Melodic Death [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Technical Death [ 1 ] ** [1.43%]
Speed [ 2 ] ** [2.86%]
Power [ 3 ] ** [4.29%]
Grind [ 1 ] ** [1.43%]
Pirate [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Drone [ 3 ] ** [4.29%]
Gothic [ 5 ] ** [7.14%]
Symphonic (And all the combos, Symphonic Death, Symphonic Goth ect.) [ 2 ] ** [2.86%]
Black [ 9 ] ** [12.86%]
Viking [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Progressive (And all the combos, Prog Death, Prog Power ect.) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Hair [ 8 ] ** [11.43%]
Folk [ 3 ] ** [4.29%]
Female Fronted Bands In General [ 4 ] ** [5.71%]
A Combination Of The Above Genres Not Mentioned (Please Say Which) [ 1 ] ** [1.43%]
Other [ 5 ] ** [7.14%]
Total Votes: 70
Guests cannot vote 
Mer-V
Jul 20 2007, 11:37 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 20 2007, 02:14 AM) *
There are actually quite alot of Death Metal bands with melody.

Try Arch Enemy, for example, amazing melodys, and solos, very melodic, in fact just check out as many Melodic Death metal bands as you can.

Arch Enemy... That's with the female singer is it not? I believe to have heard my sister listen to that a long time ago. But like I said, I need to broaden my horizon a little. Death metal is just one of those genres I can't really seem to get into. I ussually hear a nice song of some deathmtal band on the radio (streaming radio, mind you), I don't some of their others, and it turnes out that the one I heard on the station was one of their more 'melodic and easy-going' songs (people would still describe it as death metal none the less though).

And for the church's burnings, I don't see how 'paying respect to the native culture' in a land could justify destroying other people's sanctuaries. A church might mean s*** to them, but to a lot of other people it does have great vallue. I can see why some people might still be pissed off about something that happend decades ago, but back then, things were different. Nowadays, when you differ in opion about what so ever, you don't go bludgeoning each others head in and the winner gets to 'apply' his opion to the grey masses. We live in a time that two religions can live with each other, I believe its called 'peacefull coëxistance'.

Edited for language - Andrew

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 20 2007, 02:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jul 20 2007, 12:24 PM
Learning Tone Guru
You can still try Children of bodom as a stepping stone.. You know.. I hated harder metal, than LP and LB, when I started with music (before, I loved Scooter...). And LP was like a stepping stone. Then I heard Slipknot and first I thought OMG its so chaotic.. just stupid screaming, but I started to like some of their songs.. after, i discovered Mnemic, System of a Down and Static X, then SoulFly, then Disturbed, Fear Factory and now.. I can listen to all kinds of metal, without disgust in mysefl - except for glam/hairy metal... I am man, so I can't agree with things like this.. Metal is a manly gengre and this is wrong! :-P

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Jul 20 2007, 12:25 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Mer-V
Jul 20 2007, 12:52 PM
I've listened to scooter as well tongue.gif, oh boy, those were the darker days of my life. However the same thing you had with Slipknot, I had with metallica. When I first heard One I though to myself, 'what kind of guitarmadness is this?', but the more I started listening to their songs (and the older I got), the more I started to like them, to the point whereas I am today, diehard Metallica fan.

But as you say to use some bands as a stepup stone, that might be a good idea, if I had the intention to listen to death metal. I know that some people listen to it just to make a statement, but for me this is not really the case. All the music I've listened to so far, has graduately grown my interest, and have come on my path unquestioned for (so I didn't went looking for it, just because I wanted to like it). So I predict the same for me with death metal, I might start to like it in the future, but for now I'll just stick with the other genres ghehe.

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 20 2007, 08:56 PM
The first death metal i started listening to was Opeth- Ghost Reveries. Its supposed to be progressive death metal, but there songs were so unique and melodies so original I fell in love with them thanks to Uncreator's album review. I still don't enjoy screaming, I feel it lacks to much melody but I've grown to respect mor as a bonafide genre and I've found myself not totally skipping through all the screaming parts of Opeth's songs.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 20 2007, 09:34 PM
QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jul 20 2007, 02:56 PM) *
The first death metal i started listening to was Opeth- Ghost Reveries. Its supposed to be progressive death metal, but there songs were so unique and melodies so original I fell in love with them thanks to Uncreator's album review. I still don't enjoy screaming, I feel it lacks to much melody but I've grown to respect mor as a bonafide genre and I've found myself not totally skipping through all the screaming parts of Opeth's songs.

I really want to hear Otep sometime. Next album I get will probably be them.
BTW I dont mind screaming to much as long as the singer doesnt do it the entire song.
Do they have a lot of that?

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 20 2007, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jul 20 2007, 11:22 AM) *
Whatever...burning down a church is messed up, whether its for buddhists, paganists, or christians...except if it was a church of Satan, those guys are just too weird for their own good. laugh.gif

Why is it messed up? In the early times, Catholics destroyed other religion and forced other to believe in God or Jesus. The fact that this people in Norway burned the history that killed there natural culture was not messed up at all.

Catholiscsm has the most hatred, bloodshed of any holy war that happend throughout mankind. I guesse if it happend hundred of years ago, it doesnt matter anymore.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
LanceB
Jul 21 2007, 02:44 AM
It's still a bit of a shame though. Stave churches are very interesting pieces of architecture.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 21 2007, 05:12 AM
Opeth = best death metal band in the world.. imo.. i here a bunch of people saying deathmetal is unmelodic and they can't listen to it.. Listen to Opeth.. Mikael is the best singer for deathmetal.. his growl is beutiful and his singing is grand too.. opeth is mixed because alot of songs are slower yet keep their evil.. the Grand Conjeration(spelling) goes back and forth every like minute or 2:D. .. not so much screaming in Opeth as there is growling..

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
atomix1337
Jul 21 2007, 05:24 AM
Opeth FTW!!!! <3

I love opeth.... Oh, but the metal genre i hate is really the ones when the guy sounds (literally) like a dog barking, 100% illegible. I mean cmon ><!!

*RUFF RUFF RUFF* with super heavy guitar tongue.gif

My friend listens to the stuff, i think cannibal corpse is one.

This post has been edited by atomix1337: Jul 21 2007, 05:25 AM

--------------------
Gear: Ibanez VBT700BK, Ibanez RG270 Custom Painted (JB/Jazz pups), Strat Knockoff, Marshall V8080, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss MT-2, Boss CH-1 Chorus, Korg AX1G MultiFX.

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jul 21 2007, 05:26 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jul 20 2007, 03:36 PM) *
Why is it messed up? In the early times, Catholics destroyed other religion and forced other to believe in God or Jesus. The fact that this people in Norway burned the history that killed there natural culture was not messed up at all.

Catholiscsm has the most hatred, bloodshed of any holy war that happend throughout mankind. I guesse if it happend hundred of years ago, it doesnt matter anymore.

It's messed up because people are suppose to be more civilized now then any other time.

But I don't want us to get off topic because I could go on and on as to why it's messed up.

To be honest I cannot stand any of the growling and bashing of the smash power chords.. I guess that would be pretty much most of the "new metal".

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 21 2007, 05:28 AM
No powerchords in opeth.. well maybe a couple but they play in d-minor tuning which makes powerchords sound bad so they must do somethign else smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 21 2007, 06:57 AM

i'm not catholic, so impartial.

I have read three books (by university professors) in the past year alone, closely associated with the church. Largely because any study of European history (or Roman History at a certain point) is always closely associated with the church.

And i will say that without a shadow of a doubt, you don't have a clue, about what you are talking. Sounds like something out of a comic book. Sorry Kris, but could not let this nonsense pass.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 21 2007, 08:29 AM

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 21 2007, 07:06 AM

The radical muslims over in the Middle East are working on beating that record though.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 21 2007, 02:13 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Mer-V @ Jul 20 2007, 06:37 AM) *
And for the church's burnings, I don't see how 'paying respect to the native culture' in a land could justify destroying other people's sanctuaries. A church might mean s*** to them, but to a lot of other people it does have great vallue. I can see why some people might still be pissed off about something that happend decades ago, but back then, things were different. Nowadays, when you differ in opion about what so ever, you don't go bludgeoning each others head in and the winner gets to 'apply' his opion to the grey masses. We live in a time that two religions can live with each other, I believe its called 'peacefull coëxistance'.

Edited for language - Andrew

Yeah i can understand your standpoint about the church thing and black metal, but most Black Metal bands would never do that, as dark and evil as some of there imagery might be, alot of them are just normal everyday people who just play music they like. Black Metal has a bit of a stigma since that incident.

And if your not into Death Metal, thats cool man, to each his own.

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 21 2007, 07:38 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jul 20 2007, 04:34 PM) *
I really want to hear Otep sometime. Next album I get will probably be them.
BTW I dont mind screaming to much as long as the singer doesnt do it the entire song.
Do they have a lot of that?

No hardly any actually, on there new album, they have songs with just singing, and his voice is great. I really suggest you pick up some of their stuff I always have Ghost Reveries playing on iTunes when Im posting on GMC. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 21 2007, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jul 20 2007, 04:36 PM) *

I'm saying its just not that nice of a thing to do right? I don't agree with the Catholics destroying Paganism either. I don't want a muslim temple, Jewish synagogue (excuse me if my ignorant vocabulary is off), Paganist church, Catholic church, etc- I don't agree with any of that being destroyed by other people just because they think they are right, because no one is right. I don't like what the Catholics did to Norway, nor do I like what the Pagans did back, stooping to same ignorant, destructive level. I'm buddhist by the way, and what I'm saying is that ITS ALL wrong. Not one house, church, I dont care what you call it should be burned down. ITS WRONG. Obviously if its part of your nations heritage, fine. But don't justify it, what the Norwegians did in response was just as bad, despite the situation. The less angry you are, and the less cared you are of your oppinion, the more you'll see that its all just violence and that none of its good. What about the Catholics that didnt do nothing to nobody? Well, the angry paganists burned down there sunday meeting place because they had to? It was their right? No one has the right to persecute anyone, and the paganists getting back was nothing but putting feul on the fire. Its the same story with every war and every peice of bloodshed thats ever happened. I think if someone here has a rather blunt and descent head on their shoulders, they can see that.

QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jul 21 2007, 02:06 AM) *
The radical muslims over in the Middle East are working on beating that record though.

Lol

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
chast
Jul 21 2007, 08:04 PM
Learning Roadie
[x] Drone

I think this isnt music anymore.
Im not sure about whether Sunn O))) is drone or noise, but i think they refer to both of it.
You have to be a little bit crazy or you like an scary atmosphere, to like that kind of "music", i think wink.gif
My favourite is Melodic Death or Symphonic Black Metal.

This post has been edited by chast: Jul 21 2007, 08:04 PM

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 21 2007, 08:09 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Guys, this is a guitar forum, and the religious stuff is off topic.

If you want to discuss this, please start a thread on the Off Topic board, although I'd rather you didn't because discussions about religion like this are contentious and unlikely to conform to GMC posting standards unless conducted with respect and tolerance.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 21 2007, 08:11 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Mer-V
Jul 21 2007, 10:40 PM
Awww, nothing beats a good'ol religious debate, but I get what you mean, sometimes they tend to get a little out of hand...

And if your not into Death Metal, thats cool man, to each his own.

Its not really that I'm not into death metal, and even though that might be slightly true, my motives do not lay with the fact that some bands tend to get a little to 'extreme', but just because I don't like all the screaming etc.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 22 2007, 12:53 AM
QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jul 21 2007, 11:58 PM) *
I'm saying its just not that nice of a thing to do right? I don't agree with the Catholics destroying Paganism either. I don't want a muslim temple, Jewish synagogue (excuse me if my ignorant vocabulary is off), Paganist church, Catholic church, etc- I don't agree with any of that being destroyed by other people just because they think they are right, because no one is right. I don't like what the Catholics did to Norway, nor do I like what the Pagans did back, stooping to same ignorant, destructive level. I'm buddhist by the way, and what I'm saying is that ITS ALL wrong. Not one house, church, I dont care what you call it should be burned down. ITS WRONG. Obviously if its part of your nations heritage, fine. But don't justify it, what the Norwegians did in response was just as bad, despite the situation. The less angry you are, and the less cared you are of your oppinion, the more you'll see that its all just violence and that none of its good. What about the Catholics that didnt do nothing to nobody? Well, the angry paganists burned down there sunday meeting place because they had to? It was their right? No one has the right to persecute anyone, and the paganists getting back was nothing but putting feul on the fire. Its the same story with every war and every peice of bloodshed thats ever happened. I think if someone here has a rather blunt and descent head on their shoulders, they can see that.
Lol

Yea, I guesse your right. My apologies to everyone for my behavior on this topic.

I'm a Taoist myself. Mostly for the reasons of all the religion saying they are right instead of just living while we are here. I guesse I didnt see that from my point of view at the time. I dont tend to speak much of religion but s*** happens.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 22 2007, 01:01 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:43 PM