Need A Recording Set-up
Adam
Nov 9 2019, 05:20 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi GMC-ers! I already asked about it but I've saved up and need to make my decision ASAP. My guesses are Steinberg, Presonus and Focusrite, as for DI boxes. But if it's possible to use SM57 with a console mixer, then it's my preferred choice. Can it work that way with one of the USB mixers? I'm getting fluent at Audacity and I don't need anything for digital processing.

I just want something I can plug in to and not worry about outdated drivers and configuration, so I can start some serious recording. I recently graduated from Uni and time-wise, I can do it now smile.gif My brother released two solo albums to YT, as I accidentally found out and i don't want to stay behind.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 9 2019, 03:55 PM
GMC:er
First of all congrats on the graduation smile.gif

I don't recommend consoles as to be honest unless high-end they don't contribute to tone, take too much space and might even be more noisy due to the extra internal components.

Soundcard brands you listed are fine, I don't see driver problems as often I did compared to the past with popular soundcards. You can also check Audient as supposedly it has a touch better di sound but I have no experience.

I never used Audacity but if its limited in any way compared to reaper I wouldn't waste time on it. You may not need all reaper features today but as you progress and have bigger expectations in the future, not needing to learn a new DAW will be a huge comfort.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 9 2019, 08:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
these days these are so far better than ten years ago, that being said I would try to find one that has 4 outputs , for future routing options for not having to buy another one , for instance you could re-amp your signal while mixing in stereo

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2019, 12:08 AM
The iconnectivity 4+ lets you route all of the outputs and inputs. It's darn handy. It has four ins and four outs that you can configure in any way you like, you can loop audio back through it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D41i6EWfqs

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 9 2019, 03:26 PM) *
these days these are so far better than ten years ago, that being said I would try to find one that has 4 outputs , for future routing options for not having to buy another one , for instance you could re-amp your signal while mixing in stereo

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 10 2019, 12:08 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 10 2019, 02:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
having not researched this since I was not in the market for one . I am going to strongly agree with Todd on this one

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 10 2019, 05:18 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 9 2019, 04:55 PM) *
First of all congrats on the graduation smile.gif

I don't recommend consoles as to be honest unless high-end they don't contribute to tone, take too much space and might even be more noisy due to the extra internal components.

Soundcard brands you listed are fine, I don't see driver problems as often I did compared to the past with popular soundcards. You can also check Audient as supposedly it has a touch better di sound but I have no experience.

I never used Audacity but if its limited in any way compared to reaper I wouldn't waste time on it. You may not need all reaper features today but as you progress and have bigger expectations in the future, not needing to learn a new DAW will be a huge comfort.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 9 2019, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 10 2019, 01:08 AM) *
The iconnectivity 4+ lets you route all of the outputs and inputs. It's darn handy. It has four ins and four outs that you can configure in any way you like, you can loop audio back through it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D41i6EWfqs

Thank you for the replies! It seems that going for just a mic isn't the best way out, so maybe in the future. I'll forfeit my analogue pride for now and get the DI box. Focusrite 2i2 3Gen. seems a good choice. I've watched a few tests, etc. and Steinberg has the loudest noise level out of the three. Prosonus seems to have less headroom than others. Scarlett has no MIDI ports but I'll worry about it when I get a proper keyboard.

I just have one more question: can you plug a signal chain from the guitar, through preamp section and stompboxes into the interface?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 10 2019, 02:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 10 2019, 05:18 AM) *
Thank you for the replies! It seems that going for just a mic isn't the best way out, so maybe in the future. I'll forfeit my analogue pride for now and get the DI box. Focusrite 2i2 3Gen. seems a good choice. I've watched a few tests, etc. and Steinberg has the loudest noise level out of the three. Prosonus seems to have less headroom than others. Scarlett has no MIDI ports but I'll worry about it when I get a proper keyboard.

I just have one more question: can you plug a signal chain from the guitar, through preamp section and stompboxes into the interface?

not to get a good sound , if you want to do that , you want to run your pedels/amp and then go into " two notes torpedo "

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 10 2019, 04:08 PM
Pedals work fine, preamps though will need poweramp sim.s or they'll sound very weak.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2019, 06:09 AM
agreed. Or skip the pedals and use overloud ThU which has a cheaper rock version about 100 euro with every pedal you can imagine and every amp every cab etc. You are not married to the sound you can change it at any time. It's a revolution in home recording to be honest. Once you are ready for it that is smile.gif
Also the scarlett is a fine choice. You'd asked about four outputs and routing which is something the other one does a bit better but still the scarlett is a fine unit and the other one is way more complicated.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 10 2019, 11:08 AM) *
Pedals work fine, preamps though will need poweramp sim.s or they'll sound very weak.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 11 2019, 06:12 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 11 2019, 08:52 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 10 2019, 03:09 PM) *
not to get a good sound , if you want to do that , you want to run your pedels/amp and then go into " two notes torpedo "

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 10 2019, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 11 2019, 07:09 AM) *
agreed. Or skip the pedals and use overloud ThU which has a cheaper rock version about 100 euro with every pedal you can imagine and every amp every cab etc. You are not married to the sound you can change it at any time. It's a revolution in home recording to be honest. Once you are ready for it that is smile.gif
Also the scarlett is a fine choice. You'd asked about four outputs and routing which is something the other one does a bit better but still the scarlett is a fine unit and the other one is way more complicated.

I suppose I will skip pedals completely. I want a MIDI controller too, so I can compose music for my game. Those items you linked look great but not for my budget. The 4 input units, both the iConnectivity and Scarlett version are too expensive for the same reason. I just have the tone I like already and I don't want to sound like my idols etc., so I don't think I will be upgrading it. I might get SM57 in the future, when I save up some more, and put that through the Scarlett to shape my recording tone that way instead.

I got a BIAS FX, the standard version, when they were giving it away and it has a few amps and boxes. Maybe it will work out just fine with whatever comes with Scarlett unit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2019, 10:33 PM
The 2 inputs scarlet is a GREAT unit and will make you happy im sure smile.gif . One thing about Midi, most any decent keyboard, even cheap ones will have a USB output which lets you plug it right in to your computer or usb hub so you don't need a usb converter as that is done in the keyboard. Assuming I understand what you are saying. If you want a midi guitar thing, that's another story. The cheapest way is to do what I do and get a guitar game controller and a midi to usb adapter. Entire setup $80 it's the chepest way to play guitar notes in to your computer. There are other ways, they are just all more expensive.

QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 11 2019, 03:52 AM) *
I suppose I will skip pedals completely. I want a MIDI controller too, so I can compose music for my game. Those items you linked look great but not for my budget. The 4 input units, both the iConnectivity and Scarlett version are too expensive for the same reason. I just have the tone I like already and I don't want to sound like my idols etc., so I don't think I will be upgrading it. I might get SM57 in the future, when I save up some more, and put that through the Scarlett to shape my recording tone that way instead.
BIAS is AWESOME!!! if you get the scarlet, and use BIAS, congrats! You have a full on production home studio. You can start recording right away and and you can change the bias tone at any time in production which is the modern way of going about things. That way, you can change it during mix down if you find the guitar tone is not working. So really, from the sound of it, you just need the scarlett to get started.

I got a BIAS FX, the standard version, when they were giving it away and it has a few amps and boxes. Maybe it will work out just fine with whatever comes with Scarlett unit.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 11 2019, 10:35 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 11 2019, 11:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 11 2019, 11:33 PM) *
The 2 inputs scarlet is a GREAT unit and will make you happy im sure smile.gif . One thing about Midi, most any decent keyboard, even cheap ones will have a USB output which lets you plug it right in to your computer or usb hub so you don't need a usb converter as that is done in the keyboard. Assuming I understand what you are saying. If you want a midi guitar thing, that's another story. The cheapest way is to do what I do and get a guitar game controller and a midi to usb adapter. Entire setup $80 it's the chepest way to play guitar notes in to your computer. There are other ways, they are just all more expensive.

So recording with a MIDI keyboard (that's what I want to get) is done directly in DAW then? That's one less worry, then smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2019, 12:13 AM
these days yeah smile.gif They are called "controllers" as it's just a midi keyboard that uses the computer for all of it's sounds. You can get wads of free sounds and sound banks. You can get a 49 key midi controller for $63 from thomann
https://m.thomannmusic.com/alesis_q49.htm?o...arch=1573513923

here is the free version of SAMPLE TANK which will get you started with keyboard sounds smile.gif

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletankcs/

QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 11 2019, 06:38 PM) *
So recording with a MIDI keyboard (that's what I want to get) is done directly in DAW then? That's one less worry, then smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 12 2019, 12:15 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 12 2019, 01:16 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 12 2019, 01:13 AM) *
these days yeah smile.gif They are called "controllers" as it's just a midi keyboard that uses the computer for all of it's sounds. You can get wads of free sounds and sound banks. You can get a 49 key midi controller for $63 from thomann
https://m.thomannmusic.com/alesis_q49.htm?o...arch=1573513923

here is the free version of SAMPLE TANK which will get you started with keyboard sounds smile.gif

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletankcs/

Can these controllers be set up for different octaves of the same sound? I will most likely get a 49 keys version, so I'd record bit by bit and put the pieces together.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2019, 04:09 AM
Sure smile.gif there is usually a button on the controller for octave up and octave down.

QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 11 2019, 08:16 PM) *
Can these controllers be set up for different octaves of the same sound? I will most likely get a 49 keys version, so I'd record bit by bit and put the pieces together.

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 17 2019, 08:33 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 12 2019, 05:09 AM) *
Sure smile.gif there is usually a button on the controller for octave up and octave down.

That solves the problem, thank you smile.gif

I have one last question: is it possible to record bass guitar with Scarlett unit?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2019, 12:07 AM
Sure!!
QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 17 2019, 03:33 AM) *
That solves the problem, thank you smile.gif

I have one last question: is it possible to record bass guitar with Scarlett unit?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:22 AM