Extremly Cheap And Very Functional Multitrack Recording Software, Reaper
Andrew Cockburn
May 29 2007, 06:59 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I just read a review of this package called "Reaper". It is a very fully featured multitrack recording environment, it supports unlimilted audio tracks, unbelievably flexible mixing and routing, Midi, VST/DX (essential for effects and virtual instruments) and a load of other stuff. Its early days yet, but it already has I would say 70% of the functionality of the likes of Cubase, Logic and other high end packages, and in some areas far outstrips them.

Best of all, you can download an unlimited non-expiring demo, and licencing is only $40 for non commercial use.

For all of you that are thinking of exploring the exciting world of multitrack recording, backing tracks etc, this package is an absolute steal. Even though I have Cubase I am thinking of switching to it as it is extremely lightweight and fast, doesn't have annnoying dongles, works with all my existing effects and instruments, has extremely frequent updates with new features and an active user community. Its also way ahead of free offerings such as Audacity (although to be fair it is a different thing).

Though this was worth a post as I know a lot of you are interested in recording on a budget. I've played with it for an hour or so, and from what I already know I would recomend this over Cubase LE.

Website is here : http://reaper.fm/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ezravdb
May 29 2007, 07:58 PM
GMC:er
COOl!
Im tryin it out now!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Scoob
May 30 2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the excellent tip,

I am installing as I type.

I hope all my VST files will import. I have been collecting for a while and can't get enough effects and such.

Thanks again

--------------------
GEAR
guitars: Yamaha SE 350, Yamaha FG-360, Jay Turser JT134 Natural Quilt Top, Dean Vendetta, Squire Telecaster (Project to modify to better guitar. New Pickups and electrical parts done).
amp: Peavey Rage 108
amp Marshall ATV20X - Just bought Mar. 2007
effects: KORG AX3G (Multi), EBOW, Danelectro Free Speech Talkbox. Old Flanger and Chorus
Interface: IK Multimedia STEALTH PLUG

+Quote Post
moles
May 31 2007, 12:39 AM
im giving this a shot =]

i got adobe audition wink.gif aswell. been using that to record my stuff lately but ill give this a whirl

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 31 2007, 02:29 AM
QUOTE (Scoob @ May 29 2007, 07:34 PM) *
Thanks for the excellent tip,

I am installing as I type.

I hope all my VST files will import. I have been collecting for a while and can't get enough effects and such.

Thanks again

I have tried quite a few VSTs so far and they all worked, so it is looking good in that department ...

QUOTE (moles @ May 30 2007, 07:39 PM) *
im giving this a shot =]
i got adobe audition wink.gif aswell. been using that to record my stuff lately but ill give this a whirl

Yeah, this will take you a lot further as it is a true multitrack recorder.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Jun 1 2007, 06:29 AM
Well, I downloaded reaper about 3 days ago and have been playing around with it. Today my band put it to the test, and we had some weird problems.

We layed down an original we were doing, recording the guitar first through the PodXT Live. We mic'd the drumset second. For whatever reason (we couldn't figure it out after 15 minutes or so and gave up) whenever we played back the guitar and drums, they were out of sync. the drum track would be 1 second behind or so, although when our drummer was monitoring he was playing dead on.

Weird....anyone have a possible explanation?

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 1 2007, 01:22 PM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Jun 1 2007, 01:29 AM) *
Well, I downloaded reaper about 3 days ago and have been playing around with it. Today my band put it to the test, and we had some weird problems.

We layed down an original we were doing, recording the guitar first through the PodXT Live. We mic'd the drumset second. For whatever reason (we couldn't figure it out after 15 minutes or so and gave up) whenever we played back the guitar and drums, they were out of sync. the drum track would be 1 second behind or so, although when our drummer was monitoring he was playing dead on.

Weird....anyone have a possible explanation?

SOunds like a latency compensation issue - were you using the Pod to record the drums as well or something else?

Also, importantly, were you using the pods ASIO driver?

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Jun 1 2007, 05:30 PM
Yep used the Pod for both. I believe I downloaded the Asio driver. If I did, it should automatically be applied when I set th Pod as my recording device right?

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 1 2007, 06:27 PM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Jun 1 2007, 12:30 PM) *
Yep used the Pod for both. I believe I downloaded the Asio driver. If I did, it should automatically be applied when I set th Pod as my recording device right?

No, not necessarily, you have to make sure you select the ASIO driver explicitly in reaper, it defaults to the crappy windows one. Go to Audio Device preferences and set the Audio system to ASIO, then select your pod underneath as the device to use.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Jul 21 2007, 05:09 PM
I would like to second the recommendation for Reaper. I had been using Krystal ( which is also fantastic for a simple multitracker, imo ) for a while because I had problems with earlier versions of Reaper like Stratman58 was describing. It was actually almost like it was trying to auto-quanitize to some ticks I couldn't see, and once a file got into that mode, I couldn't get it out and fix it.

About a month or two ago I saw that they had updated and decided to give it another go and haven't had any issues with the new version. In addition it supports more of the VST plugins and has more room for expansion ( essentially unlimited for the fx chains ). It's been my new best friend since.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 21 2007, 07:09 PM
Ive been just using a Korg Analog 4 track system and recording into my dell with audacity...do you need a mixer or in lamons terms, something between my guitar and the computer so I can just hit record and play.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 21 2007, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jul 21 2007, 02:09 PM) *
Ive been just using a Korg Analog 4 track system and recording into my dell with audacity...do you need a mixer or in lamons terms, something between my guitar and the computer so I can just hit record and play.

It will work with any soundcard ... although if you are serious you sohould look at a higher end card designed for recoring, they start at arounf $100.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:44 PM