2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Collaboration
Jim S.
Sep 6 2013, 05:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
So I have ez drummer in Logic Pro it has a few kits I forget the names I only messed with it a few times. I always just play guitar related things when I practice. It would be helpful to write a few drum tracks though

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 7 2013, 10:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 6 2013, 04:34 PM) *
So I have ez drummer in Logic Pro it has a few kits I forget the names I only messed with it a few times. I always just play guitar related things when I practice. It would be helpful to write a few drum tracks though

One thing that you can try would be to emulate your favorite songs - I tried this with another student and he managed to record a 100% accurate version of Foo Fighter's 'Wheels' - I assisted his progress by giving him the necessary feedback regarding drum writing, bass writing and guitar recording - he ended up with a great rendition, which you can check out here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=643701

Why not choose a simple song - a very simple one, you like a lot, so that you might be able to reproduce the drum track by listening to it smile.gif It's how it all begins.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 7 2013, 10:33 AM
Instructor
Good point by Cosmin! Save some time You would spent on composing. Try to focus on drum writting by covering some simple song. When You'll get some expirience it would be fast and easy to make Your own stuff smile.gif You'll see smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 7 2013, 03:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
He hid a nice job with that cover, whole mix sound nice.

Are you able to write drum parts out beat by beat in ez drummer or just copy and paste loops. I remember a while ago writing drums in logic with little square grid things. Then I tried Finale but it wasn't real enough, all midi.

I like the sound of ez drummers kits but some of my songs did not exactly fit their templates, is like to try again if I could write the drum beat I'm hearing in my songs.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 7 2013, 05:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 7 2013, 02:07 PM) *

Are you able to write drum parts out beat by beat in ez drummer or just copy and paste loops. I remember a while ago writing drums in logic with little square grid things. Then I tried Finale but it wasn't real enough, all midi.

I like the sound of ez drummers kits but some of my songs did not exactly fit their templates, is like to try again if I could write the drum beat I'm hearing in my songs.

Yes You are! And the whole fun of this is exactly when You do it manually smile.gif

Here's a little help

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Sep 7 2013, 05:19 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 8 2013, 04:46 AM
Learning Rock Star

Darius thanks for leading me into programming some drummage. I know how to do it basically. Ill have to practice up a bit...

This post has been edited by Jim Seekford: Sep 8 2013, 07:47 AM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 8 2013, 07:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/grange

Here is a little guitar and Ez Drummer Duo

This post has been edited by Jim Seekford: Sep 8 2013, 08:11 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2013, 10:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 7 2013, 02:07 PM) *

Hey mate, looks like Darius already had a vid about that smile.gif If you have questions, let me know - things are not that complicated! You need to get acquainted with the grid and understand rhythmic subdivisions so that you may write simple grooves. I never ever used any pre made loops - I wrote everything from scratch smile.gif and the good news is... you can do it too!! Have you tried it so far?

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 8 2013, 11:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 8 2013, 05:49 PM) *
Hey mate, looks like Darius already had a vid about that smile.gif If you have questions, let me know - things are not that complicated! You need to get acquainted with the grid and understand rhythmic subdivisions so that you may write simple grooves. I never ever used any pre made loops - I wrote everything from scratch smile.gif and the good news is... you can do it too!! Have you tried it so far?

Not totally yet but I am getting the hang of the program. I'm not sure how to start from scratch though, pick a template and clear it?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 9 2013, 10:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 8 2013, 10:22 PM) *
Not totally yet but I am getting the hang of the program. I'm not sure how to start from scratch though, pick a template and clear it?

No no smile.gif Usually, for me things go like this:

I open a midi track in my DAW and assign the EZ Drummer as a pluggin on that track and select a drum set. I open the grid with the piano keys and simply start writing from scratch. If you used Logic, it's exactly the same procedure when writing.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 9 2013, 12:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 9 2013, 05:35 AM) *
No no smile.gif Usually, for me things go like this:

I open a midi track in my DAW and assign the EZ Drummer as a pluggin on that track and select a drum set. I open the grid with the piano keys and simply start writing from scratch. If you used Logic, it's exactly the same procedure when writing.

Ok I'll have to give that a whack and I promise that from here on out I will never post a song with a pre made drum loop. mad.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 9 2013, 12:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 9 2013, 11:08 AM) *
Ok I'll have to give that a whack and I promise that from here on out I will never post a song with a pre made drum loop. mad.gif

That's the spirit mate! Coming up with that vid in a short while for the angles!

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Sep 20 2013, 11:58 AM
GMC:er
Hey Jim, sorry I haven't done anything with this track yet, i've just started a 2 week holiday so it's time for me to get creative so I will still have another couple of listens to your track and see I can come up with anything to add to it.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 20 2013, 12:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Sep 20 2013, 06:58 AM) *
Hey Jim, sorry I haven't done anything with this track yet, i've just started a 2 week holiday so it's time for me to get creative so I will still have another couple of listens to your track and see I can come up with anything to add to it.

No problem, I'm writing drums for it now so when it's finished ill post the updated track

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 21 2013, 06:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 20 2013, 11:15 AM) *
No problem, I'm writing drums for it now so when it's finished ill post the updated track

How's it going with the drum writing, my friend?

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 22 2013, 05:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2013, 03:04 AM) *
Mornin' Jimmy - tell me, man, what sort of software are you using to write virtual instruments such as drums and bass?

I'm working with ez drummer in logic. No bass, i have one though

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 22 2013, 07:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 22 2013, 04:25 AM) *
I'm working with ez drummer in logic. No bass, i have one though

So, you can play bass too? Well, honestly speaking, it is always awesome to be able to record live bass, rather than writing it smile.gif So, if possible do it that way!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 22 2013, 01:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2013, 06:54 AM) *
So, you can play bass too? Well, honestly speaking, it is always awesome to be able to record live bass, rather than writing it smile.gif So, if possible do it that way!

Amen! smile.gif

Anyway...bass tone and mix placement is another skill You can get smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 23 2013, 07:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 22 2013, 12:02 PM) *
Amen! smile.gif

Anyway...bass tone and mix placement is another skill You can get smile.gif

D-man - you also play the bass? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:32 PM