Do You Play Differently On Different Guitars?
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 10 2020, 03:39 PM
Instructor
I was watching some Kris's guitar jams and it made me think if I play differently on different guitars because that's what I can see on him. He keeps his own style but notice the differences influenced by the guitar. This can be related to guitar tone, shape, fretboard, and who knows if there are even more subjective elements like color or texture.

In my case, I can say that I don't only play differently on different guitars, I compose different type of songs and music based on the guitar that I'm using. That's why it's so inspiring to get more and more guitars!! laugh.gif

What do you think? Do you play differently on different guitars?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 10 2020, 07:14 PM
GMC:er
Big yes, I think the major thing I'm influenced is the sound and then comes the physical differences of what I'm used to.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 10 2020, 08:42 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Absolutely! Playing in a cover band as I have done, there is quite a bit of tone matching that goes on when emulating different songs. Having a strat style guitar with some single coils and something else with some humbuckers is a big help in this regard as it broadens the spectrum of what you can emulate. And when composing, the same is true depending on what kind of tone you are looking for. Different tools for different jobs or maybe comparable to an artist having many different brushes and colors to work with in the creative process.
I would also certainly say that the style of instrument that I use greatly influences how I play in most cases. For example, I tend to approach things differently when I play my Strat with single coils than I would when playing my Les Paul with humbuckers. Although my Ibanez is a bit more versatile which allows me to be able to cover elements of both worlds to some extent. Yes, more guitars is good! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2020, 04:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 10 2020, 03:14 PM) *
Big yes, I think the major thing I'm influenced is the sound and then comes the physical differences of what I'm used to.

Yeah, tone also really influences my playing as much as my guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 14 2020, 05:04 PM
Learning Roadie
I have 4 guitars, 1 classical and 3 electric all tuned differently (Standard, Eb and Drop C) and I think it's a great setup. The Drop C setting makes it a bit harder to play freely, because I haven't learnt the fretboard properly yet and I'm just lagging but besides that, it works GREAT for me!

Yes, I play differently on each of the guitars. I think their body types are crucial. I somehow always end up playing Hard Rock on the LP, heavier stuff on the SG and the Superstrat gets more scale runs than any other guitar and it happened often even before I changed tuning on two of them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 23 2020, 08:32 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 10 2020, 08:42 PM) *
Absolutely! Playing in a cover band as I have done, there is quite a bit of tone matching that goes on when emulating different songs. Having a strat style guitar with some single coils and something else with some humbuckers is a big help in this regard as it broadens the spectrum of what you can emulate. And when composing, the same is true depending on what kind of tone you are looking for. Different tools for different jobs or maybe comparable to an artist having many different brushes and colors to work with in the creative process.
I would also certainly say that the style of instrument that I use greatly influences how I play in most cases. For example, I tend to approach things differently when I play my Strat with single coils than I would when playing my Les Paul with humbuckers. Although my Ibanez is a bit more versatile which allows me to be able to cover elements of both worlds to some extent. Yes, more guitars is good! biggrin.gif

For long time I actually didn't even believe there was any noticeable sound difference between different guitars (except maybe what comes from the pickups). I guess that's a metalhead's way of looking at it.

The more I started playing other genres (and hence turned down the gain!) - I realised this could not be further from the truth.

Nowadays it's the opposite: I have realised that playing guitar is about controlling nuances and micro details. So even a slight difference in the way a guitar responds can have a huge impact on how I play.

The difference between an LP and Strat to me know is also like comparing two different stringed instruments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 23 2020, 09:31 PM
Well Said! I agree all the way. I've got a "Fretlight" guitar which is based on the standard fender strat. The neck feels just huge compared to my Ibanez 6 string and I find myself playing lots more thumb over the top of the neck stuff. Also, my leads tend to be more about bends and chordish bits instead of more precision / scale based bits that tend to happen when I play my Ibby.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 10 2020, 10:39 AM) *
I was watching some Kris's guitar jams and it made me think if I play differently on different guitars because that's what I can see on him. He keeps his own style but notice the differences influenced by the guitar. This can be related to guitar tone, shape, fretboard, and who knows if there are even more subjective elements like color or texture.

In my case, I can say that I don't only play differently on different guitars, I compose different type of songs and music based on the guitar that I'm using. That's why it's so inspiring to get more and more guitars!! laugh.gif

What do you think? Do you play differently on different guitars?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 23 2020, 09:54 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 10 2020, 03:39 PM) *

Thanks - yes actually I have reluctantly come to realise that the look of the guitar does matter. I say reluctantly because I am always a little provoked by people obsessed with the look of things 😅

But my mood totally dictates if I want to pick up woody, vintagy type of guitar or something slick and modern. And if I cannot please my mood, there ain't no playing happening - just saying 😎

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 25 2020, 01:10 AM
Amps react very differently as well. Not just tube v. solid state. The difference between a Twin Reverb, a Plexi and an AC30 is night and day.
Since I'm not a super chops player, I feel that difference even more than with a guitar.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 25 2020, 01:11 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 25 2020, 01:17 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 25 2020, 01:10 AM) *
Amps react very differently as well. Not just tube v. solid state. The difference between a Twin Reverb, a Plexi and an AC30 is night and day.
Since I'm not a super chops player, I feel that difference even more than with a guitar.

Yeah for sure! If I find an amp tone that is popular (ie a recommended Kemper profile) and it does not work for me personally - then I try to give it some extra time anyway.

If I am lucky, this light torture exercise can make me start to play in a totally new way. Perhaps I need to change my dynamics or be more careful about how the notes ringing out etc etc - the devil is in the details!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:33 AM