What Mic Should I Get For Recording?, Capturing sound from guitar amps
thefireball
Feb 11 2011, 02:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Hello!

I have never considered this before, but I started considering it today. I was riffing through my Vox VT 30 with Jackson and I was thinking, "POD Farm is cool, but sometimes I might wanna record the sound of this amp. I would need a mic. But I don't know what mic to get or what equipment I would need to record it. Where would I start?"

I thought I would present this to GMC community. Perhaps you can ask questions and give me advice that would help give me somewhat of a clear direction. I have no knowledge of this. I have always used the camera's mic or recorded directly line-in.

Thanks, GMC!

-Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 11 2011, 03:43 AM
GMC:er
I don't know much on this topic, I'm sure there are more experienced people here, but I'll start off.

You need an interface between the mic and the PC/laptop, such as http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrack.html.

As for mics, the Shure SM57 seems to be a popular choice: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mic...ment-microphone.

I'd opt for this myself, but it's more expensive than using the Pod GX and you'd need to have a well set-up environment to get a great capture with the mic.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
JamesT
Feb 11 2011, 03:49 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
SM57
There are probably a lot of good mic's out there, but the SM57 has been a mic of choice for pro's for this application for a long time. The good part about it is that it's also relatively inexpensive (I think still around a hundred bucks). So it doesn't break the bank to get a good mic for guitar that's widely used in the industry.

I think the SM57 and other dynamic mics lend themselves to guitar amp applications because volume level and the frequency range of the amp/guitar is such that the more sensitive condenser mics aren't really a requirement. Dynamic mics can withstand the high sound pressure levels, and the proximity effect from the cardioid pickup pattern is sometimes a desirable attribute. Vocalists like the SM57 for the same reasons, especially in live situations.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 11 2011, 04:42 AM
Instructor
Yeah SM57 is the classic for electric guitar amplifiers

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 11 2011, 04:42 AM
Learning Roadie
I see the M-Audio would render why POD GX useless, I guess, since it has a guitar jack. I think I would still keep it, though. happy.gif But it looks nice! Got place for the mic and headphones....and I see that I would be able to step up from Audacity. biggrin.gif Yay, for that!

Yeah, I recognize the 57 from POD Farm. smile.gif I like POD Farm a lot. It gives me more of a variety of sounds; I just sometimes want zero latency and better quality sounds from my physical effects and amps. This is something to think about. I'm not a rich guy - I'm a college kid with a part time job - so I'm really only thinking in the future here. smile.gif I first gotta upgrade my pickups in my 2 cheap guitars to be a little more equated with my Jackson. tongue.gif

Thanks! Anybody else have advice or suggestions? What type of environment would I need to set up? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 11 2011, 04:59 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
You might want to check out the Sennheiser E609, from what I understand it is specifically designed to record guitar amps. If not the SM57 seems like a great choice. Mind you I'm am by means an expert on mics or live recording, I'm just going by what I've read and what I've seen on youtube. You should check out a channel on youtube called FastRedPonyCar, that dude records some of the best demos on youtube. Of course his setup is a bit much but it can give you some ideas.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2011, 06:42 AM
Some great replies so far smile.gif I actually created a thread just for this. I review several audio interfaces I've owned and currently own and speakers, as well as info on Microphones, Speakers/Monitors, etc. This is actually a HUGE question but this info will give you a good start. Check it out at.....

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35615

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 11 2011, 06:49 AM

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 11 2011, 03:07 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 11 2011, 03:42 AM) *
Thanks! Anybody else have advice or suggestions? What type of environment would I need to set up? wink.gif

A quick search gave me this link if you want to start getting an idea: http://www.recording-microphone.com/record...r-amplifier.php.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 12 2011, 04:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 10 2011, 11:42 PM) *
Some great replies so far smile.gif I actually created a thread just for this. I review several audio interfaces I've owned and currently own and speakers, as well as info on Microphones, Speakers/Monitors, etc. This is actually a HUGE question but this info will give you a good start. Check it out at.....

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35615

Todd

Wow - a lot of info! smile.gif Useful! I'll be checking it out sometime.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2011, 11:46 AM
It might help inform your decision. But it is a good bit of content to go through. There is a lot to learn for someone like you just starting out with recording. It can seem daunting. It gets easier as you go though. Jump in!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 12 2011, 11:47 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 12 2011, 02:14 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A good article from Sound on Sound is here

Oh and I tend to agree with Alan Parsons. By all means use a dynamic mic but try to team it with a good condensor.

Also use a good mic preamp.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Feb 12 2011, 02:17 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Feb 12 2011, 10:54 PM
Beginner Instructor
I use the Sennheiser e609 when playing live to mic my guitar. It does an incredible job. The SM57's are the industry standard, but the e609 is easily just as good (and some people consider it to be better).

I've also been considering using an AKG D320B. They are older and hard to find, but according to Gregor Hilden's youtube videos, it sounds amazing for guitar!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 27 2011, 09:58 PM
Instructor
What type of interface you have at the moment? This will help me determine how big budget you need for upgrade.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 28 2011, 04:38 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 27 2011, 02:58 PM) *
What type of interface you have at the moment? This will help me determine how big budget you need for upgrade.

I have a POD GX Studio.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 2 2011, 08:22 PM
Instructor
If you want to mic a cab, you need to get audio interface with mic preamp, and mic. Shure SM57 is around 100$ new, and entry level audio interface around that much as well. If you are interested I can give you some interface suggestions. If you want to keep your tones from GX, you could try UX1 instead? UX1 has mic preamp next to guitar input, so you could use it for micing.

Also, don't forget that you will probably want to invest in acoustic treatment of the room you are recording your cabinet in order to cut down the reverberation to a reasonable level.

Let me know if you need additional help for this.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:59 AM