2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hi Again And Some Advice Please
liveOASISforever
Jan 2 2021, 10:22 AM
GMC:er
Hi

Just signed back up to GMC.Its being a while. Happy new year to everyone.

A stopped playing guitar for a while as I was suffering from pain in my hands all the way up my arms into my shoulders. Its still ongoing and really annoying. Still trying to get answers from the doctors.In doing so I found out I was type 1 diabetic. So now having to inject insulin everyday for the rest of my life.

The pain a get just makes it difficult to practice guitar for long without my hands seizing up.

I started practicing again recently and was using positive grid through my 2010 iMac. It would end up freezing and taking forever to load anything. So a have being looking at getting a new computer. There is a local shop that has a great reputation for building computers. I was thinking for the price of a iMac a could just get a computer built for me. It would be nice to play some games on it and run all my guitar programs and Daws smoothly. Here is a link to the one I was looking at https://www.utopiacomputers.co.uk/pandora.

My knowledge about computers is not very good. Am sure there will be people on here that know there stuff. So what do you think about that computer. A like how its compact and easily upgradeable. A feel thats where the iMac is limited.

Thanks in advance
Sean.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jan 2 2021, 11:14 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey mate.

That has to be good enough. It got an i7 processor en 32 gb ram thats a lot mate.
I run an i5 processor with a 250 gb SSD and 16 gb Ram so it will definitely be enough for recording and use for music.
However i don't know enough about gaming what you need but for the music its very good 🙂
Good new year and with playing guutar?

Greetz tim

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 2 2021, 11:34 AM
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 2 2021, 09:22 AM) *

Hey sean sorry to hear you were in pain, I hope things will get easier for you in time.

The website you shared seems very professional. Obviously they'll give you better info than us but here's what I know;

Cpu; Get AMD instead of intel. Currently AMD is the winner of price vs performance.

Graphics cards; I'm not a gamer so not really knowledgeable on these but have a friend at a university doing vr/3d stuff for medical purposes. He told me nvidia is the main tech. developer currently and pro's often prefer this brand. If you're open to pay a lot for graphics likely this is the brand you want.

Motherboard; This is the most tricky as the model change depending on the parts you choose. But one thing not to forget is make sure it has enough usb outputs.It's not a hard rule but if you have to prefer between 2 options, the expensive one usually has a longer lifespan (computers mostly die because of motherboard failure on the long run).

SSD/harddisk; there are 3 types of storage options;

M2; Newest and fastest tech. , this is where you load windows and run programs. Dowside is they're most expensive, and I don't recommend getting a small size. M2's and SSD's have a limited amounth of write capability and after that they die, so the bigger the capacity the longer they survive.

SSD; Still pretty fast and most common these days. Get Samsung brand if possible, they're considered the best.

Harddisk; If you want lots of storage without paying too much its still a great option.

So get 2 harddisk for best system stability. I run my system on an ssd and store stuff on harddisk. Since this leaves the ssd a lot of free space it runs very healthy.

RAM; 3600mhz speed option is often recommended for best performance. 16gb should get you gaming anything but 32gb is more of a guarantine on the longer run.

Some notes;

For audio and hobbyist setup you don't need a powerful computer to get things running. If you think you'll ever get into midi (drums, keyboards etc.) then ram becomes important.

When I don't have an opinion on part selection, I never go with the cheapest or most expensive and that worked well for me till now. And as said the website seems nice and I'm sure they'll figure out everything for you, likely it will mostly be about the cost which you'll think most on.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 2 2021, 11:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 2 2021, 12:13 PM
QUOTE (tflava @ Jan 2 2021, 10:14 AM) *
Hey mate.

That has to be good enough. It got an i7 processor en 32 gb ram thats a lot mate.
I run an i5 processor with a 250 gb SSD and 16 gb Ram so it will definitely be enough for recording and use for music.
However i don't know enough about gaming what you need but for the music its very good 🙂
Good new year and with playing guutar?

Greetz tim

Hi Tim

Thats good to know biggrin.gif . I think I would like to get a computer thats more powerful for my current needs. I won't be gaming much but would be nice to have a system that can run games smoothly.

Same to you mate cheers.
Sean

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 2 2021, 10:34 AM) *
Hey sean sorry to hear you were in pain, I hope things will get easier for you in time.

The website you shared seems very professional. Obviously they'll give you better info than us but here's what I know;

Cpu; Get AMD instead of intel. Currently AMD is the winner of price vs performance.

Graphics cards; I'm not a gamer so not really knowledgeable on these but have a friend at a university doing vr/3d stuff for medical purposes. He told me nvidia is the main tech. developer currently and pro's often prefer this brand. If you're open to pay a lot for graphics likely this is the brand you want.

Motherboard; This is the most tricky as the model change depending on the parts you choose. But one thing not to forget is make sure it has enough usb outputs.It's not a hard rule but if you have to prefer between 2 options, the expensive one usually has a longer lifespan (computers mostly die because of motherboard failure on the long run).

SSD/harddisk; there are 3 types of storage options;

M2; Newest and fastest tech. , this is where you load windows and run programs. Dowside is they're most expensive, and I don't recommend getting a small size. M2's and SSD's have a limited amounth of write capability and after that they die, so the bigger the capacity the longer they survive.

SSD; Still pretty fast and most common these days. Get Samsung brand if possible, they're considered the best.

Harddisk; If you want lots of storage without paying too much its still a great option.

So get 2 harddisk for best system stability. I run my system on an ssd and store stuff on harddisk. Since this leaves the ssd a lot of free space it runs very healthy.

RAM; 3600mhz speed option is often recommended for best performance. 16gb should get you gaming anything but 32gb is more of a guarantine on the longer run.

Some notes;

For audio and hobbyist setup you don't need a powerful computer to get things running. If you think you'll ever get into midi (drums, keyboards etc.) then ram becomes important.

When I don't have an opinion on part selection, I never go with the cheapest or most expensive and that worked well for me till now. And as said the website seems nice and I'm sure they'll figure out everything for you, likely it will mostly be about the cost which you'll think most on.

Hi Mertay

Thats a lot of great information. Thanks for taking the time to write that. I have contacted Utopia via email. As far as am aware they had stopped builds until January the 6th.I think there is a queue of people waiting for builds as they have being extremely busy.

I payed around £1200 back in 2010 for my iMac and looking at current models it would probably cost me £1400. So a am happy to pay up to that amount.I would like a system that is more powerful fo my current needs so I have the option in the future if my needs change.

Once again thanks for your reply biggrin.gif Am trying to get a better understanding of computers
Sean

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2021, 04:41 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!! Welcome back! I'm sorry about your hands pain and diabetes mate. On the other hand, I'm happy to know that you are back to guitar. I hope that your doctors can help you to get better and better. All my most positive thoughts.

I can't help you too much with computers, but I'll follow this thread since I also need to update my PC soon!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 2 2021, 06:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Sean,

Welcome back, sorry to hear about your Type 1 diabetes, look after yourself buddy, I'm sure you know how careful you have to be with that.

That computer looks ideal.

This is mine, I upgraded to 32gb of ram and added a second HD. It runs everything I need, it ran Shadow Of Tomb Raider easily and it runs two outboard monitors https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs...top-no-firewire

Have a look around the Scan site for the specs of their audio and gaming computers.

Cheers

Stay safe

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 2 2021, 07:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 2 2021, 10:22 AM) *
Hi

Just signed back up to GMC.Its being a while. Happy new year to everyone.

https://www.utopiacomputers.co.uk/pandora.

Thanks in advance
Sean.

as everyone has said, this unit far exceeds your needs for music, but it is a good piece for editing music/videos together for the future. One option I regret not getting on mine is a THUNDERBOLT port. You could get half the computer with a thunder bolt port ( connectivity to your interface) and it will out perform the one you have picked out. If the mother board does not support it. you can never upgrade to this.

oh, and , um , welcome back

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 2 2021, 07:47 PM
For more info about Thunderbolt look here https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-thunderbolt/

I don't have it though.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 3 2021, 11:29 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 2 2021, 03:41 PM) *
Hi mate!! Welcome back! I'm sorry about your hands pain and diabetes mate. On the other hand, I'm happy to know that you are back to guitar. I hope that your doctors can help you to get better and better. All my most positive thoughts.

I can't help you too much with computers, but I'll follow this thread since I also need to update my PC soon!

Thanks a lot Gab. A really enjoyed your recent single Boicot. Thought it was excellent mate smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 2 2021, 05:06 PM) *
Hello Sean,

Welcome back, sorry to hear about your Type 1 diabetes, look after yourself buddy, I'm sure you know how careful you have to be with that.

That computer looks ideal.

This is mine, I upgraded to 32gb of ram and added a second HD. It runs everything I need, it ran Shadow Of Tomb Raider easily and it runs two outboard monitors https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs...top-no-firewire

Have a look around the Scan site for the specs of their audio and gaming computers.

Cheers

Stay safe

Cheers Phil.Yeah it can get quite dangerous when my blood sugars drop low and a hypo. Had it a few times now and its quite a scary feeling.

Nice one thanks a lot a will check it out.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 3 2021, 11:30 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome to have you back mate 😊I know you are very serious about your progress and I remember you working hard on improving your timing!

I hope you will get better soon and that you will find some comfort here in the community 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 3 2021, 11:35 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 2 2021, 06:01 PM) *
as everyone has said, this unit far exceeds your needs for music, but it is a good piece for editing music/videos together for the future. One option I regret not getting on mine is a THUNDERBOLT port. You could get half the computer with a thunder bolt port ( connectivity to your interface) and it will out perform the one you have picked out. If the mother board does not support it. you can never upgrade to this.

oh, and , um , welcome back

Thats why I like asking for some advice. I never knew about this. Thanks.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 2 2021, 06:47 PM) *
For more info about Thunderbolt look here https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-thunderbolt/

I don't have it though.

Thanks again Phil. Am going to check it out smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 3 2021, 10:30 AM) *
Awesome to have you back mate 😊I know you are very serious about your progress and I remember you working hard on improving your timing!

I hope you will get better soon and that you will find some comfort here in the community 👊

Yeah its still my main problem. Going to be working on it even going back to very basics.

Thanks its good to be back Kris cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2021, 05:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 3 2021, 07:29 AM) *
Thanks a lot Gab. A really enjoyed your recent single Boicot. Thought it was excellent mate smile.gif

Thanks a lot!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2021, 04:18 AM
Mac computers are switching to a new type of chip and the most ram you can get in one is 16gb. You can get a Mac mini with an SSD and 16gb ram and the new chip for about $1,000. However, it's very new and most of the software has still not been re written for it yet.

The machine you have picked out is very nice and should be able to run just about anything for years to come. Thunderbolt is always a nice option. Just tell the guys at the shop you'd like to have a motherboard that supports thunderbolt smile.gif

Welcome back!! I used to have pain in my arms/wrists as well and it was from not warming up/stretching properly and from using too much pick/fret pressure. So here is my warmup stretch video that I suggest you do before each practice session and after each one. Also, try to use as little pick strike pressure as possible. use a pointy, thick pick and a bit of extra gain. Also use as little fret pressure as possible.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 5 2021, 07:45 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 5 2021, 03:18 AM) *
Mac computers are switching to a new type of chip and the most ram you can get in one is 16gb. You can get a Mac mini with an SSD and 16gb ram and the new chip for about $1,000. However, it's very new and most of the software has still not been re written for it yet.

The machine you have picked out is very nice and should be able to run just about anything for years to come. Thunderbolt is always a nice option. Just tell the guys at the shop you'd like to have a motherboard that supports thunderbolt smile.gif

Welcome back!! I used to have pain in my arms/wrists as well and it was from not warming up/stretching properly and from using too much pick/fret pressure. So here is my warmup stretch video that I suggest you do before each practice session and after each one. Also, try to use as little pick strike pressure as possible. use a pointy, thick pick and a bit of extra gain. Also use as little fret pressure as possible.

Hi Todd

Never knew that. A did see a iMac online that was a 27inch , 5k with 32GB ram for £5000. Way out of my budget. Even if I had the money a probably wouldn't pay that .

Spoke to Utopia via email today. I did mention about the thunderbolt . Hopefully get the ball rolling soon. Really looking forward to getting a new PC. Also looking to get a big monitor. I find it difficult to focus on the iMac.

Thanks good to be back. I remember watching this video a while ago and trying the stretches out. I will give it ago again. Over the last week a have being working on keeping everything light. Definitely being really bad in the past for being tense and holding everything tight.Sometimes when doing faster alternating picking a feel the pick moving from the position I was holding it. I must be gripping the pick to lightly. Just need to find the right balance and as you say use a pointy thick pick.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2021, 10:42 PM
The new macs don't have INTEL chips in them anymore. DON"T BUY AN INTEL MAC no matter what. They are going away for good. Apple is moving to the new M1 chips. Yeah, the new Mac Mini starts at $600.

You are probably better off with the PC as it will be a while til all the sotware folks make new software that takes advantage of the new MAC chips.

As for a display, I hate having a small computer display so I've been using a large HDTV for years I attach my laptop via HDMI to a 50 inch HDTV and bam! I also have a 40 inch HDVT at my mix position so I've got two places to be able to work which is handy.

It's natural to tense up when playing fast bits, but it's not good. It causes all kinds of problems. Teaching the body to stay relaxed takes time. It's something we work on in BOOTCAMP quite a bit. Some tips

1.)Get a pick with zero bend/flex to it. Also, with a sharp point. The IBANEZ JTC picks are a good option and are cheaper than boutique picks. For now I"d stay away from anything made of ULTEX. It's got too much flex to it.

2.)Focus on playing with a light touch. No matter what you are playing.

Notice the lovely bevel and point on this pick. It's a great design for aiding the hand and preventing injury.

Attached Image
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 5 2021, 02:45 PM) *
Hi Todd

Never knew that. A did see a iMac online that was a 27inch , 5k with 32GB ram for £5000. Way out of my budget. Even if I had the money a probably wouldn't pay that .

Spoke to Utopia via email today. I did mention about the thunderbolt . Hopefully get the ball rolling soon. Really looking forward to getting a new PC. Also looking to get a big monitor. I find it difficult to focus on the iMac.

Thanks good to be back. I remember watching this video a while ago and trying the stretches out. I will give it ago again. Over the last week a have being working on keeping everything light. Definitely being really bad in the past for being tense and holding everything tight.Sometimes when doing faster alternating picking a feel the pick moving from the position I was holding it. I must be gripping the pick to lightly. Just need to find the right balance and as you say use a pointy thick pick.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 7 2021, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 5 2021, 09:42 PM) *
The new macs don't have INTEL chips in them anymore. DON"T BUY AN INTEL MAC no matter what. They are going away for good. Apple is moving to the new M1 chips. Yeah, the new Mac Mini starts at $600.

You are probably better off with the PC as it will be a while til all the sotware folks make new software that takes advantage of the new MAC chips.

As for a display, I hate having a small computer display so I've been using a large HDTV for years I attach my laptop via HDMI to a 50 inch HDTV and bam! I also have a 40 inch HDVT at my mix position so I've got two places to be able to work which is handy.

It's natural to tense up when playing fast bits, but it's not good. It causes all kinds of problems. Teaching the body to stay relaxed takes time. It's something we work on in BOOTCAMP quite a bit. Some tips

1.)Get a pick with zero bend/flex to it. Also, with a sharp point. The IBANEZ JTC picks are a good option and are cheaper than boutique picks. For now I"d stay away from anything made of ULTEX. It's got too much flex to it.

2.)Focus on playing with a light touch. No matter what you are playing.

Notice the lovely bevel and point on this pick. It's a great design for aiding the hand and preventing injury.

Attached Image

At first I was unsure whether moving away from iMac was the right choice.Now after hearing what you know.I am happy that i am moving away from it. Really looking forward now to get my pc built smile.gif

Thats a really nice setup you have going. Being looking at getting a 32inch monitor .

Thanks for all the tips. I have took them on board and going to try and implement them into my practice . Had a look at Ibanez JTC picks but they don't seem to have them in the Uk.Any other alternatives thats worth trying.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2021, 07:31 PM
PHILL66 got hold of the Ibanez picks and he is in the uk. Ill ask where he got them. I think you can just get them on AMAZON.com in the UK. I got mine on amazon here in the US. smile.gif

If you can't find them, VPICKS makes some great picks.

My signature Vpick (switchblade buffed) is a great choice. The buffed edge made string traverse a breeze.
https://v-picks.com/shop/ols/products/the-switchblade

here is the black hole
https://v-picks.com/shop/ols/products/the-blackhole

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 7 2021, 02:58 PM) *
At first I was unsure whether moving away from iMac was the right choice.Now after hearing what you know.I am happy that i am moving away from it. Really looking forward now to get my pc built smile.gif

Thats a really nice setup you have going. Being looking at getting a 32inch monitor .

Thanks for all the tips. I have took them on board and going to try and implement them into my practice . Had a look at Ibanez JTC picks but they don't seem to have them in the Uk.Any other alternatives thats worth trying.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 8 2021, 07:33 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 8 2021, 07:34 PM
There you go folks, not cheap but well worth a try.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibanez-PJTC1-Centr...0820&sr=8-1

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2021, 07:35 PM
Sadly out of stock it seems on amazon.com uk sad.gif At least it looks that way when I click on the link. Must be popular! The Vpicks I mentioned should be well stocked but they are not cheap about $5 US each.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 8 2021, 02:34 PM) *
There you go folks, not cheap but well worth a try.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibanez-PJTC1-Centr...0820&sr=8-1

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 8 2021, 07:46 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 8 2021, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 8 2021, 06:35 PM) *
Sadly out of stock it seems on amazon.com uk sad.gif At least it looks that way when I click on the link. Must be popular! The Vpicks I mentioned should be well stocked but they are not cheap about $5 US each.

That link I gave show that they are indeed in stock.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NDW2...=UTF8&psc=1

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 8 2021, 08:34 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:18 AM