Practicing Guitar Standing Up Vs Standing Down
Marius Pop
May 19 2014, 04:53 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! This is a topic I think is really productive. For a lot of years I've practiced guitar standing down and of course had a lot of difficulties reproducing the licks standing up in a live situation. I was really frustrated by the situation and I had to do something about it. I continued practicing standing down, but when I felt I interiorized what I was studying, I went straight to practicing the licks standing up. A lot of things started improoving.
What are your thoughts on this? biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 19 2014, 06:21 PM
Instructor
I like to mix it up.. I do encourage people to do more practise standing up, if only for the reason that it's more relaxing for your shoulders and arms compared to being hunched over a guitar in a seat.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 19 2014, 06:36 PM
GMC:er
If I'm learning songs for a gig I will be doing 'standing up' - then I stand up when I practice. Or least make sure that it's all comfortable to play while standing up.

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 19 2014, 07:23 PM
Instructor
Exactly! It's healthier standing up laugh.gif I'm glad to know I'm not the only practicing this way smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
May 19 2014, 09:12 PM
Funny you brought this up. For the past year or so, since I crammed an electronic drum set into my already small practice area, I lost my area to stand up and play. I had to shove my pedal board under my desk because there was nowhere else to put it, hence, I have been sitting down to practice all this time. Granted - learning something new, I think sitting down makes it a little easier - also recording tracks - having to constantly mess with the keyboard, but to really get a feel for playing I have to stand up, and I prefer playing standing up.

So, a few days ago I tore down my desk and have purchased a new one, which will allow me an area to stand up and play again.

They both have their benefits.

Now, If I could just find a video loop of cheering, adoring concert fans taken from a stage to play on the TV while I practice, that's what I really need. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 20 2014, 08:43 AM
Instructor
I for one find it as a crucial aspect of playing as a pro musician. A performance is a totally different sort of playing in comparison to practicing - you have to put up a show. Of course, it all depends on what sort of music you are playing, but if you're in a band that plays rock, pop, metal, country, you need to be able to control your instrument while moving, jumping, NOT looking at what you are playing and so on.

When I prepare for a gig, I usually stand and analyze the passages in which I can move around and jump and not look at the instrument so that I can communicate with the audience. Who the hell wants to listen to a guy who keeps his face burried in his guitar neck and cringes all the time without throwing at least a darn friendly gaze at the public?

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 21 2014, 12:22 AM
Instructor
Hahaha laugh.gif That's great, Spock!
Yeah, Cosmin, you're right. A live act is totaly different from your practice session. You do have to communicate something to the audience and this is a good exercise: not looking at your guitar while playing - of course, we all have to take a look at it once in a while in case of sudden melody jumps but I think it really helps taking your eyes off it and add a little BB King facial expressions to your act laugh.gif
We should all try it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 21 2014, 01:39 AM
And I had to learn the hard way too.

There have been times when I've made up parts for songs while I was sitting down only to find out in the first rehearsal that I did a stretchy chord that I really couldn't make standing up.
So now whenever I working out parts for songs if there's anything 'questionable', technique wise, I'll stand up to check it.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2014, 08:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ May 20 2014, 11:22 PM) *
Hahaha laugh.gif That's great, Spock!
Yeah, Cosmin, you're right. A live act is totaly different from your practice session. You do have to communicate something to the audience and this is a good exercise: not looking at your guitar while playing - of course, we all have to take a look at it once in a while in case of sudden melody jumps but I think it really helps taking your eyes off it and add a little BB King facial expressions to your act laugh.gif
We should all try it! smile.gif

Ah, of course man biggrin.gif But not looking, even at home when you practice, is good practice in itself. I like to close my eyes and envision the fretboard based on what I feel with my right hand. I don't necessary play things that are SO complicated, they would require all my focus at such a high degree, but they are not easy either.

Marius, what's the toughest thing you ever played live? Not necessarily the fastest, but the one piece that required all your undivided attention smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 21 2014, 10:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 21 2014, 10:03 AM) *
Ah, of course man biggrin.gif But not looking, even at home when you practice, is good practice in itself. I like to close my eyes and envision the fretboard based on what I feel with my right hand. I don't necessary play things that are SO complicated, they would require all my focus at such a high degree, but they are not easy either.

Marius, what's the toughest thing you ever played live? Not necessarily the fastest, but the one piece that required all your undivided attention smile.gif

I think this required all my undivided attention, especially from 4:57 to the end

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 21 2014, 08:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Batters practice with weights on their bats so when they play in the game, the bat feels lighter. In the same way, you should push the limits of your comfort zone. Personally, I have my guitar strap as low as it will go. I started playing that way so that when I got stage, I would use the strap half way and I would feel "more at home". These days, I play leave my strap all the way down - took maybe a year to become fully comfortable with it, but now it feels great, and when I sit down to practice, stretching for those long intervals is much more comfortable too.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 21 2014, 08:28 PM
Instructor
That's really interesting, Sir Jamsalot! smile.gif Good point you have there: pushing the limits of your comfort zone. I once heard of a piano player using something similar to this concept: he'd learn a song at a slow tempo then get it up to normal speed and then he'd start studying it at a faster tempo so that the original piece would become more comfortable. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2014, 09:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ May 21 2014, 07:28 PM) *
That's really interesting, Sir Jamsalot! smile.gif Good point you have there: pushing the limits of your comfort zone. I once heard of a piano player using something similar to this concept: he'd learn a song at a slow tempo then get it up to normal speed and then he'd start studying it at a faster tempo so that the original piece would become more comfortable. smile.gif

True, true - our very own Ben also recommends this technique and when I was about 17 I heard about some folks sticking batteries to their fingers so that their playing would be slower and more difficult and when they took em off - zap! Have you guys ever tried this? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 22 2014, 12:40 AM
Instructor
Now this is really interesting!! Hahahaha laugh.gif I haven't tried this - have not been focusing on technique lately but it sure is food for thought biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 22 2014, 03:21 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I practice with the guitar in the classical position, so when I stand up to play the transition isn't very drastic. Some say it looks dorky playing it like that, but I don't really care because I'm not that insecure.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 22 2014, 08:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 22 2014, 02:21 AM) *
I practice with the guitar in the classical position, so when I stand up to play the transition isn't very drastic. Some say it looks dorky playing it like that, but I don't really care because I'm not that insecure.

It might look dorky, but it's the healthiest position for the body when you are sitting smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 27 2014, 12:36 PM
Instructor
Btw, this was not easy laugh.gif:

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 28 2014, 07:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ May 27 2014, 11:36 AM) *
Btw, this was not easy laugh.gif:

It certainly doesn't look and sound like something easy - what's the story behind this tune? smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:20 AM