2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar In The Mail
jstcrsn
Aug 26 2011, 02:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
my brand new to me ,used ec-1000 in black cherry,showed up today and it is in perfect shape(as described on ebay)
the problem 1. I cut my freting finger at work ,so it will be a few days before I can figure out if I like it
2. this line of guitars( this one being left handed) still has right handed guitar volume knobs,which if you remember any other threads that I learned that ,that makes 90 % of your volume - rolling in at about 2,very difficult to do prpoer swells, so that means I will need to find some left handed parts

still excited however

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 26 2011, 11:20 AM
Instructor
oh yeah!! I know the feeling! congrats!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 26 2011, 11:27 AM
Instructor
Damn those finger injuries that prevent us from guitar time !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2011, 11:47 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Good to hear it arrived in perfect shape. I love ordering stuff from internet/by mail. Hope your finger will heal soon so you can give it a proper test run smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2011, 11:57 AM
Instructor
Well, it's too bad for the pots, but man, you have a great guitar there, congratulations! It will play well, no doubt smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
dark dude
Aug 26 2011, 12:28 PM
GMC:er
Cut your finger? Desperate to play? Superglue! smile.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 26 2011, 12:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark dude @ Aug 26 2011, 12:28 PM) *
Cut your finger? Desperate to play? Superglue! smile.gif

Or even Sellotape.

Yes. That's right. I have. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 30 2011, 04:55 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 25 2011, 09:45 PM) *
my brand new to me ,used ec-1000 in black cherry,showed up today and it is in perfect shape(as described on ebay)
the problem 1. I cut my freting finger at work ,so it will be a few days before I can figure out if I like it
2. this line of guitars( this one being left handed) still has right handed guitar volume knobs,which if you remember any other threads that I learned that ,that makes 90 % of your volume - rolling in at about 2,very difficult to do prpoer swells, so that means I will need to find some left handed parts

still excited however

Conograts! No pics?

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 30 2011, 07:18 AM
Instructor
yeah dude, pics pics pics, i love the EC's, my fav from esp/ltd.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 30 2011, 03:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Try putting the 85 in the bridge and adding an 18v or 24v mod. You'll get all the power of an active with more dynamics and detail in the tone. It'll be a more flexible setup than the regular 81 in the bridge.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 30 2011, 04:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 30 2011, 09:03 AM) *
Try putting the 85 in the bridge and adding an 18v or 24v mod. You'll get all the power of an active with more dynamics and detail in the tone. It'll be a more flexible setup than the regular 81 in the bridge.

That's going to sound like a monster.

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 31 2011, 01:58 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 30 2011, 03:03 PM) *

I was thinking more along the lines of a passive in the bridge seeing that I have an extra volume that I can seperate active and passive

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 31 2011, 04:28 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 30 2011, 08:58 PM) *
I was thinking more along the lines of a passive in the bridge seeing that I have an extra volume that I can seperate active and passive

Thats cool, you should at least give the 85 with the mod a whirl, its a lot less work than soldering in a new wiring system. All you need for the 24V mod is two 23AE 12V batteries and a 9V connector. Just remember to wire it in series. This kit fits in the cavity for the 9v vault battery, so you don't have to force two 9V batteries in the control cavity.

Also, there really isn't much of a difference between the 18V and 24V mod. So if you just want to slap something together quick to see what it sounds like, two 9V's will pretty much give you the same results biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Aug 31 2011, 04:31 AM

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 31 2011, 04:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 30 2011, 10:28 PM) *
Thats cool, you should at least give the 85 with the mod a whirl, its a lot less work than soldering in a new wiring system. All you need for the 24V mod is two 23AE 12V batteries and a 9V connector. Just remember to wire it in series. This kit fits in the cavity for the 9v vault battery, so you don't have to force two 9V batteries in the control cavity.

Also, there really isn't much of a difference between the 18V and 24V mod. So if you just want to slap something together quick to see what it sounds like, two 9V's will pretty much give you the same results biggrin.gif

Hey im pretty new to active system, how does this works i'm lost, i thought the 85 already comes with the pre amp and baterry connection?

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 31 2011, 05:32 AM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 30 2011, 11:58 PM) *
Hey im pretty new to active system, how does this works i'm lost, i thought the 85 already comes with the pre amp and baterry connection?

An active system basically boosts and reduces certain frequencies in order to achieve the desired sound. The magnets in active systems are actually very weak because there is no need for them to be strong; all of the power comes from the preamp. This is the reason why with active pickups you can put them right up against the strings without the magnets causing string drag. Some models of EMG's have a lot of tone shaping, while others have very little. The real beauty of active pickups is the fact that the tone can be shaped within the preamp in ways that are not possible with different configurations of coil winding.

So, yes, the 85 does come with a battery and preamp. The preamp is built into the pickup. It cannot be taken out or modified unless you remove the heavy coating of resin. And it also comes with a battery connection. But this battery connection only works with one 9V battery. If you want to use different voltage batteries you'll have to attach a 9V battery to them in order to connect it to the connector built into the guitar. Hope that was clear blink.gif

This is just a brief synopsis. If you would like to read more check out this article.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 31 2011, 05:35 AM
Instructor
i got it now, what i don't get yet is the difference between a 9v power source and a 18-24, i'm guessing the pickup/pre-amp is made to work with 9v, so why the overdrive?

will check that article smile.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 31 2011, 05:56 AM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 31 2011, 12:35 AM) *
i got it now, what i don't get yet is the difference between a 9v power source and a 18-24, i'm guessing the pickup/pre-amp is made to work with 9v, so why the overdrive?

will check that article smile.gif

The 18V mod basically increases the headroom of the pickup, so the sound is less compressed. I assume this happens because it has more voltage to work with, kinda the same way a 100 watt tube amp has more headroom than a 30 watt one. I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this biggrin.gif

The 85 in the bridge with the mod will lose some tightness, so if you play super precise metal with a lot of tight chugga chugga you might not want to do this mod.

I must add though, this is EXTREMELY important. Make sure the polarity of the batteries are correct, so don't let the positive of the batteries touch the positive of the pickup system. If this happens it will fry your preamp, and you'll need new pickups sad.gif

By the way, I hate to be the guy to point this out, but your signature could use some cropping, its kinda difficult reading this thread. You could just put one picture of Ben eating a donut, I don't think he'd mind tongue.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 31 2011, 06:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 30 2011, 11:56 PM) *
The 18V mod basically increases the headroom of the pickup, so the sound is less compressed. I assume this happens because it has more voltage to work with, kinda the same way a 100 watt tube amp has more headroom than a 30 watt one. I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this biggrin.gif

The 85 in the bridge with the mod will lose some tightness, so if you play super precise metal with a lot of tight chugga chugga you might not want to do this mod.

I must add though, this is EXTREMELY important. Make sure the polarity of the batteries are correct, so don't let the positive of the batteries touch the positive of the pickup system. If this happens it will fry your preamp, and you'll need new pickups sad.gif

By the way, I hate to be the guy to point this out, but your signature could use some cropping, its kinda difficult reading this thread. You could just put one picture of Ben eating a donut, I don't think he'd mind tongue.gif

I think i got it now, will check more about it, it sounds very cool. I never had any active pickups before because i thought the were going to color the tone too much, but now, i guess it doesn't have anything to do with tone, it should be like a clean boost of some sort.

I guess lower magnet output + clean boost = less noise and stronger signal, so i will check it out.

About my sig, yeah dude i hear ya, it's one of those things that i need to do but i just can't find a moment to do it.. will do it tho tongue.gif!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 31 2011, 06:16 AM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 31 2011, 01:01 AM) *
I think i got it now, will check more about it, it sounds very cool. I never had any active pickups before because i thought the were going to color the tone too much, but now, i guess it doesn't have anything to do with tone, it should be like a clean boost of some sort.

I guess lower magnet output + clean boost = less noise and stronger signal, so i will check it out.

About my sig, yeah dude i hear ya, it's one of those things that i need to do but i just can't find a moment to do it.. will do it tho tongue.gif!

Ya, its kinda like a clean boost, with an active EQ in it. An active EQ can boost frequencies, while a passive EQ can only cut certain frequencies, meaning it can't add to the signal. Some of the EMG's have a little EQ'ing, like the 81 and 85, while the some have a lot of tone shaping, like the 60. The 60 is one the their best neck pickups for clean tones. I played your "My Favorite Zeppelin" lesson when I had the 85 in the bridge w/mod, and it sounded really good. However, I did use a lot more gain than you did tongue.gif But those open and power chords in the lesson sounded very clear and defined with all the gain biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Aug 31 2011, 06:16 AM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 31 2011, 07:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 31 2011, 12:16 AM) *
Ya, its kinda like a clean boost, with an active EQ in it. An active EQ can boost frequencies, while a passive EQ can only cut certain frequencies, meaning it can't add to the signal. Some of the EMG's have a little EQ'ing, like the 81 and 85, while the some have a lot of tone shaping, like the 60. The 60 is one the their best neck pickups for clean tones. I played your "My Favorite Zeppelin" lesson when I had the 85 in the bridge w/mod, and it sounded really good. However, I did use a lot more gain than you did tongue.gif But those open and power chords in the lesson sounded very clear and defined with all the gain biggrin.gif

I wanna check that take again, do you still got the link?!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:08 PM