2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Does Pick Thickness Have To Do With Anything?
shellshock1911
Dec 15 2007, 04:44 PM
GMC:er
I have been working on speed and sweeping insanne amounts over the past month and it is really really really frustrating me, but today realized that it was a little bit difficult to alternate pick really fast with the .60 pick I have so I was wondering if switching to something a little bit smaller would help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 15 2007, 04:48 PM
Instructor
When i was starting to play i used very thin picks. Today i use picks around 1.4, and also Jazz III. If you want to pick fast it's than better to use thicker picks as they don't bend while picking.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Dec 15 2007, 04:50 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 15 2007, 04:48 PM) *
When i was starting to play i used very thin picks. Today i use picks around 1.4, and also Jazz III. If you want to pick fast it's than better to use thicker picks as they don't bend while picking.

1.4 dang thats like massive isn't it? I guess I'll go buy like 10 kinds and just experiment

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 15 2007, 04:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Generally I find myself using 1.0mm at least, but that thicker is better for picking and thinner is better for strumming. So if you wanna AP faster, I'd go for something thicker.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Nobody
Dec 15 2007, 05:00 PM
Thicker picks is by my opinion a must. It's unconfortable when you start playing with it but eventually it helps very much in playing with relaxed hands. Because the thinner pick kills some of the tension but with a thick one it's not so.
I'm not much into shredding(for now! biggrin.gif) but I know from friends who are like gods that a thick pick makes your tones sound clearer and more distinct.

My favourite pick is Fender Heavy which is little thicker than 1.0, but I lost my last one I'll have to wait for a couple of months for the Guitar Shop here to get more, because they don't have in stock now :/ That's why i play a Dunlop 1.0 from the Lucky 13 series. A great pick.. If it could only be a bit thicker.. :]
With the last paragraph I kinda flooded you guys with stuff that nobody cares about but.. biggrin.gif

Hristian

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 15 2007, 05:33 PM
Learning Roadie
I remember muris kind of making a point where he said he prefers thinner picks when the strings have higher tension (mainly on acoustics I think) and thicker picks when the strings have less tension. Just a thought smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
erik
Dec 15 2007, 08:54 PM
The thicker picks are definitly better for fast playing. The size of the pick is maybe a more personal thing. Many guitar shredders use HUGE picks, but I prefer them really small. The Jazz III works great for speedpicking. I noticed the difference immidiatly when I started using them.

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Dec 15 2007, 09:03 PM
I use Fender mediums, I hate thin picks, such as the nylon ones because they bend and kind of "flick" whenever you play. The heavy ones, however, just feel kind of awkward to me, they seem too big, like a novelty pick or something! To me, the mediums are the way to go. biggrin.gif But, in the end, it's a matter of opinion. Really, you can play anything with any pick, but each one is probably a little bit easier to play different things with. Just experiment and find what suits you!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Dec 15 2007, 09:22 PM
Its really all about preference. I say test a bunch of different picks out and see what suits you best smile.gif Whats good to others might not always be good to you ! Try things out and tell us how it goes biggrin.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 15 2007, 09:34 PM
GMC Founder
I use jazz 3:s for tone and precision! (or at least that's what I try to achieve! biggrin.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 15 2007, 09:35 PM
I like medium and heavy picks. If there too thin it feels uncomfertable and harder to pick.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
ibanez rocker
Dec 16 2007, 01:56 AM
i use 1.26mm picks, clayton brand, they don't bend very much at all. very good for speed picking, i think.

+Quote Post
shammy
Dec 16 2007, 02:02 AM
Nice one!!! I thought I had a damn bug inside my viewsonic.

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Dec 16 2007, 04:10 PM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Dec 15 2007, 09:03 PM) *
I use Fender mediums, I hate thin picks, such as the nylon ones because they bend and kind of "flick" whenever you play. The heavy ones, however, just feel kind of awkward to me, they seem too big, like a novelty pick or something! To me, the mediums are the way to go. biggrin.gif But, in the end, it's a matter of opinion. Really, you can play anything with any pick, but each one is probably a little bit easier to play different things with. Just experiment and find what suits you!

Agreed ...Look at what muris uses in his vids. However he could probably pick accurately with a beer bottle cap..(did my jealousy just rear its ugly head..oops). Anyway use what feels right. I started using light picks at first...switched to mediums for quite some time and now for the last three years I have been using very heavy picks. I still change it around once in a while and use mediums. Its all about what feels right to you.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2007, 04:42 PM
Instructor
DEfinately try thicker picks man. I use Jazz III XL, and it works fien with soloing, athough it is not good for strumming. If I wanna play some chords fast, I need a medium pick, nylon 0.90 or even 0.70.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Dec 16 2007, 07:49 PM
Alright got me a .33, .60, 1.14, and the Jazz III that everyone is talking about, already feeling the difference

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 16 2007, 07:50 PM
Instructor
Jazz III is the whole new world - took quite some time to get used to it but now it's the only pick i use smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Freebird
Dec 16 2007, 07:57 PM
I use a Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0!! And I love it... (I'd change it if I got a Muris pick thoughh biggrin.gif) It's impossible for me to play alternate fast on anything less than 1.0... When strumming though 0.70 is better, if not you'll get a "snappy" tone!
I haven't tried the Jazz III but I tried paul Gilbert's signature and I quite liked them too. Once I also tried doing some with a bass pick (you know, the triangular tortilla-like ones) and the result wasn't too bad...

You get my suggestion: go thicker!!! biggrin.gif Or at least try and see the difference.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 17 2007, 01:34 PM
The Dark Canuck
I think pick thickness is something you have to play around with until you find what's right for you. I was always playing with picks between .60mm and .88mm, unless it was acoustic where I prefer a .46mm pick. However I now only use the Jazz III.(Still use .46 on acoustic though) I'm not sure what the actual thickness is of a Jazz III, but I like the overall size and feel of the pick better aswell as I noticed my accurracy especially when skipping strings has greatly inproved since the switch.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 17 2007, 01:41 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I`ve used Jazz III plectrums pretty much forever, I hate the feel of any other picks now, I went through a stage where I couldnt get any at my local guitar shops and switched to a Gibson pick for a short period (they where ok but just not the same) till I found a shop that did the Jazz III`s, I bought a stupid amount in one hit and always buy them when I see them in the shops so I never run out!, I`m paranoid that I`ll not be able to get them again, thats how much of a difference a different pick made to me. laugh.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:46 PM