How Did You Get Your First Show
Enucleation
Mar 28 2008, 05:01 AM
GMC:er
If this is in the wrong place, sorry.

So how did you and your band get it's first show? Reason I ask is, well, my band has been together a while over a year and we have still never played a real show -.- I live in such a crappy area that even if I found some people who listened to metal there would only be about 4 of em. And even aside from that...I guess I just have this huge fear of being booed off, which I guess probably happens to anyone, and I'll never get anywhere without trying.... but alas, I've no idea where to start to improve that flaw or even get a show booked.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 28 2008, 05:05 AM
Learning Roadie
I haven't giged yet myself but one of my really good friends who is a drummer in a band got his first shows by putting some of their stuff on myspace, and they got contacted by people looking for bands.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 28 2008, 10:02 AM
Singing Instructor
well my psychology teacher was very cool...and she sad that she have somo friend and that he is an owner of a club in the center of the city....so we arranged the conditions,people came...smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 28 2008, 11:19 AM
Instructor
well, it was at the school, when I had 14 years (I was playing for 9 months). I play in the auditorium of my school with all the students (all together)... it was horrible, belive me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 28 2008, 11:29 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I played my first show in some high school's party wink.gif Went previously on audition for that....It wasn't something but cool experience smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Mar 28 2008, 10:09 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 28 2008, 11:35 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
First gig was through the school youth club at a charity event that was being held, we used to practice at the youth club so they asked us if we wanted to play.

In a later band that was more serious, we sent demo tapes to various clubs & pubs, most of them have mid week slots for "new" bands so we started that way smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Mar 28 2008, 12:18 PM
Research all the venues in your area that put on unsigned bands (small venues and venue/bar/pub kind of places).
Then give them a call, tell them what style you are and ask them if they need a slot filled at some time.
Small venues need bands to play so in most cases it won't be too hard to get a support slot.

Get a myspace site first so you can give them a link if they ask.

Best of luck!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 28 2008, 01:09 PM
Instructor
I've played in a small club on south of my country my first gig. It was very memorable. I had blood all over the guitar's pickguard because of the scratching. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 28 2008, 02:21 PM
i played a bunch of highschool shows with kids from around the school we had shows like
Battle of the Bands
Caberet's
Final Assemblies
Christmas Assemblies
Lunch time rock shows

so i just grabbed a couple of guys and put together songs to audition and alas we made it a few times..
When you actually have a band i find the best way to get shows is.. record a demo( or a couple) get on myspace and advertise yourselves like crazy.. Add bands from your area of similar styles and then ask them if they wanna play a show. Or organize your own show.. you can rent out places like community centres for a few hundred bucks usually.. put forward the money.. call up a couple of bands.. have your band and other bands sell tickets for about 5 bucks each.. you get 100 kids out and you've payed for the show.. you might even make a profit. + people hear about your band.. if they don't like you.. it means more practice and writing time.. but some will like you.. and at least youve got your name out there.. me and my friends are doing something like this in a bit.. putting together our own Battle of the Bands.. we have about 6 bands lined up + my buddies band is gunna play midway through the setlist.. tickets are 5 bucks each and we've sold about 200 smile.gif payed for the community centre ( 600 ) and now we have 400 left for prizes smile.gif we might make it an annual thing smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
niklas39
Mar 28 2008, 02:39 PM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Mar 28 2008, 05:01 AM) *
If this is in the wrong place, sorry.

So how did you and your band get it's first show? Reason I ask is, well, my band has been together a while over a year and we have still never played a real show -.- I live in such a crappy area that even if I found some people who listened to metal there would only be about 4 of em. And even aside from that...I guess I just have this huge fear of being booed off, which I guess probably happens to anyone, and I'll never get anywhere without trying.... but alas, I've no idea where to start to improve that flaw or even get a show booked.

my band "frihet" got our first one going by ourselfes we invited like 30 people to our place and we and
3 more bands played it was terrific! untill the cop came... he he tongue.gif and after that gig peoople started to
ask our myspace if we could play here and there... we have no problem to get gigs. a hot tip is to ask around places
who have concerts all the time if your band can be a worm up band on a gig and you gladly do it free it always works! wink.gif

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 28 2008, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Mar 28 2008, 11:29 AM) *
I played my first show in some high school party wink.gif Went previously on audition for that....It wasn't something but cool experience smile.gif

Did you play a guitar or a bass?

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 28 2008, 10:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I played bass then wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 28 2008, 10:10 PM
Instructor
The local youth-community center here had a great program for young bands. They supplied rehersal rooms with lots of equipment and arranged gigs around the city and also paid for demo-recordings in a local studio.

Thats how i got my first gig.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Mar 28 2008, 10:22 PM
Instructor
first show for me it was in schools

+Quote Post
Tsarpf
Mar 28 2008, 10:30 PM
I played at my schools auditorium, some sort of school ending thingy, as that was the last year in that school for me & my buddies... but umm... this propably doesn't help you much. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 28 2008, 10:32 PM
We did alot of local talent competitions. Maybe you got some near you. Also try to find bars etc. that hire bands.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:16 AM