Beginners Phrasing Help, Another Rough Guide :)
Chris Evans
Mar 12 2008, 01:14 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Well, sorry its taken a bit longer than expected, mainly due to time constraints and camera troubles, I ended up having to go back with a webcam, something I`m going to sort out very soon with some new equipment I think dry.gif

Anyways, heres the brief ...

Leading on from your improvisations you need to add some colour and other elements to make your solo`s sound cool, you can do this to begin with by using some simple techniques. All these techniques (and as you grow as a guitarist you will add more) will give your solo`s some nice "phrasing" and thats what I`m hoping to intoduce you to with this small lesson.

So whats "phrasing", think of phrasing as in the way we speak, when we talk our voice`s vary in pitch and we emphasis words in different ways using our voice, we can say one word or a sentence in different way depending on what type of emotion or message we are trying to get accross to somebody else, you can do this with the guitar also, by attacking a note, giving notes a different rhythm etc we can make them sound very different.

Heres the main spoken video, hopefully explaining this to you a little better.

Attached File  Phrasing_Introduction_Vid.wmv ( 8.99MB ) Number of downloads: 1019

On top of this I thought about things that I missed when I was first starting out and learning some of these things, the almighty GMC (nor the internet for that matter laugh.gif) was not around back then so I learned a lot of these things from listening and learning solos and songs of my favourite groups at that time.

one thing I would have liked was some simple solo`s to play and mess around with, so I decided to make a little exercise lesson, hopefully fairly simple, but there is a degree of difficulty in it, I believe that everything needs an element of difficulty to make it interesting.

As described in the main vid theres three main techniques for you to pick up on in this, Alternate Picking, Vibrato & Bending.

I hope this has been of some help to you, your welcome to ask me anything if you wish, and again, if you like this video approach then let me know and I`ll do some more, maybe one giving you some "licks" to practice would be good?

All the best
Chris

Heres the video with the full solo, if you keep the vid window smaller then actually the quality isnt too bad wink.gif

Attached File  MainVidPhrase.wmv ( 2.21MB ) Number of downloads: 489

Key is in D changing to E half way through and then switching back to D, to keep things simple I`m only using eight notes from each major scale, I added in a key change to get you used to switching to different keys in songs.

Ths is part of the D major scale I`m using

Attached Image

and part of the E major scale

Attached Image

and now the breakdown of the video with tabs.

Part 1 Attached File  Phrase_Part_1.wmv ( 760.15K ) Number of downloads: 432

E|-------------------------------------------------
B|--7--8--10--10b12--10--8--7--8--10----7-8
G|-----------------------------------------7------
D|------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------

Part 2 Attached File  Phrase_Part2.wmv ( 839.08K ) Number of downloads: 295

E|------------------------------------
B|--7--8--10--10b12--10--8--7--8--10---7--7b8-
G|------------------------------------------7-------
D|--------------------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------

Part 3 Attached File  Phrase_Part_3.wmv ( 821.52K ) Number of downloads: 322

E|---------------11b12--11--9---------------------
B|--9--10--12-------------------11--9--10--9b10-
G|---------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------

Part 4 Attached File  Phrase_Part_4.wmv ( 966.3K ) Number of downloads: 315

E|--12--11--9-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------12--10--9--10--12--10--9--------------9--10--12----9--10--9---------------
G|--------------------------------------------11--9--11--------------9------------9-11-11b13-
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 5 Attached File  Phrase_Part_5.wmv ( 1.18MB ) Number of downloads: 609

E|-------------10--9--7--------------------------------------------------------
B|--7--8--10-----------10--8--7--8--10--8--7------------7--8--10----7--8-
G|-------------------------------------------------9--7--9-------------7-------
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|--------------------------------
B|--10--8--7-----------7--8----
G|-------------9--7--9-------7-
D|-------------------------------
A|-------------------------------
E|-------------------------------

Backing tracks

120BPM Attached File  Beginners_phrasing_backing.mp3 ( 757.96K ) Number of downloads: 370

100BPM Attached File  Phrasing_slower_backing_100_BPM.mp3 ( 1.03MB ) Number of downloads: 332

80BPM Attached File  Phrasing_slower_backing_80_BPM.mp3 ( 1.06MB ) Number of downloads: 317

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Mar 13 2008, 09:12 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:09 AM