Demoed Some; Fender, Taurus And Ibanez Amps
Mertay
Feb 22 2015, 05:42 PM
GMC:er
A close friend of mine decided to move on to a real amp as he wasn't happy with specially the clean sounds he gets from the computer. He needed something very versatile, from ambient to shred to Fender-y clean sounds. So asked me to give opinion before he pulled the trigger...

I went to the store with him to listen an ibanez TSA30 head with Fender hot rod dlx enclosure...he said that he already compared the TSA30 combo version against the head and Fender cab. and they were much better.

So I listened the combination and in a marshall-esque fashion it was nice. The typical thick Tubescreamer coloration and the cab. helped balanced it. But there weren't any highs to it, like use a Fender strat and compared to a humbucker it wouldn't be night and day...So it was good for dist., thick jazzy tones but no crystal cleans...nice but not so versatile...

We were on the budget and the store guy offered to try a Fender hot rod deluxe special edition (difference from standard; yellow enclosure, jensen speaker and a little tweaked drive channel). It was only a little bit more expensive so we fired it up.

On cleans, the highs were there! the amps reverb sounded amazing (spring reverb but very hall-like), think a typical Fender amp but with stronger low end. Nothing massive but very full. Then on the overdrive channel we tested many settings (on 6 guitars! and yeah each sounded very different too wink.gif ). It starts from classic blues/rock'n roll to max modern rock'n roll or almost early evh amounts of distortion.

My concern was since it had the highs, would it be ear piercing with strong distortion (like most Fender amps have). We decided to place a boss ds1x, it sounded amazing smile.gif the ds1x is actually digital and I usually find these sort of pedals boxy sounding but that Fender really made it sound nice smile.gif

As I felt we found the right amp, my friend said it was a bit noisey. Well, it did have noise with the overdrive (and the stores electricity wasn't the most proper as zillions of amps were already plugged) but thats something to be expected...as I was trying to explain him about that noise (analog vs digital thing... smile.gif ). The store guy suggested to try a Taurus biggrin.gif

It was a Taurus Stomp Head 4 SL HG, I listened to it before but was very short and now I had a proper chance. We plugged it to the same Fender cab. we tested the ibanez head.

As we heard the cleans (all knobs flat) I had an idiot smile on my face biggrin.gif First thing I noticed was it had the most balanced mid.s I heard on anything ever! smile.gif many modern sounding amps sound scooped (too noticeably decreased mid.s) in the mid.s but this was just perfect.

Well, for a traditionalist this also means flat but I'd still say flat in a good way. It sure couldn't do the bluesy cleans of the Fender we tested but did felt it could with a pedal...I actually played with the eq's on it to see if it could be set a bit more traditional vibe but it wasn't engineered that way. But my "engineer ears" says it has the potential smile.gif

But this thing shines on distortion, did pretty much anything and I felt this might be more affordable as it didn't need pedals or maybe 1 max for personalized tone smile.gif Oh and yes its more quiet than Fender, not extreme but side by side was better though I think this isn't important...

So the Taurus option was the most versatile (and expensive) as the tone was super balanced but the Fender amp had the preferable "signature" tone plus proved it could handle anything we throw at it. There was no right or wrong decision and after some debate my friend picked the Fender amp and finally it was over, we realized later we spent 3 hours in that store biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 22 2015, 05:44 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 5 2015, 11:07 AM
Instructor
Poor "store guy" tongue.gif I hope You didn't make him listen all those metallica and led zeppelin song he has to listen ew times a day biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 5 2015, 04:54 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 5 2015, 10:07 AM) *
Poor "store guy" tongue.gif I hope You didn't make him listen all those metallica and led zeppelin song he has to listen ew times a day biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Have to say the guy was awesome, for 3 hours he took care of my friend and did every request I made. I still can't believe we made him play 6 guitars multiple times biggrin.gif

To be fair the amp was expensive and The store manager did the selling/billing part so we gave him the most positive feedback we could for that guy smile.gif

Unless its a guitar I always make the store guys play too to check the tone. Listening like the audience (actually more like producer...) works for me when shopping, specially when its for someone else and his/her liking isn't close to my style of tones. Then feeling safe doing the shopping, I go home and adjust stuff in detail not worrying I can do a big wrong.

I haven't played that Fender amp later again but want to, specially since the tubes are new it will be a joy for my friend when their tone stabilizes.

But man that Taurus is amazing smile.gif I can't afford it now but someday I hope to get one smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 5 2015, 04:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:17 PM