32 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Adam
Apr 4 2019, 03:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 4 2019, 04:36 AM) *
THUMBLESS TECHNIQUE!!!!! This one really throws some folks for a loop. Not you!!!! Playing without the thumb is a great way to re set the pressure on your fingers. A complicated pattern sometimes causes the hand to tense up. Much like that Master of puppets licks. The key is to stay loose so that you can keep playing without your hand burning out. Any lick that is causing tension, try it a pinch slower and without your thumb on the neck. Without the thumb, you can't "over pressure" your hand since there is no longer a thumb to create pressure with. smile.gif Once you can play the given lick without the thumb, gently lay the thumb back on the neck just as a guide, not as something to pull against. This one trick can open up WADS of ability that you didn't know you had!
As for gain, just a pinch is enough. Playing entirely clean sometimes doesn't create the same problems as playing with some distortion. Distortion can amplify any mistakes. So just a bit is often handy to allow any mistake to be plainly audible. Too much gain and one looses clarity.

Is it even possible to play these songs thumbless at 180bpm? I'll definitely give it a try! That's a great idea to learn things thumbless and then add the thumb for guidance! I didn't think of it.

If that's the case, I'll make sure to use the distortion more often. Thank you for explaining this!

I must admit when I first started the Bootcamp I was wondering why can't I turn in few missions and binge through it faster but lately I began to understand! It's not just the unfair advantage toward others who don't have as much spare time. Since I ranked up to my current Chevron Stripes the exercises require a lot more attention and binging through them is the last thing one should do! Some parts are easier but that allows me to push the speed and some parts demand lots of focus and attention. By rushing the missions just to clear them I would progress much less, if at all.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 4 2019, 11:24 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 5 2019, 04:21 AM
GMC:er
Glad to hear you are getting a lot out of it Soldier!! Thumbless Technique is something I don't even introduce until the upper level. It's so that, after you have worked out how to move your fingers, you can now work out how to move them without using the pressure often applied by the thumb. I used to teach this early on and it did not go well. Teaching students complicated patterns and having them play without their thumb, and keep a perfect mute, was just too much happening at once and resulted in a lot of confused students. So i take a more modular approach now. Also you noticed that the lessons tend to drift between allowing time for speed, and taking more time to learn. This is to hopefully balance out learning complex bits, with having time to loops certain bits and increase their speed. Finally, you nailed it on taking it a bit slower, especially with the advanced lessons. Up til about Lesson 50, it's possibl to do several at once and still get a lot out of it. After that point, they get a bit more intense and require a bit more time. Burning through them in big chunks robs the student of the practice needed to get better. I allow students to do lessons in big chunks if that is what their schedule calls for. However, I only typically grade one per day. So it still ends up at about one badge per day.

Onward!!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
GRACE UNDER PRESSURE: Resisting the instinctual urge to tighten up, pick from the elbow with a tense arm, bear down to hard when playing briskly, fret to hard when traversing, etc. are all things that can really destroy ones ability to make progress. You have managed to develop a very balanced strike/fret pressure that works very well no matter what you are playing.

TRAVERSING THE GAP: You traverse strings and frets in a smooth and deliberate fashion. Neither rushing nor lagging, always on the beat and in time. I can hear your metronome going and you match it quite well.
PINKY POWER TO THE MAX: Fretting, hammering, shifting, and making use of the weakest finger. That's usually when the pinky fails, during licks that stress it. Not here. You have PINKY POWER!!!!

In short, I'm thrilled to see you step up and KRUSH it yet again!.. You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Within Striking Distance of TRIPLE DIGITS!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 4 2019, 10:43 AM) *
Is it even possible to play these songs thumbless at 180bpm? I'll definitely give it a try! That's a great idea to learn things thumbless and then add the thumb for guidance! I didn't think of it.

If that's the case, I'll make sure to use the distortion more often. Thank you for explaining this!

I must admit when I first started the Bootcamp I was wondering why can't I turn in few missions and binge through it faster but lately I began to understand! It's not just the unfair advantage toward others who don't have as much spare time. Since I ranked up to my current Chevron Stripes the exercises require a lot more attention and binging through them is the last thing one should do! Some parts are easier but that allows me to push the speed and some parts demand lots of focus and attention. By rushing the missions just to clear them I would progress much less, if at all.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 5 2019, 07:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Today's first exercise reminds me of pieces from one of my favourite series, Final Fantasy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Di5f_QQZvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtEihOnL1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwsHPYRUZ94

One is a slightly tweaked version of the other. They certainly are spooky and fit their respective scenes really well. Now that I got these stuck in my head, I'll probably end up learning to play them soon smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 5 2019, 07:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 6 2019, 05:45 AM
Well Fought Again Soldier!! Good ear as wel!! These bits do have a FINAL FANTASY vibe in parts. This shape is a great way to work your stretch and you can build some great riffs from it! I see you using your THUMBLESS technique as well!!! It's a great way to get your fingers focused on the tips where the pressure should be!!!! Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

TOIGHT! Your playing is really nice and tight. Hand synch is key as these licks have any gaps in them so any slip up would stick out like a sore thumb. No problem here!!

LIKE A GOD: With all this constant string traverse, yet again, we have lots of chances for unwanted string noise. You have developed a very strong muting technique and as a result, you keep string noise at bay.

REARRANGE YOUR NEURONS: being able to switch gears and play something entirely different from one bit to the next without getting the bits twisted up and confused is a serious achievement. You've gotten really at this. It's great to see!!In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

You are getting ever closer to the never before breached TRIPLE DIGIT MARK!!!!!! Keep it up!!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 5 2019, 02:26 PM) *
Today's first exercise reminds me of pieces from one of my favourite series, Final Fantasy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Di5f_QQZvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtEihOnL1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwsHPYRUZ94

One is a slightly tweaked version of the other. They certainly are spooky and fit their respective scenes really well. Now that I got these stuck in my head, I'll probably end up learning to play them soon smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 6 2019, 07:38 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 6 2019, 09:40 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm still getting used to this new axe. She needs a strap because I found some old spare one but it's not that comfortable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 7 2019, 08:01 AM
NICE AXE!!!!! That's your new one? Looks very spiff! I like the flamed maple red and the pickup covers look cool as well. She's a keeper!!!!! Well Fought Soldier! Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

SPICE IT UP: If variety is the spice of life, then this Mission is packed full of LIFE!!! Lot's of moving parts going on. You handled them all.
TECHNIQUE ON POINT: You show uncommon valor in ripping through it and making it look easy. Nice use of proper fingering as well!

AGGRESSIVE STYLE: I like how I can feel you pushing the edge of your ability. You never push to far, never slip up, but you are always pushing the edge a bit.
Nice!!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 6 2019, 04:40 PM) *
I'm still getting used to this new axe. She needs a strap because I found some old spare one but it's not that comfortable.

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 8 2019, 12:04 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 7 2019, 08:01 AM) *
NICE AXE!!!!! That's your new one? Looks very spiff! I like the flamed maple red and the pickup covers look cool as well. She's a keeper!!!!!

Thank you! I'm loving it, she definitely is a KEEPER! I'll post some photos and maybe demos soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2019, 04:42 AM
Look at him go!! It's hard to believe you are already pushing up against the TRIPLE DIGIT THRESHOLD!!!!! You have earned the crap out of it Soldier!!!! You are in rare air up here. Very few people have ever attained Badge Rank of 80+. I can count all of them on one hand and not even need my thumb!

Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
TECHNICAL PROWESS: You've fought your way up to this point Soldier!! You've earned it. Your technical ability is clear. You never miss.

LIKE A CLOCK : Timing is everything. You have developed a very good sense of TIME. This is crucial for any player who wants to be a great player.

MEMORY MAN: Soooooo many moving parts on this one. Not to mention the HUGE stretch. It would be easy to mix these together and forget a note here or there. Not for you!!!! You never miss a single one. You memorized every lick and played it back perfectly.
You have taken your first steps toward being a truly great player Soldier. This is just the Start of the Journey!!! You are ready for what awaits. Nobody has every cracked Triple Digits, until now, I didn't think anybody ever would. I"m glad to to be proven wrong!!!!!
You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 7 2019, 07:04 PM) *
Thank you! I'm loving it, she definitely is a KEEPER! I'll post some photos and maybe demos soon.

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 8 2019, 11:59 PM
Learning Roadie
You may notice a significant change in the sound/tone. THat's because I swapped the pickups here for passive EMG's. The fun part is: they are passive counterpart of EMG 81 and they really perform well. I don't need ANY other piece of equipment to get that Kirk Hammett's tone on the neck without even aiming for it (he uses 2x 81, I think). Just as I did that, an auction came up with what I want to put in neck position and I already contacted the seller! I want that guitar tuned solely for Hetfield's kind of playing and I'll tune it down by a half step when the replacement arrives. Will that be okay for the Bootcamp purpose? I'll use different a guitar whenever the lesson's requirements hint at it.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 9 2019, 10:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2019, 04:02 AM
The tone choice is really down to the player. Which is to say it sounds good and works well! I usually suggest folks not use crazy amounts of gain, but you've never used crazy gain so I"ve never had to mention it. What is you setup ? Guitar/pedals/amp?

You can also use any guitar you like for any Mission. Just like the tone, it's up to the player!
Let me say how Impressed I am with your progress Soldier! You are just a few Missions away from being the HIGHEST RANKING GMCER EEEVVVVVEEERRRR IN BOOTCAMP!!! The TOP DAWG Rank is currently 88. Nobody, not in 10 years, has made it higher. Til now smile.gif

Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
PINKY TO THE RESCUE: Good use of the Runt Finger!! It never can get enough work no matter what so the more work the pinky gets, on any hand, the better! Your pinky is coming along great!

PENTATONIC PROGRESS: The Pentatonic Shapes are critical. They are the foundation on which all Rock playing is built. You are getting very smooth on these!

TRAVERSE TIL YOU DROP: You are doing really well on your string traverse. Keep it up!!
You continue to put all the pieces together Soldier!! You are only a few Missions away from being the TOP DAWG!!!!!!!!
You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 8 2019, 06:59 PM) *
You may notice a significant change in the sound/tone. THat's because I swapped the pickups here for passive EMG's. The fun part is: they are passive counterpart of EMG 81 and they really perform well. I don't need ANY other piece of equipment to get that Kirk Hammett's tone on the neck without even aiming for it (he uses 2x 81, I think). Just as I did that, an auction came up with what I want to put in neck position and I already contacted the seller! I want that guitar tuned solely for Hetfield's kind of playing and I'll tune it down by a half step when the replacement arrives. Will that be okay for the Bootcamp purpose? I'll use different a guitar whenever the lesson's requirements hint at it.

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 10 2019, 10:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 10 2019, 04:02 AM) *
The tone choice is really down to the player. Which is to say it sounds good and works well! I usually suggest folks not use crazy amounts of gain, but you've never used crazy gain so I"ve never had to mention it. What is you setup ? Guitar/pedals/amp?

You can also use any guitar you like for any Mission. Just like the tone, it's up to the player!
Let me say how Impressed I am with your progress Soldier! You are just a few Missions away from being the HIGHEST RANKING GMCER EEEVVVVVEEERRRR IN BOOTCAMP!!! The TOP DAWG Rank is currently 88. Nobody, not in 10 years, has made it higher. Til now smile.gif

That's a great news to hear! But if there's a mission that requires improvising over a particular scale it would be more comfortable to use a standard tuning, I think. Anything more than Pentatonics could be confusing even if it's just 1 fret difference. I'll do a small demo of my gear tomorrow morning, I'm really sleepy right now.

A month ago or two months ago reaching this rank seemed so distant but it's happening! I'm looking forward to it and I hope blazing the trail of untouched missions won't slow me down much. There's probably a reason the current Top Dawg stopped but nothing is impossible if you try hard enough. I'll do longer practice session if needed!

I was wondering if you know Jason Becker's Serrana. At first I was devastated by the arpeggio section but the whole piece is great and the shreddy patterns in the first and second movements are very similar to what we're doing in the Bootcamp (except they are more complex). This piece has a LOT of Paganini's influence to it but it's little easier than his compositions (at least the two sections up to the arpeggios), so I thought it's okay for learning purpose. Below I've included two parts of live performance (Jason's ALS probably developed before he had a chance to record it, so the official song is more orchestral) and the best tabs I've found for it. Could we break down this piece in our thread to help me learn it bit by bit and absorb JB's style?

I think the best way to end up playing his music is by progressing in the Bootcamp that's exactly a place designed for learning to shred and polishing the technique but if you don't mind some extracurricular activity, I'll be happy to do even more practice! smile.gif

And last but not least, the actual lesson video:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Jason_Becker___Serrana.gp4 ( 48.43K ) Number of downloads: 206

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 11 2019, 06:22 AM
Becker is a God among men to be sure. The Bootcamp path is really about the currated lessons and my familiarity with them more than other bits, but Gabes Mentor program is perfect for this kind of thing and Gabe may already have created lessons about this very piece. In Bootcamp, You've still got another 300 Lessons to go after you break triple Digits, which is quite a bit of playing. However, when you do make it to the end of the line, and I create the never before seen 400 Badge, at that point we will be breaking new ground so the skys the limit!

It's great to see you making such killer Progress Soldier!!! Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

PINKY POWER MONGER: Yet again, the runt of the finger litter is in the spotlight! Forcing it to stick the landing and do its part out there by itself or next to it's nearest kin. These are things the pinky does not typically enjoy. Especially if the pinky has been neglected. Throwing it four frets out and asking it to stick a landing on every string can over tax it. No so here. You have clearly spent time in the woodshed bringing the weakest finger to heel. Nice!!!
STAGE LEFT: Some of these drills require you to use only your right hand to mute. Being able to pull your left hand away, for open string licks for example, and keep a good mute is crucial. The good news is that you have clearly worked on your mute so there are no gaps here!! Toight!!!
SYNCH AND SWIM LIKE A CHAMP:
Per usual, no space between notes means any mistakes are glaringly bad. That's the purpose of making really long traverse drills. To see if your synch will just wear out and start to fall apart. Good news is you KRUSHED IT!
You have this one sorted Soldier. You just...
LEVELED UP!!! You are just a few levels away from being our TOP DAWG!!!!!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 10 2019, 05:51 PM) *
That's a great news to hear! But if there's a mission that requires improvising over a particular scale it would be more comfortable to use a standard tuning, I think. Anything more than Pentatonics could be confusing even if it's just 1 fret difference. I'll do a small demo of my gear tomorrow morning, I'm really sleepy right now.

A month ago or two months ago reaching this rank seemed so distant but it's happening! I'm looking forward to it and I hope blazing the trail of untouched missions won't slow me down much. There's probably a reason the current Top Dawg stopped but nothing is impossible if you try hard enough. I'll do longer practice session if needed!

I was wondering if you know Jason Becker's Serrana. At first I was devastated by the arpeggio section but the whole piece is great and the shreddy patterns in the first and second movements are very similar to what we're doing in the Bootcamp (except they are more complex). This piece has a LOT of Paganini's influence to it but it's little easier than his compositions (at least the two sections up to the arpeggios), so I thought it's okay for learning purpose. Below I've included two parts of live performance (Jason's ALS probably developed before he had a chance to record it, so the official song is more orchestral) and the best tabs I've found for it. Could we break down this piece in our thread to help me learn it bit by bit and absorb JB's style?

I think the best way to end up playing his music is by progressing in the Bootcamp that's exactly a place designed for learning to shred and polishing the technique but if you don't mind some extracurricular activity, I'll be happy to do even more practice! smile.gif

And last but not least, the actual lesson video:

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 11 2019, 08:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 11 2019, 06:22 AM) *
Becker is a God among men to be sure. The Bootcamp path is really about the currated lessons and my familiarity with them more than other bits, but Gabes Mentor program is perfect for this kind of thing and Gabe may already have created lessons about this very piece. In Bootcamp, You've still got another 300 Lessons to go after you break triple Digits, which is quite a bit of playing. However, when you do make it to the end of the line, and I create the never before seen 400 Badge, at that point we will be breaking new ground so the skys the limit!

It's great to see you making such killer Progress Soldier!!! Let's Debrief!!!

I'll try asking Gabe then and focus on the Bootcamp.

I'll probably take a break from making videos and I'm not sure for how long. I'm just tired lately. I have a depression that's dormant most of the time but I can't be cured of it completely, if it makes sense. Some things just stay there in the shadows for over two decades and make their big return when the time comes. And it's come now again. I'll return to recording when I feel more alive.

I've recorded clips for mission 86 all but the last task and I'll probably process it in the morning when I feel like it. It doesn't matter as long as there's not every exercise included but I thought I'd just explain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2019, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear your not feeling well sad.gif Take heart Soldier!!! You are very close to being at the top of the heap. These Missions at this level can be very demanding. You are right at the "stick point". One thing I'd say to spend time on if you don't make vids each day, is to find some drills that you feel comfortable with and work on your speed. You've got enough technique now to where it's just a matter of repetition to get your speed up.

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 11 2019, 03:54 PM) *

I'll probably take a break from making videos and I'm not sure for how long. I'm just tired lately. I have a depression that's dormant most of the time but I can't be cured of it completely, if it makes sense. Some things just stay there in the shadows for over two decades and make their big return when the time comes. And it's come now again. I'll return to recording when I feel more alive.

I've recorded clips for mission 86 all but the last task and I'll probably process it in the morning when I feel like it. It doesn't matter as long as there's not every exercise included but I thought I'd just explain.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 13 2019, 03:53 AM
It sounds like you are needing a break from Bootcamp for a bit. Once you are stopping recording vids, it's probably time to do something else for a while, to wit! I found a vid and tab for that Becker tune you mentioned. Take a look and see if it's something you think you can play? I'd be happy to help you work through it. We can get back to bootcamping later on. Til then, we may as well use this thread as it's already here smile.gif

Here is the Guitar Pro File for the song btw. (Gp3 version should open in any version of GP)

Attached File  becker_jason_serrana.gp3 ( 8.02K ) Number of downloads: 254

And here is the is the vid.

QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 11 2019, 03:54 PM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 21 2019, 10:00 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 13 2019, 03:53 AM) *
It sounds like you are needing a break from Bootcamp for a bit. Once you are stopping recording vids, it's probably time to do something else for a while, to wit! I found a vid and tab for that Becker tune you mentioned. Take a look and see if it's something you think you can play? I'd be happy to help you work through it. We can get back to bootcamping later on. Til then, we may as well use this thread as it's already here smile.gif

Here is the Guitar Pro File for the song btw. (Gp3 version should open in any version of GP)

Attached File  becker_jason_serrana.gp3 ( 8.02K ) Number of downloads: 254

And here is the is the vid.

I'm slowly making progress on Serrana. Very slowly but it's the way to go, as you said. Some parts are stretch-heavy, so it will be a nice practice too! And maybe I'll learn sweeping through this exercise.

Meanwhile I'm posting the exercises for Mission 86. The tapping part was a pain but I eventually got it. It's been a rude awakening to face this lesson after taking a break and it was noticeable for me. I'll try not to do it again or at least to practice even if I'm not recording.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 21 2019, 11:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 22 2019, 02:57 AM
NICE!! This is a very tricky Mission. It's got pieces that feel like they work fast, then bits that won't let you play them brisk at all. Like hitting a wall. The good news is you played to the piece which is the point of this one. Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*PERFECT PACE: Pacing traps are everywhere in this one and you didn't fall for any of them!!
*SINGLE STRING MADNESS: Your fret traverse on the single string is impressive. Never missed a note. Even used your pinky and went thumbless!
*PINKY POWER: Congrats on your PINKY POWER!! Very well done. Never overpressuring the notes as well, thumbless technique is your friend smile.gif

It's great to see you back in the saddle Soldier!!! You jumped in on a very hard Mission and pushed through!!!! That tapping bit in particular is very very tricky. Using multi note taps with open strings is just hard!

Good news is you just....
LEVELED UP!!!!

Great to see you back in the fight Soldier!! You really attacked this one head on! It's great to see smile.gif
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 21 2019, 05:00 PM) *
I'm slowly making progress on Serrana. Very slowly but it's the way to go, as you said. Some parts are stretch-heavy, so it will be a nice practice too! And maybe I'll learn sweeping through this exercise.

Meanwhile I'm posting the exercises for Mission 86. The tapping part was a pain but I eventually got it. It's been a rude awakening to face this lesson after taking a break and it was noticeable for me. I'll try not to do it again or at least to practice even if I'm not recording.

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 22 2019, 10:00 PM
Learning Roadie
I loved this lesson even if it was a little tricky. It has "Neoclassical" in the title and it's enough to win me but I like the idea of switching strings and the pedal point type of licks. I tried transcribing excerpts from classical pieces and Final Fantasy and the kind-of pedal point where few notes stay the same and one note is changed appeared there often (e.g. one movement in Dancing Mad uses this very concept). I mean the last exercise. Does it have a name? I think pedal point happens when one note is sustained while the other change, so I'd call it some reversed pedal point?

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 22 2019, 10:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 23 2019, 02:09 AM
Glad you liked it! It's got a very neoclassical vibe to it. Once you get the licks down, you can create your own licks based on the licks you've learned and it looks like you have them down! You've got a good handle on pedal and modified pedal!! These make great speed training licks.

MEDALS OF HONOR

STICKING THE LANDING: Per usual there is no gap between notes to allow your hand to recover, this is to get your hand used to being just ahead of the beat for placement. Otherwise things can sound laggy. Good job!

CLEAN AS A WHISTLE: Your playing here is very clean which is what I like to see. Once you have a lick down, it's just a matter of repetition.
PICKING LIKE A MAD MAn: Your use of muted alternate picking is quite good. There is a lot of picking in this one and you killed it!Super congrats Soldier. This is one of the tough ones and you blitzed through it!!! Also, you are just barely behind the TOP DOG!!!!!!Congrats you just..
You just..
LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 22 2019, 05:00 PM) *
I loved this lesson even if it was a little tricky. It has "Neoclassical" in the title and it's enough to win me but I like the idea of switching strings and the pedal point type of licks. I tried transcribing excerpts from classical pieces and Final Fantasy and the kind-of pedal point where few notes stay the same and one note is changed appeared there often (e.g. one movement in Dancing Mad uses this very concept). I mean the last exercise. Does it have a name? I think pedal point happens when one note is sustained while the other change, so I'd call it some reversed pedal point?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 23 2019, 02:09 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 23 2019, 07:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 23 2019, 02:09 AM) *
Glad you liked it! It's got a very neoclassical vibe to it. Once you get the licks down, you can create your own licks based on the licks you've learned and it looks like you have them down! You've got a good handle on pedal and modified pedal!! These make great speed training licks.

They are fun to play and a good practice but also I can practice my scales with it if I keep 2-3 notes and alter the highest or the lowest between the notes of a scale in different positions. THat helps a lot to learn the fretboard better!

I did some research on pedal point yesterday and I learned that usually the highest or the lowest notes are pedal points but if I modify it, like in yesterday's exercise, it still sounds nice and is fun to play! Now I know how it works a little better.

I couldn't just sit around today, so I'm done with video much earlier than usually. I'm really hyped about what's to come soon!

Today's licks remind me of Anesthesia that I sometimes practice but the confusing part about it was pulling back from the highest note to the previous one. That was new for me! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 23 2019, 07:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:18 PM