Getting Rid Of The Mixing Board
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2017, 04:32 PM
GMC:er
Here is prolific producer Ronan Chris Murphy, talking about why he finally got rid of his analogue console. Some folks still swear by them, but the simple lack of "Recall" (E.G. pulling up an entire mix with all settings) is just a monster pain in the neck. You gotta take lots of notes and reset lots of bits by hand even if your console has some sort of fader / dial recall.

He ditched the console entirely, as many folks have, and now works "In the box" (just in the computer) like most of us at home do smile.gif He explains why it made sense for him as a guy who runs a pro studio.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Oct 16 2017, 12:37 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I don't understand his reasoning. The most important feature of a mixing console for most people is the faders and knobs. That's the difficult tradeoff: faders vs. recall. But when it came to that he basically said: "I can't afford that right now so I'm still trying to figure out what to do". I don't think that's useful advice for other people facing the same dilemma smile.gif.

Most people for whom recall is very important trade their console for a control surface. If you can't afford a big one, get a small one and use paging. Or get a Raven. He now has neither a console nor a control surface. I think most studios would find that unworkable.

I do notice he has good taste in analog gear. He has the highly coveted Digilog Dynamicator. I have one myself, but they are hard to find.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 16 2017, 09:43 AM
My guess is the clients/music he's working on doesn't involve much itb involvement.

Getting the sound on recording phase (analog gear) then all is left for the computer is level, pan, minor corrective eq'ing (but he might be prefering analog eq for that too) and the automation if needed. From the looks of it he gets a lot of mastering jobs too and that requires a cleanest place as possible.

A good solution for him but must say its also a bit specific for his needs as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2017, 03:35 PM
Just pointing out he is working as many of us work in our home studios smile.gif Just keyboard and mouse. He's just doing it on a much grander scale for bigger projects. I was a bit shocked that he has zero control surface. But it does seem to work for him. Just as it works for most of us. Though most of us are not tracking full bands with no control surface:)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:52 AM