Music Notation ?
lee
Aug 18 2009, 02:41 AM
GMC:er
Hi All,

What does N.C. mean?I have seen it like this N.C.(F5).
I have also seen it alone N.C.Always above the staff.I
have not seen a chord on the staff below it just notes.
Also why is the (F5) beside it with no chord on the staff below?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kahall
Aug 18 2009, 04:15 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (lee @ Aug 17 2009, 08:41 PM) *
Hi All,

What does N.C. mean?I have seen it like this N.C.(F5).
I have also seen it alone N.C.Always above the staff.I
have not seen a chord on the staff below it just notes.
Also why is the (F5) beside it with no chord on the staff below?

It means No Chord. If you google or search for music notation n.c. you will get a few ways it is used, some right some wrong.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Oxac
Aug 18 2009, 11:47 AM
I believe that in this context N.C. would imply that no chord is being played really and the (F5) would suggest that the harmony would have been evolving around the F Power Chord.

Per example, you could have Dm7 G7 N.C.(Cmaj7) C#m7b5 or something. This would sort of mean a break in the underlying chords BUT give you a hint on how to improvise there and is simply a matter of arranging the song.

(I think, that's how I would've used it I'd like som C or C (confirmation or correction, yeah I just made that up tongue.gif)).

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
lee
Aug 18 2009, 01:11 PM
QUOTE (kahall @ Aug 17 2009, 09:15 PM) *
It means No Chord. If you google or search for music notation n.c. you will get a few ways it is used, some right some wrong.

Thanks kahall

QUOTE (Oxac @ Aug 18 2009, 04:47 AM) *
I believe that in this context N.C. would imply that no chord is being played really and the (F5) would suggest that the harmony would have been evolving around the F Power Chord.

Per example, you could have Dm7 G7 N.C.(Cmaj7) C#m7b5 or something. This would sort of mean a break in the underlying chords BUT give you a hint on how to improvise there and is simply a matter of arranging the song.

(I think, that's how I would've used it I'd like som C or C (confirmation or correction, yeah I just made that up tongue.gif)).

Thanks Oxac

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 18 2009, 01:54 PM
Instructor
As Kahall and Oxac said , N.C means no chord.
There are plenty of books that are very useful and instructional for music notation.
I suggest THIS book.
That is first semester class at Berklee if you have no idea about music notation and how to properly write or read symbols. I tested out of that when we had our evaluations before the start of first semester, but trust me book is awesome! Get it if you can wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lee
Aug 18 2009, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Aug 18 2009, 06:54 AM) *
As Kahall and Oxac said , N.C means no chord.
There are plenty of books that are very useful and instructional for music notation.
I suggest THIS book.
That is first semester class at Berklee if you have no idea about music notation and how to properly write or read symbols. I tested out of that when we had our evaluations before the start of first semester, but trust me book is awesome! Get it if you can wink.gif

Thanks Penja always a big help bro.I think this book is just what I need.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 18 2009, 03:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lee @ Aug 18 2009, 04:12 PM) *
Thanks Penja always a big help bro.I think this book is just what I need.

Glad I could help Lee, you welcome man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:03 PM