> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Blues Comping, Lesson By Chris Harrington
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Timmez
Jun 27 2016, 08:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Blues Comping by Chris Harrington

He guys, Here my take of this great blues lesson. Greetz Tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Darius Wave
Jun 28 2016, 03:47 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

I like the direction you've chosen. Working out your dynamics sensivity is one of absolutely most important skills you can get.
There is one thing that needs a parallel workout once you decide to extend your playing dynamics. It's the way you adjust your tone for a best dynamics response. As you can hear in original lesson, the tone is muhc brighter but not sharp enough to hurt our ears. It the magical balance between gain and treble level to find the sweet spot that will make your softly played notes sound warm but not muddy and your hard strokes to sound sharp and sparkling. It's a little harder to make it on the humbucker pickup but it's possible. Of course you can try to use a split mode of your neck humbucker. The target is to find the tone that 100% translets what your fingers "talk". Your current tone is a good direction but I would definitely give it more treble.

As for my playing field advice. The trick in blues playing is to play some of those staccato runs the way, that notes between accent are being played so soft, that they almost get the kind of legato tone. In your take they sound too square, sharp and a little lack of precision breaks through. We've been through this a lot of times. It's very hard to precisely translate how to get that blues vibe, but there are some guiding tips to get closer and closer. I would start from a tone research and increasing contrast between accents and "fills".

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 28 2016, 06:14 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

This lesson is a great choice and I can see how you could get even more from this lesson by working on each part deeply. There are 3 elements that make the original lesson pure treasure: tone, dynamics and articulation.

Your playing is not bad but I would dedicate some more time to each element at a time, working on very small blocks. For example, listen to the first lick played by you, then listen to the first lick from the lesson, focus on dynamics. Are you close? yes? no? in the case of not being close, what's the reason? Is it the tone? is your playing?

Dedicate some time during the next days to this analysis and your playing will keep on improving. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 9 2016, 10:21 AM
Instructor
Hi Tim, I like this lesson. It's a good one to help give you ideas for phrasing and to work on tone.

When performing the double stops, notice that Chris plays some of them with no pause in between. So, the 1st chord slide should be played with no break in the sound. Then the 2nd and 3rd ones have a pause. Try practising the first double stop with no pause. Slide into position and keep it there until it's time to play the next shape.

With the soloing, that's more complex and we can't expect a dramatic shift in this area in a small space of time - this includes all the important elements like bending, vibrato, timing... so all those aspects are things that you're always working on anyway. One of the hardest things to get right with the blues is timing so I would emphasise trying to copy Chris's timing as closely as you can.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 9 2016, 12:34 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:06 PM