> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Rated Htr's Thread, for Gab's Army
Rated Htr
Sep 16 2016, 08:05 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Gab,

I normally don't do this but as a way of being motivated to be consistent on a daily basis and going against my perfectionism I decided to do a video of my first recorded take. I practiced a few times, still know there is room for some timing corrections among other things but I plan on doing a better one for REC. Tomorrow I'll try to get the legato one and/or the improvisation in.

Let me know what you think.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 17 2016, 11:44 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Hi again man,

Here's my update regarding the current state of the tasks.

Ben's Land of Legato
At full tempo, I have muting problems in two sections so I decided to play at slower tempo for now. Do you want a video of it a slower tempo, do you want a video at full tempo regardless of the status it's in for you to get the idea of what needs to be fixed or do you want a take that I am happy with in the near future?

BB Blues Improv
The key things I applied to my improv from the lesson were: breathing space, repetition of the Q&A and applying rakes.
I feel that sometimes I abused the rakes and that I lacked some direction at the end. Also I tried not to deviate much from the minor pentatonic sound although I used the occasional modal note here and there. I missed a double stop and a bend which I wasn't very found of doing but here it is for you to tell me what you think smile.gif

BB Blues Lesson
Been listening a bit more to it to check the timing of certain licks but going to wait for your input on the previous video before advancing smile.gif

Gonna practice Ben's lesson a bit more in the afternoon after the soreness of my fingers stop biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Sep 17 2016, 11:58 AM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2016, 09:45 PM
Instructor
Hi Rated! Great stuff here! Thanks for the update.

About your question regarding Land of legato lesson, I prefer that you submit a slower take that sound tight and clean. It's much more important to play well and to play fast.

The improvisation sounds VERY good. Your phrases are clear, and the whole thing has a very defined structure. It's a very cool one. You can continue polishing your technique, making your vibrato more consistent, your bending more natural, and develop more your dynamics. But this take obviously passes.

Bb blues lesson: This one is also very good. There are only some details that you could have in mind during the next days of work.

- Vibrato: I'd review your vibrato technique on this one. It's not bad but there is some room to improve it. Sometimes you make it too soon while it's better to let the note sound and then add it gradually. Other times it's irregular, while others it would be wider.

- Bending: Just a few that aren't perfect (the first two ones, and the one at 1:05).

- Dynamics: Put some attention to the different intensities used in the original lesson.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 18 2016, 07:29 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Gab,

Thank you for your input, I've already started to implement it on my practice and will do a new take on the next few days.

Ben's Land of Legato
It is the first time I've recorded something that requires a lot of legato because it's something I've always dodged. I haven't seen my fingers' skin become like this for a long time so it was a great practice. Even though I recorded it at 75% speed, I still fail some muting mostly because of the way I place my fingers. Looking at the video, it looks really painful the way I do it laugh.gif.

Also, I feel like I'm rushing a lot which might suggest that I should maybe record a take at 50%, what do you reckon?

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Sep 18 2016, 07:38 PM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 19 2016, 09:16 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Gab, here's Monday's update.

BB Blues
Here's a new take. Here I was more concern about the dynamics and fixing the little details like the bends. I was also playing a lick with a wrong note which I corrected. The last bending was doing it on the wrong fret and regarding the first ones I didn't see they were a full step so hopefully, I should have improved them a bit at least. As for the vibrato, it can still come out a bit out of control since when I was playing trying to focus on vibrato and dynamics at the same time, I would screw one up laugh.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 21 2016, 02:37 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great job with both lessons!

BB king blues sounds much better than the previous one. I note improvements on each of the concepts that I've listed previously and now it's very close to sound perfect. The things that I note that need more work are the same that you've noted and commented in your post so you are definitely on track.

Land of legato is also ok, but it obviously needs more days of practice to feel the patterns more natural and be able to play everything with better tempo.

You still have more days for this assignment so keep working!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 24 2016, 07:55 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Gab, here's my update:

Ben's Land of Legato
I've been dedicating at least 25 minutes per day to practicing this lesson. I can notice the improvement and I've been changing my hand positioning to understand better the muting that needs to be done. Here's a take of the current status, at full speed now.

BTW, there's like a glitch second that was from my phone entering battery save mode laugh.gif

BB Blues
Should try to record my REC take tomorrow taking into consideration the vibrato training I've been doing as well. Of course will wait for your input to see if it's already worthy of being REC of if there is something else I should focus on or still have to clean up.

Let me know what you think.

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Sep 24 2016, 07:56 PM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 24 2016, 10:58 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Your legato is better, sometimes timing is irregular, but I think that it's just a matter of time. About the other lesson, sure, feel free to share it here first.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 26 2016, 03:47 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Gab,

Ben's Land of Legato
I decided to push this take ahead because of something I decided to try. Since I was having timing problems, I decided to try and do something inspired by Petrucci's approach to learning a lick so I played the whole lesson with AP, than Legato than Ap again and so on to see if that would help.

Did that yesterday and recorded a take today after the warm up.

BB Blues
I figured i'd go for a more faster vibrato and without the thumb pressing behind which is something I just thought about after watching the video carefully. So i'm going to practice that a bit more before posting a new take.

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2016, 01:41 AM
Instructor
Hi rated, that's awesome. Timing is much better on this one, and both the hammer and pull offs sounds stronger and clearer.

Congrats on the great job!

Where is the video of Petrucci sharing that idea?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 28 2016, 06:44 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Gab,

BB Blues
Nothing much to add, let's hope I've done well smile.gif

About the Petrucci Video, it's not actually per say, it's one of his "learn how to play fast" videos where he starts to show the ap approach, than the legato one, than combines both and I just got the idea of playing alternate styles to complement each other.

Btw, the deadline was yesterday so sorry for the late take, hope things are good enough to go through smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Sep 28 2016, 09:26 PM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2016, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Beautiful take for the BB blues lesson man! You did a killer job! Could you please share the 3 final videos for the assignment in the same post so we can move forward?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 29 2016, 06:13 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Thanks Gab, here's the three videos smile.gif

BB Blues

BB Blues Improv

Ben's Land of Legato

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2016, 10:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Rated, you've done a killer job! Congratulations man! Your take on BB king lesson and your improvisation are totally on spot. There is some room for improvements, but I think that your vibrato is very good, as well as your timing, and that the way you've incorporated the licks learnt in the BB king lesson in order to create your own improvisation is just perfect.

Based on your work on this assignment, these are your results:

- TASK 1: 3 coins

- TASK 2: 2+ 3 coins

- TOTAL: 8/10 coins

ASSIGNMENT #2:

Goals:

- Bending Practice
- Vibrato Practice
- Improvisation

TASK 1:

- Learn and practice this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ending-Workout/

TASK 2:

- Improvise over the backing track of the lesson focusing on bending and vibrato.

Exam and deadline:

By October 12th you'll have to share 2 videos:

- A video playing Bending lesson (5 coins)
- A video improvising over the backing track. (5 coins)

Each of these videos will be evaluated (check the coins value below). You need to get at least 7 coins to pass. If you pass, we can continue, if you don't you will have a second "call".

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 2 2016, 10:28 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Oct 3 2016, 05:35 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hi Gab, thanks for the notes and the new assignment smile.gif

Bending Workout
Here's a quick first take, right after I finished learning it so this is how it came naturally. At first glance a couple of bends that need work (0.23, 0.30 for example, maybe 0.49 going slightly under), going over the pitch as you mentioned to be the problem, still wondering if it's a matter of tone of bending missing when it begins to be harmonic (by that I mean the double stop bends)and also, since you mentioned Vibrato Practice, am I suppose to do vibrato? Darius doesn't seem to be doing in the lesson, probably to avoid cheating. Also I missed one lick of connection before it repeats the double stop lick upwards.

Here's the take anyways.

Tomorrow I'll try one with a bit more depth and analysis.

Have a good one.
Filipe

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Oct 3 2016, 05:39 PM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2016, 08:01 PM
Instructor
Hi Rated, good first try! There are bends to fix but I think that you have half of the lesson or more already done! Forget about vibrato, it's not required for this assignment.

Isolate the wrong bends and work on them, mostly the double string ones that need more work.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Oct 6 2016, 04:40 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Gab, here's my update smile.gif

Bending Workout
Tried to focus mostly on the double stop bendings. Been very tempted to use vibrato but keep telling myself not to use it in any case and I think I'm improving because of that smile.gif The recording sounds to me a bit out of tune, probably should have checked it out before doing it but didn't want not to share something.

Bending Improv
Decided to be a bit more agressive on this one. Since I couldn't use vibrato for the lesson, I went Wylde (get it tongue.gif) for this one. After a while, I started to lack direction of what I wanted to do but since I wanted to do the whole extend of the backing track, I kept going.

Let me know what you think, I'll keep practicing.
Filipe

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2016, 04:19 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! This is going really well! And you still have 5 days of practice to end the assignment.

The bends on the bending lesson are getting more and more precise! There is more room for them but the improvements is awesome compared with the previous one. Well done!

And the improv... hey Zakk? Is that you?? biggrin.gif

GREAT vibrato man! This is definitely the right track for both techniques! It's also great how you incorporated the licks from the lesson into your own phrasing. And also, cool ending repetitive lick. smile.gif

KEEP ON ROCKING!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Oct 8 2016, 05:32 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Gab, thank you for the kind words. I've been working every day and I'm very happy that I'm maintaining my discipline regiment and I can tell I'm doing the work by the way my fingers are getting so thank you for spending the time from your busy schedule to help me.

Bending Workout

Still trying to work out on the double bends. It's on lessons like these that I see how much I "cheated" my way out of doing them right using vibrato. I know that the ending ones still need some work because I'm worried about the fingering. The principle ones I wanted to get right here are the ones where the double bend on the same fret (14th) happen and the two ones after that.

Gonna keep working.

Cheers mate
Filipe

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 10 2016, 02:02 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Yeah, I can see in your videos that you are working hard! This video shows it too. I also note that the part that need your attention now is the double string bending section. Isolate this licks and work on them. The other parts are sounding good.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:27 AM