Working On Many Songs At The Same Time...
Tuubsu
Mar 21 2008, 06:56 AM
GMC:er
I've had so many ideas lately that I find interesting and good topics for songs of my style, that I'm having a massive overflow of ideas. laugh.gif
I would like to know if you guys ever work on many songs at the same time? Do you think it would kinda disturb the creation of one song and make it not as good as it has potential?

I think two songs are very reasonable to be made at the same time, but I have 5 ideas at the moment that I can't wait to get working on, and I've came up with them within the last week...

So, please share your thoughts.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 21 2008, 08:06 AM
Learning Tone Guru
I dont consider it bad:) There is only one rule to be held - RECORD (or tab ofc smile.gif ) EVERY IDEA YOU GET smile.gif because our memory... fails smile.gif

Also.. its unlikely, that you finish song right off the cuff.. better chance is, that you will work on it for days/weeks/months.. and you surely can do more things at one time, as long, as they are different and you record/tab every idea smile.gif

Cheers

Jakub

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 21 2008, 08:54 AM
Pretty much same thoughts mate! smile.gif
Though I have never worked on a song for months wink.gif

The only thing that I'm afraid of is that sometimes I start making some song in a certain "mood" and it starts to go just nicely but if I would put it aside for awhile I might loose that precious mood or feeling if you will... but I don't know smile.gif

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 21 2008, 08:56 AM
Singing Instructor
first off all...GREAT topic man smile.gif.....
well...no....I work one song at the time.....the reason is actualy what you sad...I do not want the energy of a song to run in to another vibe or energy....
but from time to time I take my recorder and go for a walk...and just sing melody after melody...
so when I get home I have the time to listen to what I v come up to..and then make the songs....smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 21 2008, 09:02 AM
Instructor
I'm always working is lot of songs at the same time, I think it's the best 'cos it's important to write some compass EVERY DAY and if you cannot write for a particular song maybe you can write for another one smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 21 2008, 09:13 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Srry for double post.. Internet lagged so I hit refresh.. you got picture..

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Mar 21 2008, 09:14 AM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 21 2008, 09:13 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Just like Juan said.. Yesterday, I wrote almost complete song.. with 3 guitars, bass, a bit of lyrics and singing melody and solo.. When I woke up this morning, I said to my self "geese... that sucks.. how could I compose it?"

But I wont delete it, because I know, that one day, that mood will come again:) Ideas need to grow.. And you must not force them. It might become masterpiece in few days.. in few months.. or never:) But you never now.. every song is like a lottery ticket:) Most of them are losing ones... but one of them must win:) And then you have to find out, WHY it won.. what is your right way to write music and what is the style, you are best composing in smile.gif

Most important thnig (that I am hardly fighting to keep) is to NEVER WASTE TIME AND IDEAS:) Even a sucky lick/rythm can be improved and be used:)

just a few words, from 7 months playing guitarist biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Mar 21 2008, 09:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Mar 21 2008, 09:21 AM
Instructor
I work on many songs at the same time.
If you are lucky to finish one song in few days I think it's like a picture of yourself at that moment, a kind of "mood-freezing".
Some songs are in stand-by - half finished, or something like that - while I'm focusing on other songs.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 21 2008, 09:48 AM
I usually write one song after another, I guess they just come to me that way. But I have I wierd way of writing, I don't try to write, riffs just kind of come to me all of a sudden, ususally they all fit together in one song. I guess because once I get the feel of the song, I just run with it, of course sometimes I'll throw something odd in there that fits but stands out.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 21 2008, 10:25 AM
Instructor
I try to write music every day 'cos IMHO it's the best way to keep your mind working and improving your imagination. I usually write 'normal' songs but often I writen 'crazy' songs... or crazy experiments just to know what's the limit of my imagination mmm maybe a 15/16 riff, or an amalgam with 7/8 + 19/16 + 3/8, or a lick using 2 or more absolutely different scales at the same time... there are lot of crazy combination, and it will be useful when you write songs and really funny !!!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 21 2008, 11:09 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Yeah, I work on many songs all the time smile.gif
Takes a while to finish a song but I have so many ideas I can't just sit down with one song until I'm finished smile.gif

I thinks it's important as well to not concentrate for too long on one song, because if you take a break from it and do something else you get a new perspective and it might shed a new light on different elements in the song..

You are also more likely to hear/find faults in it if you take a break from it and then come back...at least I am smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Mar 21 2008, 11:10 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 21 2008, 11:10 AM
Instructor
Jakup has a very good point here,always record your ideas!!

With deeper listening latter on you'll realize that you can make few tunes
from something that supposed to be single song.
And opposite,mix few of them to create one cool piece. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Mar 21 2008, 11:13 AM
I'm always working on about four to five songs at the same time smile.gif. That way, if I happen to get stuck on one song I can always work on one of the others for awhile and then a new idea usually pops up that I can use for the first one. Like Jakub said, I think it's really important to either record or tab down everything you come up with that you think is even remotely cool.

Maybe you'll never use it but for me it's saved me more than once when I have been out of ideas. Since I've been collecting my riffs for quite some time I have had several situations where I have gone into the archive and found something that would fit in one of the songs I'm currently working on with some minor modifications.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 21 2008, 11:33 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Also.. if you are stuck with solo, same as me... I need something to finish my A minor pentatonic solo.... What the hell should I put there... it is two bars at the end of solo and it wants something fast.... grrr.. some quick descending run..

What have I done? Gmc/Video Lessons/ Ivan's Pentatonic slides lesson, 4th lick.. and solo is done biggrin.gif (well. problem is to play it at 120 bmp.. but I wont go without fight smile.gif )

Btw. 90% of the solo is made from licks, I made up sometime.. and though, they should go to waste.. BUT I tabbed/recorded them and now.. I transcribed them (I mostly compose in E minor.. i like its sound:) ) to A minor, improved them to my current skills (some of them were created, when I played guitar SECOND MONTH.. and now I found a way to speed them, add some techniques and use them:) Although I thought they suck..)

You know.. muses fly everywhere around us.. and sometime comes and kisses us.. the thing is not to remember, what they told and believe, they'll come again smile.gif

Btw. what about creating WIKI INSPIRATION THREAD? We can brainstorm on our composing process and write somewhere ways how we all do it smile.gif Everyone has its own style. . but noone can find it competely:) You just can get closer.. and thread like this, FULL if ideas should be killer imo:)

For example, we could put there unusual chord progressions, riff lick fills (licks to fluid up chording..) our favourite chord voicings, rythm patterns...

What you guys think?smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Mar 21 2008, 11:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 21 2008, 11:37 AM
I also think that it should be a self-evidence(I think thats it in english) to make tabs and notes and possibly recordings of your ideas. It has happened to me a lot that when I have ideas for different songs, they turn out to be parts of the same song, thats a good point from Muris. smile.gif

I said earlier I don't work on song usually over a month, But I have 3 songs, that all of them I started over 6 months ago for a couple of months atleast once a week I tried to continue them, but I never ever got the same feel that I had when I started them, not a single note could I add to them, even when I tried. Thats why I'm still scared of losing that feeling of the song.

One thing more about writing down all of your ideas, You can really see how you have developed as a composer, in the long run, especially in the start of your composing career it might be a good motivation booster, atleast it was for me, to see How much better my composings are now compared to the earlier ones.

--------------------
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 21 2008, 11:50 AM
Instructor
Always try to write as many songs as you can. Of course, this does not mean that you can work on them in the same time. Just record basic ideas and work on them from time to time. For example take one song one day, if you see it doesn't work take another - it is better to have a choice. Bursts of creativity involving many songs can be great, but be aware it is only a starting point. There is a lot of work and time involved in making one great song, so you have o work your a55 off to make 5 songs. Many song ideas, can lead to good songs if you put your mind to it. So as much work and dedication you put into developing those songs, you will then make 5 good songs to choose from. My advice is, if you try with one song numerous times, and see it doesn't work, leave it for a week or maybe two, maybe you'll get ideas for it later. Choose those songs that are going the smoothest and work on those as much as you can.

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Mar 21 2008, 11:52 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 21 2008, 12:07 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 21 2008, 12:50 PM) *
Always try to write as many songs as you can. Of course, this does not mean that you can work on them in the same time. Just record basic ideas and work on them from time to time. For example take one song one day, if you see it doesn't work take another - it is better to have a choice. Bursts of creativity involving many songs can be great, but be aware it is only a starting point. There is a lot of work and time involved in making one great song, so you have o work your a55 off to make 5 songs. Many song ideas, can lead to good songs if you put your mind to it. So as much work and dedication you put into developing those songs, you will then make 5 good songs to choose from. My advice is, if you try with one song numerous times, and see it doesn't work, leave it for a week or maybe two, maybe you'll get ideas for it later. Choose those songs that are going the smoothest and work on those as much as you can.

Theres some damn good points there, a seemingly good Idea doesn't always mean a great song and You usually have to work your a55 off for it to be actually great.

--------------------
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 21 2008, 03:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I prefer one song at a time..But of course everybody should record/write down all their ideas...After some time you will just get back to one of good ones and try to work it to a song..You really need to sit down and work a lot to make a good song..Take as much time as you can but when you are doing it try to concentrate on max and if its not working leave it to cool a little..I can see a little distracting to work on more than one song at a time , for example ok I did verse here , lets go for the chorus of the second one way...But if you can , why not! wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 21 2008, 06:13 PM
Instructor
I prefer working on many songs at once.. Sometimes when i'm working on a song i get ideas that will fit on other songs. That way i dont waste any good ideas smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:17 PM