it's not cheap (though there are cheaper alternatives to Reaktor) and you need some spare time to experiment - and of course have to have a pc/mac interface - and maybe not as immediate, or as intuitive, as hardware. However the possible big plus here is it can be very open ended. Just a thought...

I have an audio interface that I can plug direct into. Reaktor's a fantastic program...I don't have it but I've had the opportunity to tinker with it a bit. I could spend a huge amount of time messing around in there. Especially with the interface for building your own sounds from scratch.

Radiohead does some interesting things running the guitar through MAX/MSP too.

The nice thing about the software solutions is that there are a lot of choices for control surfaces out there to give a hardware feel to the software stuff that you've built. Another nice thing if you're messing around with stuff in software is that you can just record a riff and loop it while you're messing with your sound. Easier than playing the guitar while you're tinkering.

I have Reason, which for some reason still doesn't have a way to take a live sound source. I really like how the software works and sounds but to run the guitar through it, I have to record it, then load the .wav into the sampler and then play with it from there.

I still think keyboards and electronica when I open up software like that. Gotta get out of that mode.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:07 AM