Modern Metal Industry, by Annihilator's JEFF WATERS!!
Slavenko Erazer
Feb 28 2013, 02:39 PM
GMC:er
Since there was a lot of talk about modern music and selling cd's blah, blah.. i would share this video by one of the most underrated guitarist in metal

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2013, 03:30 PM
I just posted a vid in my forum thread on promotion and not "selling" til you have an actual fan base. Creating the core fan base is really tough. Part of what he's on about here is that very topic. That new bands without a fan base get hosed by the labels.

I have to agree with him that I think it's good that folks are playing Solos again and actually practicing smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Feb 28 2013, 08:39 AM) *
Since there was a lot of talk about modern music and selling cd's blah, blah.. i would share this video by one of the most underrated guitarist in metal

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Feb 28 2013, 07:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Love his statement on soloing.

While I cannot be a hypocrite, I must admit that a lot of the bands that I've listened to recently don't solo much or have no solo capability but it's great it is coming back.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 1 2013, 10:04 AM
Instructor
I like good solos for sure but, there are some styles of music and songs that just don't need one smile.gif

I mean, I am totally against the idea of playing a solo if it's not needed in a certain context just for playing a solo - wouldn't you agree?

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Mar 1 2013, 10:08 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 1 2013, 10:04 AM) *
I like good solos for sure but, there are some styles of music and songs that just don't need one smile.gif

I mean, I am totally against the idea of playing a solo if it's not needed in a certain context just for playing a solo - wouldn't you agree?

I don't know , when u listen to rock song without solo, there's obviously something missing...it's just like cherry on top of the cake . rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 1 2013, 10:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Mar 1 2013, 09:08 AM) *
I don't know , when u listen to rock song without solo, there's obviously something missing...it's just like cherry on top of the cake . rolleyes.gif

What if THAT cake doesn't fit well with cherries? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 1 2013, 01:54 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 1 2013, 03:04 AM) *

I can respect that statement. I don't like solos that are forced.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2013, 08:42 PM
I'd agree there smile.gif If a song doesn't need a solo don't add one, right? That said, when I hear a song and don't hear a solo, I can't help thinking something was missing. But that's just me. Some folks probably hear the same tune and think it was perfect. smile.gif
I'd be happy in many cases if the vocalist just stopped singing and the guitars took over. I suspect I'm biased though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 2 2013, 02:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 1 2013, 07:42 PM) *
I'd agree there smile.gif If a song doesn't need a solo don't add one, right? That said, when I hear a song and don't hear a solo, I can't help thinking something was missing. But that's just me. Some folks probably hear the same tune and think it was perfect. smile.gif
I'd be happy in many cases if the vocalist just stopped singing and the guitars took over. I suspect I'm biased though. smile.gif

I was just like that until a some years ago, until I started liking to more instruments than just the guitar (I was more than obsessed laugh.gif ) somehow I am more inclined to what you can create in terms of a structure and orchestration rather than playing a solo sometimes.

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Mar 2 2013, 09:06 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 2 2013, 02:59 PM) *
I was just like that until a some years ago, until I started liking to more instruments than just the guitar (I was more than obsessed laugh.gif ) somehow I am more inclined to what you can create in terms of a structure and orchestration rather than playing a solo sometimes.

Yeah, but u can't play solo on another instrument (except guitar), right? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 2 2013, 10:46 PM
Well, you could play a solo on just about anything I"m guessing smile.gif I"ve done solos using all kinds of stringed instruments and even using keyboards believe it or not smile.gif
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Mar 2 2013, 03:06 PM) *
Yeah, but u can't play solo on another instrument (except guitar), right? tongue.gif

I'm with ya on that smile.gif I dig other instruments taking a solo in addition to guitar. Even an Orchestra solo! smile.gif Banjo Solo, Flute Solo, really any kind of Solo. Some great solos are actually Duets strictly speaking, using two instruments instead of one for harmony. They get really interesting when using two separate instruments to create a harmony/melody line.

For pop songs, they can get by without a solo and most of them do just fine. But for heavy stuff, especially guitar oriented stuff, I am sorta waiting for the solo for most of a given tune. If they never get there, i can't help feeling they stopped short.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 2 2013, 08:59 AM) *

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 3 2013, 10:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 2 2013, 09:46 PM) *
Well, you could play a solo on just about anything I"m guessing smile.gif I"ve done solos using all kinds of stringed instruments and even using keyboards believe it or not smile.gif

I'm with ya on that smile.gif I dig other instruments taking a solo in addition to guitar. Even an Orchestra solo! smile.gif Banjo Solo, Flute Solo, really any kind of Solo. Some great solos are actually Duets strictly speaking, using two instruments instead of one for harmony. They get really interesting when using two separate instruments to create a harmony/melody line.

For pop songs, they can get by without a solo and most of them do just fine. But for heavy stuff, especially guitar oriented stuff, I am sorta waiting for the solo for most of a given tune. If they never get there, i can't help feeling they stopped short.

True words Todd! Now, I have listened to a lot of material that doesn't feature any solos, but the cornucopia of rhythmic formulas and dynamics in the song makes up for the lack of soloing and judging by the complexity of the riffs, I am certain that the dudes in those bands can solo without any trouble - of course not the Guthrie type of solo biggrin.gif but just solo - ah, darn, you know what I mean laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:15 PM