Practicing Standing
Jak
May 20 2015, 11:25 PM
GMC:er
Do any of you practice standing all the time? I find standing is much more comfortable on my picking arm since it just kinda hangs- no contorting my shoulder to adjust the picking arm like when sitting. I tried playing in the classical sitting position since a lot of people said it mimics standing better, but even then standing is more comfortable

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 21 2015, 12:01 AM
Learning Roadie
I think it's important to practice both sitting and standing - so that you are ready in any situation wink.gif

That being said - I only play while sitting down tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 21 2015, 12:02 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 21 2015, 09:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jak @ May 20 2015, 10:25 PM) *
Do any of you practice standing all the time? I find standing is much more comfortable on my picking arm since it just kinda hangs- no contorting my shoulder to adjust the picking arm like when sitting.

Dude, you discovered why standing is good for reducing tension in the shoulders, neck and arms. I've been saying this to people for years. It really is worth doing a big bulk of practise this way.

There will be times we sit down and play but for longer sessions I'd really warn against being sat on your ass, cramped up for ages. Standing is the way to go.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 21 2015, 09:25 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Jak @ May 21 2015, 12:25 AM) *
Do any of you practice standing all the time? I find standing is much more comfortable on my picking arm since it just kinda hangs- no contorting my shoulder to adjust the picking arm like when sitting. I tried playing in the classical sitting position since a lot of people said it mimics standing better, but even then standing is more comfortable

I like to practice standing up. I'd say most of my practice time is spent this way, especially since I don't really have a comfortable chair which is just right in terms of support, height etc when playing the guitar. I just made this a habit and it makes sense since when playing live you do need to be standing in most of the cases. Standing position feels more relaxed and natural to me. I do sit down from time to time as you do need to be "ready" to play both sitting down and standing but physique wise with practicing standing up I only see benefits.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
hickstir
May 22 2015, 03:07 PM
Intermediate and advanced players may not have this issue as much, but I used to always play and practice sitting down, and the first time I went to play something standing up I was like whoa, what the heck happened. I all of a sudden couldn't find notes that were no problem while I was sitting. So it was quite the eye opener to realize that if I had to all of a sudden play something and had no place to sit I was in trouble. So now I practice both. Although; I will continue to practice golf standing only!

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 23 2015, 07:29 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I spend ten hours a day on my feet. I bought a guitar stool, it's kinda like a halfway house because you have to wear a strap so you have a straight back and your guitar hangs as it would when standing, or pretty darn close wink.gif You can play without a strap but you struggle to keep the first in place, well that's what I find anyway.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
hickstir
May 23 2015, 10:54 PM
Hmmm... I might have to check one of these out, thanks Phil66

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 23 2015, 06:29 AM) *
I spend ten hours a day on my feet. I bought a guitar stool, it's kinda like a halfway house because you have to wear a strap so you have a straight back and your guitar hangs as it would when standing, or pretty darn close wink.gif You can play without a strap but you struggle to keep the first in place, well that's what I find anyway.

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 23 2015, 10:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (hickstir @ May 23 2015, 10:54 PM) *
Hmmm... I might have to check one of these out, thanks Phil66

You're very welcome sir cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
May 24 2015, 05:33 PM
I practise both sitting and standing.

I don't have unnatural posture or stoop my head too low but sometimes when I practise a lot I sometimes got stiff on the muscles on my back and back of neck that hold my head up while I look down over the guitar. i.e. if you play with the guitar head pointed to your left then the right side of your back and neck holds you up as you look and turn slightly to the left.

If you think the occasional cut of supermarket meat is disappointing with lots of gristle then I'd dread to think what the upper back muscles of some guitarists would be like (not that I'm suggesting guitarists should be eaten, it's the only comparison I can think of). A physio once found a few knots and pushed their thumb into them well hard to get them out, it was sort of painful but I don't mind therapeutic pain.

To avoid this I sometimes practise sat on the floor with my back leaned against the wall. It doesn't work on a seat because your legs need to be high relative to your upper body in order to get your upper body angle more upright against the wall. This way if I want to relieve the work for my rear neck holding my head up as I look down at the guitar, I just slip my ass forward on the floor a bit and the wall takes care of the back of my head.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:37 PM