How Much Should I Practice Licks?, Intense Rock
Braer
Aug 31 2009, 06:52 PM
GMC:er
Hey! I have been practicing the second lick from Paul gilbert`s intense rock dvd(Here is the lick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt8Lm5wJiSU...eature=related). But how much should i practice it? Is it ment to be practiced so much i can play it at pauls speed? (I think ill have to practice it a couple years if thats the point).

What do you think i should do?

BTW, Its not me playing in the video. I can play it a little slower than he does

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 31 2009, 07:00 PM
Depends how fast you want it???

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Braer
Aug 31 2009, 07:01 PM
pretty fast, but i think pauls speed will come over years of playing

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 31 2009, 07:02 PM
Nah, metronome practise... maybe 3 months? Maybe 2?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
Aug 31 2009, 07:04 PM
only practicing this lick?

and how much each day?

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 31 2009, 07:05 PM
I DUNNO!

I don't know how fast you improve?
If you really want to get it right really bad... half an hour a day? At least? Depends how fast you want the results...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
Aug 31 2009, 08:32 PM
ok, when i got it up to temp and starting on the next lick, will i use the same time on the lick?

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 1 2009, 04:45 PM
QUOTE (Braer @ Aug 31 2009, 12:32 PM) *
ok, when i got it up to temp and starting on the next lick, will i use the same time on the lick?

Maybe. Every lick is different regarding speed. Chasing Gilbert's speed for different licks is a good goal to have, you have to realize that you are going to need to invest some time to play like him though. He has been playing for 30+ Years but I mean I dont know how much time he spent getting those licks up to speed. Just keep playing but don't let your only focus be to chase Gilbert's Speed, look into other aspects of Guitar then just speed. You will find out sooner or later, that a melody is something to be remembered. Everyone has seen a ton of blazing fast licks, and overtime there is always someone a little faster, and those licks are often forgotten.

The best advice I can give you if you really want to play fast, but you dont know how to tackle these hard licks and get them up to speed is this.

How do you eat a elephant ?

The answer is pretty simple, one bite at a time. So keep at it day after day. You will get there. smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:46 PM