2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pod X3 Or Not.
Giacinto
Nov 29 2008, 01:59 PM
GMC:er
hey guys,
i wanted to buy a good effect device. i read a lot about the pod and it seems to be a good choice ( im also interested in recording with the USB 2.0 feature) - but i read the sounds depends very much on the amp you got.
i got a marshall amp AVT50x (the same ivan reviewed), so does anyone knows if the pod works fine with it?
i read it is also possible to play through monitor speakers but i cant image this will work good because my speakers are just around 80€.

what would be the alternative to the POD? do i really pay for sound qualitiy or are there too much gadgets implemented that i do not need anyway? dry.gif

- cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 29 2008, 02:28 PM
Instructor
I have pod X3 live and I'll share with you my opinion and experiences. I use it for recording my lessons and also other instructors lessons that record in my studio. It's sound for recording is awesome and it has a lot of different sounds and good quality effects. The amp simulators sound very real and you can hear the escence of every amp. The possibility of setting two different tone in one patch gives you a lot of tools to find your favourite sound.
Nowadays I just use pod when I'm practicing at home conected to my monitors.

I used sometimes my pod in my Marshall 8080 amp and I couldn't make the distortions sound good. The effects sound ok but the distortions sounds a bit "screamer", "sharp", no "warmer", do you understand what I mean?
I know that there are some amps that are designed especially for pod and that make it sounds great.

I also use the pod as a multieffect (with many other pedals) when I play live with my band because its delays, chorus, flanger, comps are sound very good.

So my opinion is that POD x3 is an awesome tool for recording and making demos and a great multieffect to use it with an amp. I've never used it live by line directly to the P.A. (Console) but I know of some guitarists that do it and are happy with it.

Another alternative (I think that cheaper and also good) could be pandora (ask Muris about it).

Gabriel.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Nov 29 2008, 03:04 PM
hey gabriel, thanks for your detailed answer.
just by the way does anyone knows a site where u can learn how to use the pod.
when i checked it in store i was practicallly overwhelmed by its possibilities but i absolutely failed how to set it up.
the interface looked rather complicated - ( because i dont know all the meanings of the buttons sleep.gif )

my second question would be what i need to connect it to the PC ? just a decent sound card i guess ?
and is it possible to download any tones of other users directly to your pc and feed them into your pod?
and what is the best software for the pod?

thanks for your answers so far-
i will browse a bit throughout the forum guess i can find there some answers as well!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 29 2008, 03:20 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
If you want to connect it to your pc by usb you don't even need a soundcard, in this case the Pod will work as the soundprocessor. About the Pod in general, I pretty much agree with Gabriel, it is a very cool tool for recording at home. I used 3 different ones myself over the years, the original one, Version 2.0 and the Pod XT, and I never had problems with them. By now I switched to Guitar Rig 3, in my opinion this software just offers the best sounds, but this is a matter of personal taste of course. Pandora would be an option too, as gabrial Mentioned Muris is the expert for that one wink.gif
About playing live with a Pod, I only tried this once, connecting it straight to the PA and also to my Mesa Boogie 2:90 Poweramp, but I didn't really like the result that much, the clean sounds are fine, but Highgain sounds lack something. But again, this is a matter of taste of course, and my taste might just be too spoiled by my Rectifiers wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Nov 29 2008, 03:27 PM
hmmm sounds like the pod isnt the best solution if used with an amp .
i also heard about guitar rig 3 its this one right -> http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Native...-PCM0007127-000 ?
its a bit more expensive than the pod but where is the major difference.
looks for me the same but u also get a pedal with it? can it also be used via an amp?
didnt rly know about it i just saw some advertisment in the internet..

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 29 2008, 05:03 PM
Instructor
Gab and Marcus are right, POD is a great recording tool, very practical, and it can be used for multiFX unit with the amp as well (just put it in the loop of the AVT50). But don't use amp modellers on your amp, this will only make things worse and smear the sound.

If you wanna use amp modelling from POD when playing, I also agree with Gab and Marcus here, and recommend the use of monitors, keyboard amps, or PA system if you wanna play loud with POD. The more quality your system is, the better the sound will be from POD.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Nov 29 2008, 06:25 PM
but arent thos amp modellers those things that make the pod special. so in order to rly. enjoy the pod or also the guitar rig thing - u need to plug it into your pc ? and you need to own decent boxes?

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 29 2008, 07:43 PM
QUOTE (Giacinto @ Nov 29 2008, 01:59 PM) *
hey guys,
i wanted to buy a good effect device. i read a lot about the pod and it seems to be a good choice ( im also interested in recording with the USB 2.0 feature) - but i read the sounds depends very much on the amp you got.
i got a marshall amp AVT50x (the same ivan reviewed), so does anyone knows if the pod works fine with it?
i read it is also possible to play through monitor speakers but i cant image this will work good because my speakers are just around 80€.

what would be the alternative to the POD? do i really pay for sound qualitiy or are there too much gadgets implemented that i do not need anyway? dry.gif

- cheers

Headphones if the deal when you're jamming at comp.

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Nov 29 2008, 08:03 PM
i guess headphones are not better than good boxes.. how much would good boxes cost? if they are 2 expensives i would definitely buy the pod because and play into an amp..
man why are all those products so expensive -.-

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 29 2008, 08:24 PM
QUOTE (Giacinto @ Nov 29 2008, 08:03 PM) *
i guess headphones are not better than good boxes.. how much would good boxes cost? if they are 2 expensives i would definitely buy the pod because and play into an amp..
man why are all those products so expensive -.-

Buy pod and headphones.

When you already have a marshall tube amp, it's pretty much a waste to start spending more money on another set of speakers.

Most of the pros I've seen use headphones for studio use.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Nov 29 2008, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Nov 29 2008, 08:49 PM
hmmm guitar rig can keep up with the pod if i use headphones?
argh guess i'll go for the pod - hope it will sound good with my amp ( besides its no tube amp- ).

This post has been edited by Giacinto: Nov 29 2008, 08:49 PM

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 29 2008, 09:00 PM
hope it for ya, ill have a pod soon too hopefully,biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
besip
Nov 30 2008, 04:47 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 29 2008, 12:03 PM) *
Gab and Marcus are right, POD is a great recording tool, very practical, and it can be used for multiFX unit with the amp as well (just put it in the loop of the AVT50). But don't use amp modellers on your amp, this will only make things worse and smear the sound.

If you wanna use amp modelling from POD when playing, I also agree with Gab and Marcus here, and recommend the use of monitors, keyboard amps, or PA system if you wanna play loud with POD. The more quality your system is, the better the sound will be from POD.

so it's strong recomedations to provide good sound to play over Monitor speakers?????
i'm asking becouse i'm aslo like podx3 and maybe wana buy it...i'm not guy who can set good sound on my amp so probaly when i'm be try to get good sound when i'm be using podx3 over my Vox xt don't be good ID...becouse also amp has own volume tone balence knobs and find the right sound can't be easy smile.gif

actualy somebody also recomedet to me to buy active speakers{on case i'm buy pod} it's there so big adavntage and disadvatage betwen active and pasive speakers??

This post has been edited by besip: Nov 30 2008, 04:48 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
Nov 30 2008, 08:34 AM
What about Korg Pandora PX5D? I love this little thing... smile.gif

--------------------

xosepineda

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Nov 30 2008, 08:57 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have the g9.2tt which I definitely like and even prefer over the X3 in terms of 'live' usage. The 2 pre-amp tubes in the device really add something to the sound, although the X3 may have some more options, the g9.2tt gives me the better results (and yes I know it is zoom, and that they may break down soon, however mine is being as new after quite a while of misuse and no problems at all smile.gif.

For recording purposes, I would definitely not recommend the g9.2tt, it has a USB interface, which works flawlessly, but the cabinet models and mic positions to choose from are very limited, and the results are only moderately ok (I have now found a work-around to get the sounds I like, but it's definitely not handy). Therefore, I am definitely getting a Pod Studio UX2 for recording.

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Nov 30 2008, 01:43 PM
ähm just another question.
what are the common programms to work with the pod? are there other "preprogrammed" settings to chose from?

+Quote Post
bamba23
Nov 30 2008, 02:01 PM
are you talking about the LIVE or the X3 normal.
cus im intresting of buying the normal one...(also)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2008, 04:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Giacinto @ Nov 29 2008, 08:49 PM) *
hmmm guitar rig can keep up with the pod if i use headphones?
argh guess i'll go for the pod - hope it will sound good with my amp ( besides its no tube amp- ).

Now I'm really confused mate smile.gif If you tell me exactly want you wanna do, I will try to advise you best as I can.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Nov 30 2008, 06:25 PM
hey ivan, im just saying that i read a lot of people use their pod with PC speakers and not with their real amp because the pod sounds not as good as with boxes for the pc (dont know which pc boxes u need there either) .
so my problem is just that i fear that the pod will not sound good because i will play it through my marshall...

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Nov 30 2008, 06:54 PM
but that was already discussed above. guess u have to take what u get biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:00 PM