Complete Wiring Change!
Mertay
Feb 13 2015, 10:22 AM
GMC:er
Some might know I mod. my guitar and pickups time to time. Yesterday was the most critical; the switch, wiring, all wires and the jack input was renewed. Its like renewing the heart and all the veins of a person biggrin.gif

It all started as I decided the switch finally has to change, its a 18 year old guitar. My luthier didn't have ibanez switches but told me there are loads of options with what you can do with easy to find Fender switches. I said ok and started digging the web, also asked friends and members here for help when needed (Thanks again!).

After a looooong search and thought, I decided on this one (sorry only can give link to dynamic page photos);

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachm...mp;d=1405057232

The original is actually this; http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/..._1v_1t_tspp.pdf

So its mentioned that diagram was released for the P-rails but also works for humbuckers. So without drilling any holes (my guitar doesn't have a pickguard) I realized this gives the most options even though its a 3 way switch!

As I took the guitar to the luthier, he said since all the wiring will change its the best time to renew the cables too. I hesitated for a second but then agreed with him, the jack input also wasn't tight so we changed that too. Figured since it wasn't very expensive why not...

Here is when the job was progressing;

https://www.facebook.com/CenkerMuzik/photos...3399011/?type=1

And here finished;

https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-x...amp;oe=55504D29

Neat right? I can solder cables easy but soldering those tiny wires in a limited space is beyond me, specially if I want things nice smile.gif

What struck us most when we first played the guitar, the output was increased without increasing the noise floor! ohmy.gif

I knew after all those years it wasn't as efficient but the result blow our minds (and my luthier does these stuff every day!). Not only level but tonally it opened up too (cause of Fender parts?) , the guitar simply became easier to play smile.gif My guitar is old but if I knew it would make a difference I'd renew the wires every 10 years. Consider this if you have an aged guitar.

Unfortunately after returning home I got sick cause of the bad weather and had to wait outside too long as the subway train needed fixing tongue.gif

I did test it though and liking it smile.gif my quick comment would be if you have a 2 humbucker 1 vol. and 1 tone guitar and only record, this works very nice! but for stage to be honest I'm not sure...pulling/pushing pots in the middle of songs to me isn't preferable.

PS; forgot to mention, I use a .001uF capasitor on the volume knob (adjusted like treble bleed). Its a common telecaster mod. as when volume is decreased so does the bass freq.s. With this and the splits the sounds I'm getting is pretty cool, of course nothing strat alike but pretty close smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Jim S.
Feb 18 2015, 07:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 13 2015, 04:22 AM) *
Some might know I mod. my guitar and pickups time to time. Yesterday was the most critical; the switch, wiring, all wires and the jack input was renewed. Its like renewing the heart and all the veins of a person biggrin.gif

It all started as I decided the switch finally has to change, its a 18 year old guitar. My luthier didn't have ibanez switches but told me there are loads of options with what you can do with easy to find Fender switches. I said ok and started digging the web, also asked friends and members here for help when needed (Thanks again!).

After a looooong search and thought, I decided on this one (sorry only can give link to dynamic page photos);

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachm...mp;d=1405057232

The original is actually this; http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/..._1v_1t_tspp.pdf

So its mentioned that diagram was released for the P-rails but also works for humbuckers. So without drilling any holes (my guitar doesn't have a pickguard) I realized this gives the most options even though its a 3 way switch!

As I took the guitar to the luthier, he said since all the wiring will change its the best time to renew the cables too. I hesitated for a second but then agreed with him, the jack input also wasn't tight so we changed that too. Figured since it wasn't very expensive why not...

Here is when the job was progressing;

https://www.facebook.com/CenkerMuzik/photos...3399011/?type=1

And here finished;

https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-x...amp;oe=55504D29

Neat right? I can solder cables easy but soldering those tiny wires in a limited space is beyond me, specially if I want things nice smile.gif

What struck us most when we first played the guitar, the output was increased without increasing the noise floor! ohmy.gif

I knew after all those years it wasn't as efficient but the result blow our minds (and my luthier does these stuff every day!). Not only level but tonally it opened up too (cause of Fender parts?) , the guitar simply became easier to play smile.gif My guitar is old but if I knew it would make a difference I'd renew the wires every 10 years. Consider this if you have an aged guitar.

Unfortunately after returning home I got sick cause of the bad weather and had to wait outside too long as the subway train needed fixing tongue.gif

I did test it though and liking it smile.gif my quick comment would be if you have a 2 humbucker 1 vol. and 1 tone guitar and only record, this works very nice! but for stage to be honest I'm not sure...pulling/pushing pots in the middle of songs to me isn't preferable.

PS; forgot to mention, I use a .001uF capasitor on the volume knob (adjusted like treble bleed). Its a common telecaster mod. as when volume is decreased so does the bass freq.s. With this and the splits the sounds I'm getting is pretty cool, of course nothing strat alike but pretty close smile.gif

This was a good read. I too have an Ibanez with 2 buckers 1 vol 1 tone and recently replaced my pickups and wiring too, except I kept the switch. A few people told me to switch to a fender switch but being impatient and stubborn I did a little tricky wiring to make it work. To this day I feel like putting that switch in because I am unsure what I really did and not certain that the bridge selection is actually that.
Wiring is so important and just clean connections between components too. I'll let you know if I make the switch. No pun intended

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 18 2015, 08:13 PM
GMC:er
Cool! To be honest, wiring options with Fender 5 way switches on our sort of guitars aren't many. I actually think the ibanez switch was superior for what it did.

This was my second option;

I would have gone for this if I didn't have the push/pulls or needed to keep stuff in a tighter budget. I never tested this but did ask on web and got positive feedback as it should work. A bit different than a default ibanez switch but still should work musically similar.

Just to give info, this was the defoult wiring when I first bought the guitar;

But sometime later I noticed this and since it had parallel on neck changed the wiring (keeping the same switch);

Worked great for both home and stage. But now the guitar is old, even though I don't do stage for a while now I wouldn't want to use it anyway so modified it for recording only instead.

I have zero knowledge of reading/doing wiring but its a really fun process smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 18 2015, 08:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 18 2015, 09:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 18 2015, 02:13 PM) *
Cool! To be honest, wiring options with Fender 5 way switches on our sort of guitars aren't many. I actually think the ibanez switch was superior for what it did.

This was my second option;

I would have gone for this if I didn't have the push/pulls or needed to keep stuff in a tighter budget. I never tested this but did ask on web and got positive feedback as it should work. A bit different than a default ibanez switch but still should work musically similar.

Just to give info, this was the defoult wiring when I first bought the guitar;

But sometime later I noticed this and since it had parallel on neck changed the wiring (keeping the same switch);

Worked great for both home and stage. But now the guitar is old, even though I don't do stage for a while now I wouldn't want to use it anyway so modified it for recording only instead.

I have zero knowledge of reading/doing wiring but its a really fun process smile.gif

Oh yeah man, just exploring was enough for me to get really into it. A while back 6yrs ago, I read and did a ton of schematic drawings of tube amps. Although the information has mostly been forgotten. (You'd have to work with electronics daily to remember) it keeps me always thinking about circuitry and mods. I'm pretty good with a soldering gun and automotive electronics but actual amp/gtr mods are new to me!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:04 AM