Dragonforce
Ayen
Sep 22 2007, 07:42 AM
GMC:er
Me and a friend were planning to play a Dragonforce song at an upcoming talent show. We've both been playing for about a year and a half now, and so far we haven't practiced much but its a definite possibility we could get it down by the time we get on stage. I was wondering though, has anyone here learned to play anything from Dragonforce, including the solo's? If so, how hard did you think it was?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Iluha
Sep 22 2007, 07:47 AM
From what I heard they actually sped up their solos... so I think it might be a tough task to learn their songs tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 22 2007, 07:49 AM
Well, being a tough task is a given, but as I am now I've got nothing else to do but practice for 6 months. I really hope they don't speed up their solo's, because then we'd have to switch songs sad.gif.

This post has been edited by Ayen: Sep 22 2007, 07:49 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 22 2007, 07:50 AM
Instructor
I have never seen a good cover of any of their songs....good luck with it! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 22 2007, 08:03 AM
Haha thanks Pavel, I'm actually reconsidering an easier song now, maybe tone it down to Yngwie.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Sep 22 2007, 08:09 AM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 22 2007, 08:50 AM) *
I have never seen a good cover of any of their songs....good luck with it! smile.gif

Haven't seen them play it good live either tongue.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 22 2007, 08:11 AM
QUOTE (Dexxter @ Sep 22 2007, 07:09 AM) *
Haven't seen them play it good live either tongue.gif wink.gif

I havent heard them play it good in studio either.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 22 2007, 08:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ayen @ Sep 22 2007, 09:03 AM) *
Haha thanks Pavel, I'm actually reconsidering an easier song now, maybe tone it down to Yngwie.

Hey i didn't say it to turn you away from it...it's just to me that band is actually like cheaters in games! They can't play it live so i think a good thing to do would be to pick a better band and to really get people's attention while playing that concert by some good song. Doesn't have to be ultra difficult - better make a really catchy one - catchy even to a non-guitar-player. smile.gif My 2 cents!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 22 2007, 08:32 AM
The thing that drew us to Dragonforce was originally how fun their things are to play, but if they can't play it too well live, there's no chance I can.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 22 2007, 08:34 AM
My opinion
Find something else to play.You have been playing a year and a half and expect to play a Dragonforce song?I guess anything is possible but just beinghonest i thinkit would be a mistake to play infront of everyone something that some people can never play.They play insanly fast leads so how are you gonna pull that off even in the next year?I dont mean to bum you just straight up,it s a bad idea.There's so much more you can do to stand out and play awesome leads other than playing that stuff.

I dont really like Dragonforce,some of there lead is really amazing but the over all product of the band isnt something i can listen to.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 22 2007, 09:38 AM
I see, to tell the truth I really wasn't too enthusiastic about it. I would've ended up playing rhythm (or the Dragonforce equivalent.. ) the entire time. I actually wanted to play Fade to Black, but everyone else thought we could've gone so much better and faster

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 22 2007, 09:56 AM
QUOTE (Ayen @ Sep 22 2007, 04:38 AM) *
I see, to tell the truth I really wasn't too enthusiastic about it. I would've ended up playing rhythm (or the Dragonforce equivalent.. ) the entire time. I actually wanted to play Fade to Black, but everyone else thought we could've gone so much better and faster

Dude you dont have to play 300 bpm's already to be awesome.I think fade to black would be killer to do.There's all kinds of stuff out there to play that will still make you shine.Please dont take it like i was saying youCANT do something.I was just being honest as i havent looked at any of there tabs but know they play like 50,000 notes a minute .I've played for 11 years straight amd i wouldnt attempt to cover them.Good luck man and let us know what you decide wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 22 2007, 09:58 AM
I'm going to stick with Fade To Black, or probably Orion, and just wait out the rest of them giving up on Dragonforce. Shouldn't be long, they're all extremely lazy.

Edit: And don't worry, I didn't take it as a put-down tongue.gif, I know GMC well enough to realize that most, if not all of the criticism coming from you guys is purely constructive.

This post has been edited by Ayen: Sep 22 2007, 09:59 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 22 2007, 10:13 AM
QUOTE (Ayen @ Sep 22 2007, 04:58 AM) *
I'm going to stick with Fade To Black, or probably Orion, and just wait out the rest of them giving up on Dragonforce. Shouldn't be long, they're all extremely lazy.

Edit: And don't worry, I didn't take it as a put-down tongue.gif, I know GMC well enough to realize that most, if not all of the criticism coming from you guys is purely constructive.

Orion is sweet to.I believe that right when the guitars really kick in at about 45sec its oneof the heaviest songs i have ever heard.Very good one to play as well as the solo's are not to difficult and you dont need a singer biggrin.gif If your wanting to stand out at talent show and the dudes your playing with got the talent i'd go with orion.Just that heavy riff will get everybody going wild!!!!!

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 22 2007, 10:25 AM
SPEED IS NOTHING.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 22 2007, 10:37 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Regarding to whoever said they speed up solos, not true, there speed is not impossible, its very reachable in fact.

The only Dragonforce song i know including solo is "Dawn Over A New World", which is also my favorite.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 22 2007, 12:49 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Sep 22 2007, 03:13 AM) *
Orion is sweet to.I believe that right when the guitars really kick in at about 45sec its oneof the heaviest songs i have ever heard.Very good one to play as well as the solo's are not to difficult and you dont need a singer biggrin.gif If your wanting to stand out at talent show and the dudes your playing with got the talent i'd go with orion.Just that heavy riff will get everybody going wild!!!!!

Orion is a great song, thats the song me and my band are practicing, i say, go for Orion! wink.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 22 2007, 04:20 PM
Lets go fishing!
why not put your skills to good use and write your own guitar solo? just a though - people might really go for it smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 22 2007, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Sep 22 2007, 11:37 AM) *
Regarding to whoever said they speed up solos, not true, there speed is not impossible, its very reachable in fact.

The only Dragonforce song i know including solo is "Dawn Over A New World", which is also my favorite.

I didn't say it wasn't reachable, but they specificly eith speed it up, or record it in really really small parts, and then they can't really play their songs live. this applies to most of their songs, Dawn Over A New World is one of the exclusions.

Ayen, you should maybe even consider playing something "emotional" or just something really well known, like maybe Nothing Else Matters or Comfortbly Numb.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 22 2007, 08:11 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 22 2007, 04:25 AM) *
SPEED IS NOTHING.

It can be nothing, or it can be something, if well used. The best in my view, play very slowly at times, as well as fast.

I don't care for a band like Dragonforce, find them pretty unidimensional, music with no soul, just a showcase for how fast these guys think they are. Might as well watch Robots shredding.

QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 22 2007, 01:48 PM) *
I didn't say it wasn't reachable, but they specificly eith speed it up, or record it in really really small parts, and then they can't really play their songs live. this applies to most of their songs, Dawn Over A New World is one of the exclusions.
Ayen, you should maybe even consider playing something "emotional" or just something really well known, like maybe Nothing Else Matters or Comfortbly Numb.

I think he is better off with DragonForce than Comfortably Numb. I have not heard a good cover of that, pretty hard to really capture something like that, and not sound pretty artificial. There is a reason that is near the top all time list of solos, it is not just the song, it is the player primarily.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:28 PM