3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Paul Gilbert Vip, Anyone been to any of these yet?
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 2 2008, 04:51 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Oct 2 2008, 04:48 PM) *
I'll give him a little card with the site url on it, also ill write down that he should check out his in the style of lessons- how can he forget?!?

Yeah it would be interesting to see what he thought of those in the style of lessons. It would be cool if he just did a one off video for the site maybe for the home page. That would kick arse but he is a busy guy I bet. It's not easy being one of the best guitarists in the world biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Oct 2 2008, 04:53 PM
Acoustic Instructor
Anyway Mr.Gilbert seems to be very friendly.

You guys so lucky  smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pi38
Oct 2 2008, 04:58 PM
I doubt he'll become an instructor here, because he's probably really busy, you know, being one of the best guitarists in the world and such, but it would be insane if he did. Just think about how great that would be. *daydreaming*

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 2 2008, 05:15 PM
This is insane... It really shows that you can only appreciate things that you've suffered for. I'll save the text on my harddrive and delete it from here.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 2 2008, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Oct 2 2008, 06:15 PM) *
This is insane... It really shows that you can only appreciate things that you've suffered for. I'll save the text on my harddrive and delete it from here.

What do you mean?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 2 2008, 05:46 PM
NVM I'm just dissapointed in the response I got for writing down almost every lick + explaination. If you want the text for reference when trying the new licks just PM me.

This post has been edited by Oxac: Oct 2 2008, 05:48 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Oct 2 2008, 05:51 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Oct 2 2008, 05:46 PM) *
NVM I'm just dissapointed in the response I got for writing down almost every lick + explaination. If you want the text for reference when trying the new licks just PM me.

Aww!

I was using that until my friend x'd out of the window.. sad.gif it was good info.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 2 2008, 06:08 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Oxac @ Oct 2 2008, 05:46 PM) *

Im a little confused- did you post it to help others or for praise? I most certainly would have thanked you for it as soon as i got round to reading it - it was quite alot of text and i've had other things to do, I'm sure others feel the same.

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 2 2008, 06:27 PM
Then pm me for it. I did it to help other people. I just got frustrated when almost all I get is some kind of twisted jelousy and the feeling that I dissappointed them by not telling him about GMC.

I mean, if you create a lesson on something you wouldn't really feel happy if someone commented your guitar and asked why you didn't make a lesson on something else instead...

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 2 2008, 06:36 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Its an open discussion created by a user other than yourself- if you did not get the response you wanted then perhaps you should create your own thread with the information you previously posted.

And i'm sure that no instructor has ever removed a lesson for not getting a "wow amazing thanks" response that they may have wanted- but those responses would usually come sooner or later anyway when users have actually had time to see the content.

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 2 2008, 07:09 PM
If you want to discuss this with me feel free to move it to PMs or the chat. Let's not invade this topic. Also, that was partially the reason. I wasn't sure if it was such of a smart thing to do to post them in the open. Might ruin the fun for those who want to attend and this is also a way for Paul to earn his money. Seems like a bootleg of the VIP thing.

Also, my personality is:

Paranoia, Sensitivity with added narcism probably. Put this together and you understand why.

This post has been edited by Oxac: Oct 2 2008, 07:11 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 3 2008, 08:57 AM
Oh god dang it, I can be so frikkin' emotional some times. Especially when I have a fever. But I have to say, the best way to get the info back wouldn't have been to start a fight about it... Best way would have been something like: Now you're just being silly, there were many who would have thanked you in a couple of hours. Now please upload the info again...

anyways here it is again.

Yeah, it was great! It worked much better for me this time. I attended VIP in Svendborg as well and I was really effin' nervous, but this time I was much more calm. Paul is probably the best famous guitar player to have your first "famous guitar player" jam with. He's got the perfect mixture of self esteem, Self-knowledge, Empathy and MAD guitar skills to make the perfect role-model. Really, really nice guy. Oh, here's some answers to questions I remember.

ME: How did you think when coming up with the arpeggio stringskippin' lick in the Norwegian cowbell?
Paul: The stringskipping arpeggio... it's this one. WROOOOOOM!!!!

Okay, so what I've done is just outlining the chords. It's a little tricky though, because first they happen on beat. Then they move on to syncopation, so I had to change the amount of notes to match the changes.

It's rather funny because I recorded the song the day after I composed it so I had to tell my producer that section of the song in small pieces. Doing like one or two bars at a time. It is a very hard section and I haven't had enough time to practise to nail it in one step so that's how we did it. Then of course, I had to play it live and I was like UUuuuh.

Actually I did most of my practise of that section when traveling, like imaginating the guitar neck and going through the arpeggios, pattern and changes etc. It's based on patterns I already knew and played a lot, so it was more the position switches I had to remember. Next!

X: How can I improve on vibrato when bending? or if it was just bending, don't remember correctly. But Paul gave away some cool licks and he also told us that he likes the Idea of placing the side of the indexfinger to the "downside" of the guitar neck so that it becomes like a lever, exactly like BBKing. And this is the lick he showed us.

(I forgot the exact lick, but I remember the Idea, which I think is most important)

Let's do it in A.

(3th string, which is the G-string)

2-4b5r-2-5b7r-4 etc.

How can I write an etc on a lick? Here it is explained

The lick is really 4b5r-2 -> pick the fourth fret (cool.gif, bend 1/2 step to C (fifth fret), pick the second fret (A) These notes are from A aolian and A dorian. Now just do that lick going up the scale. The point of this is to encounter both 1/2 tone bends like 4 bend 5 release. And whole tone bends like 5 bend to 7, release. That can be done in all scales and it sounds really cool as well. Something that is good for your technique and something you can use when improvising. THat's Pauls method biggrin.gif

Another exercise he showed us was a 1 1/5 step bend, like F - A. Many people forget these bends, but they're awesome. What he did is first to bend it all the way up, then dive down to F, bend up to a, dive down to F to mimic the effect of a whammy bar. Pretty cool thing if you like fixed bridges.

Another cool lick he showed, kinda bluesy, can be modulated to Major to get a kind of country feel to it.

Picking is supposed to be VERY staccato and done with confidense and convictions. Otherwise this lick sounds crap.

1st string: 8-7b8rp-5 repeat on the second and third string and land on the A note on the fourth string (7th fret)

Transcribed to major: First and second string: 9-7b9rp-5 third string: 7-6b7rp-5
land on the A note again. Really cool lick, modulate it to other scales to get cool licks out of it. In words it's pick the first note, pick the second and bend up to the first note, release to the second note and pull off to the third.

More things... hmm... Oh yeah: The chord progression of six million people, I love that song, but I've never been able to figure them out: Oh, that's the chords I learned at school. They had us play like the major scale but in chords. You should really take a couple of lessons from a Jazz guitarist, he'll show them to you in a heart beat. But it starts out with F major seven, *shows fingering*, moves on to E minor seven, and then there's this chord, I love it very much. It's great for pop, beatles used it a lot. it's a min7b5 chord. Best described as play the D minor chord with the root at the fifth fret fifth string. then change the root to B (seventh fret, 6th string), you have to rework the fingering though.

I thought this was very vague so I transcribed the song myself. I dunno if it's okay to post a chord progression here so I won't do that. If you mail me I'd be willing to write it to you though.

That's not everything of course. We had tons of jamming and a couple of more questions, but I dare not to write them all. Also, it means a lot of work for me. I had a great time though and I would recommend this to everyone (that plays solo guitar) beginner or pro, Paul will give you plenty of tips, you'll be able to pick up licks from the other guys and you'll have a GREAT time.

The concert afterwards was AWESOME as well.

Here's a video clip of the rehersal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DeT_-JOnw

Thanks for reading.

part 2

yeah, sure I can give a couple of hints for the rest of the licks.

This one involves 2 strings: B and G

B take a not, bend it up a whole tone, and grap the G-string, it should now be bent like a semitone. Pick the G-string and release the bend.

Then there's the psycho lick from a song I can't remember. Kind bucketheadish.

start on the 6th string.

tap the 19th note, pull off to the 12th, hammer on the 17th fret.

you have the triads going up in octaves. Example.

E-----------------------9--12---
B-------------------10----------3d octave
G-------------6--9--------------
D----------7--------------------2nd octave
A----4--7-----------------------
E-5------------------------------1st octave

you can also skip the third providing

E-------------------12------
B---------------10----------3d octave
G------------9--------------
D--------7------------------2nd octave
A----7----------------------
E-5-------------------------1st octave

his classical outside picking/alternating lick and any pair of strings separated by a perfect fourth interval.

starting with an upstroke
5------------
--8-7-5-7-8

Here's a couple of licks from the other VIP thingy I was on.

tapping lick he showed me: (the T is for tap)

T---------T
7p-3-h5-7p-5p-3

a cool bending lick that works good on the E and B string run up a scale with this and you'll sound like a GOD, probably like PG biggrin.gif Starting with an 8th note followed by 3 16th notes.

E----5-5-5-
B-8b-------

now, that's all I can think of.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 5 2008, 11:29 PM
And here's the pick of me and Paul!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:08 AM