Alternate Picking Quest
kraze1D
Apr 12 2008, 04:12 AM
GMC:er
Hello there,

I'm new to GMC and this place seems pretty cool so far.
I have watched quiet a few of the beginner videos and am working on just doing scales and a lot of the basic stuff to help improve my accuracy and speed before I get into songs I would like to do.

My question is kind of easy and hard to explain at the same time.

Lets say on a scale there are three notes I have to hit, for example Open E (down), 1st fret (up), 3rd fret (down), and then I have to the A string. Would I go down again, or would I go up.

What my real question is, do you ALWAYS have to go up then down when you are practicing scales, or are you looking to go whats the fastest way to get to the next string and strum? Sorry for such a long explanation, it was kind of hard to explain.

All help is much appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 12 2008, 04:54 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Welcome kraze1d.

You are talking about a technique that really improves speed and it takes alot of practice to master. ( Alternate Picking ) I see that you are a biginner and I would highly recomend that you focus on using this technique so you dont fall into the trap of only downstrokes. This is probably the #1 beginner mistake, and let me tell you from experience, it is hard to break. There will be riffs and solos you learn that are all downstrokes and then there are times when you will use up,down,down,down,up ect..... This is called economy picking,which means you just find what comes easiest to you.

Do focus on AP but don't let it become such a burden that you get frustrated. Work with it and keep asking questions. Have fun man and dont treat it like a job! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 12 2008, 10:33 AM
Instructor
You don't have to practice always alternate picking technique. Another important picking technique you should practice besides AP is economy picking. It happens when you transfer on to adjacent string and keep the downward or upward motion from the previous string. (you can find a more detailed explanation here on guitar wiki on the site).

The whole point is to practice everything equally well, but be systematical to some extent in developing these techniques.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:41 AM