Blues, any reccomendations?
spdalton
Jun 13 2007, 12:07 PM
GMC:er
I've taken a sudden liking to old blues music, such as the likes of BB King.

Can anyone reccomend any albums or artists or songs that are similar to "The Thrill is Gone"?
Sort of mellow blues.

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
Hemlok
Jun 13 2007, 03:06 PM
Blues reccomendation: Robert Johnson, Son House, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters. Those are a must.

And best harp player, Sonny Boy Williamson. awesome stuff

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 13 2007, 05:49 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN

Not old blues but still, but my "Old" blues recommendation would be

BUKKA WHITE

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jun 13 2007, 05:51 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 13 2007, 07:13 PM
MUDDY WATERS

You will not get dissapointed, this is true god damn old school shit smile.gif

Also, Johnny Winter(!!), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Omar and the howlers.

[edit: song attachement removed]

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 13 2007, 08:00 PM
Learning Roadie
^^ Everything they said

PLUS, Buddy Guy, Keb' Mo', Howlin' Wolf, and then there's a whole slew of more rock oriented but still very bluesy guys like The Black Keys, Some Jonny Lang, some John Mayer, Sonny Landreth, guys like that.

Also if you can get your hand on Alligator Records' 25th Anniversary cd thing, it's LOADED with blues guys. Lot of really good stuff, lot of great guitar work.

http://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Records-25...7862&sr=8-3

This post has been edited by JVM: Jun 13 2007, 08:06 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 13 2007, 08:23 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 13 2007, 07:00 PM) *
Buddy Guy', Howlin' Wolf

Indeed! Oh man I want to order more CD's now!! Just watched some awesome blues at youtube tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mindbinder
Jun 13 2007, 09:28 PM
It all depends on how far back you wanna go. I personally love the 1920-1930's delta blues. Remember though that the farther back you go, the more gritty and underproduced it is. Charlie Patton, Bessie SMith, Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Robert Johnson are some great choices.

If you want a little smoother 40-60's stuff then John Lee Hooker, and Muddy Waters are also cool.

Or you could just go to the classic stand by and listen to a lot of Clapton. He's covered a ton of great blues artists.

+Quote Post
spdalton
Jun 13 2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies!
I have a CD of Clapton, and some SRV but I'll definately check out the other artists!

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 13 2007, 10:53 PM
QUOTE (Mindbinder @ Jun 13 2007, 08:28 PM) *
the farther back you go, the more gritty and underproduced it is.

Thats the way its supposed to be smile.gif When the sound gets too clean and mixed and fixed, its not really music anymore. Music is all about the feeling imo, and thats why I hate most modern bands because its so clean and boring with NO feeling at all.

I'll check out some of the artists you mentioned there smile.gif

QUOTE (Mindbinder @ Jun 13 2007, 08:28 PM) *
Or you could just go to the classic stand by and listen to a lot of Clapton. He's covered a ton of great blues artists.

I personally hate claptons versions of these old blues songs. I got "I'm your hoochie coochie man" live by clapton, I want to vomit when I hear it smile.gif other than that I've only heard muddy waters version, I dont know if thats the original?
(Dont missunderstand, I like clapton smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Robin: Jun 13 2007, 11:00 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 13 2007, 11:05 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Cause if you didnt we would Crucify you smile.gif

Im just kiddin' biggrin.gif

or am i?

+Quote Post
Mindbinder
Jun 14 2007, 03:53 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 13 2007, 02:53 PM) *
Thats the way its supposed to be smile.gif When the sound gets too clean and mixed and fixed, its not really music anymore. Music is all about the feeling imo, and thats why I hate most modern bands because its so clean and boring with NO feeling at all.

I'll check out some of the artists you mentioned there smile.gif
I personally hate claptons versions of these old blues songs. I got "I'm your hoochie coochie man" live by clapton, I want to vomit when I hear it smile.gif other than that I've only heard muddy waters version, I dont know if thats the original?
(Dont missunderstand, I like clapton smile.gif)

I agree fully. A few of his covers rob the originals of there rough authenticity. They just have too much polish on them. You should should check out his cover of Me and The Devil Blues. If I remember right that is a pretty decent one.

This post has been edited by Mindbinder: Jun 14 2007, 06:28 AM

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 14 2007, 08:58 AM
QUOTE (Mindbinder @ Jun 13 2007, 10:28 PM) *
It all depends on how far back you wanna go. I personally love the 1920-1930's delta blues. Remember though that the farther back you go, the more gritty and underproduced it is. Charlie Patton, Bessie SMith, Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Robert Johnson are some great choices.

If you want a little smoother 40-60's stuff then John Lee Hooker, and Muddy Waters are also cool.

Many good ones mentioned above and I love the delta blues too. Blues have to be underproduced and dirty.
I'm adding Led Zeppelin too, lots of blues in them, and Blind Willie Johnson. Now that's an angry bluesman.

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Jun 14 2007, 09:01 AM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 14 2007, 08:49 PM
every blues artist that I listen to was listed so no more recomendations for me. I was never big on blues.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
acousticwanabee
Jul 10 2007, 07:00 AM
i like claptons cover of possesion over judgment day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNKzXOZEOnc

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 10 2007, 12:52 PM
QUOTE (acousticwanabee @ Jul 10 2007, 06:00 AM) *
i like claptons cover of possesion over judgment day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNKzXOZEOnc

Yeah thats an awesome concert.

I think I have to take back what I said about clapton. I just got a John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton CD. Its REALLY great. The reason I said that I didnt like claptons blues covers was becuase I heard hoochie coochie man live by clapton, wich I think was horrible.

+Quote Post
acousticwanabee
Jul 10 2007, 09:26 PM
yea some of his live stuff he takes to fast

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 13 2007, 08:34 PM
Just got some CD's in the mail that I ordered. Buddy Guy, Howlin' Wolf and Hubert Sumlin.

OH MY GOODNESS! This is too good! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 14 2007, 03:40 AM
Claptons cover Robert Johnson - Me and The Devil Blues is pretty good, i like the acoustic cover, not so much the electric. Actually i dont like the electric version.

And i will just mention again John Lee Hooker!

@Robin: Awesome Robin great choices!

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 14 2007, 03:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:06 AM