> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

23 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Tom51's Practice Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2015, 04:58 AM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Nice to know that you are enjoying your diary practice nowadays. That's the most important part! Improvements will come with the pass of time.

Some comments about the takes....

Buckethead Lesson:

- Remember to let the note sound and then add vibrato. You tend to play it really soon when you play the notes.
- Isolate the faster ascending licks and work on them as exercises.
- Be careful with bending on the last phrases.

Barre chords:

- Nice groove! The lesson is getting better!
- Your guitar has some tuning issues on higher strings.
- Good job with the chord changes!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom51
Sep 8 2015, 03:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Tuning issues

Hi Gab - just want to ensure that's really the guitar and not me with the tuning issues (pressing strings to hard or a little out of position or similar)
I tuned the guitar at open string and 12th fret - everything seems to be nearly perfect and played the higher Am7 and B7 chords note by note with first finger and then the Barre Chord shape. What do you hear?

I have guitar stores relatively nearby - but these guys are not luthiers. If tuning issues persist I could ask them to check it.

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/barre-detuned-guitar-1

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tom51: Sep 8 2015, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2015, 02:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom, your guitar sounds good on this sample, I don't notice tuning issues.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Sep 13 2015, 10:28 AM
Learning Roadie
HI Gab - so it seems besides correct tuning of my guitar I have to be very careful with my chord shapes to avoid a detuned sound. I have been working on this and will record a new Barre lesson next weekend. Sooner or later I will get this lesson right wink.gif

Ear Training: I really have a hard time with the new ear training assignment and spent a lot of time but I feel its beyond my abilities right now. So I try to find the base note and then play the other notes one after each other and hear if it fits in.
Here is what I got so far. I would be happy if one or the other note is right but expect a 100%fail this time. was only dealing with the first five triads so far

1= MajA = A-C#-E
2= AugB = B-D#-G
3= AugD = D-F#-A#
4= MinE = E-G-B
5= MajD =D-F#-A

I have really no idea how to get the new assignment done.

Here hopefully some better news - the new Frusciante video. Your advice about my vibrato coming too fast from my Buckethead take was implemented. So I let the note sound before I apply vibrato. At least I tried so.

https://youtu.be/JA1i7ZV7nug

Thanks Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Sep 13 2015, 10:29 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 13 2015, 11:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom!

Yes, you have to take care of fingers pressure when playing chords.

About the ear training, the number 3 and 4 are right!! This means that it's possible for you to learn the whole thing!! smile.gif If this is giving problems, it means that you need to keep on working on previous assignments, you need to create your own exercises based on the topics covered on previous stages of this program. I noted that many students are having problems so maybe we'll have to reinforce previous assignments...

About your vibrato on Frusciante's lesson, good job! It's much better now! The lesson still needs work to adjust timing and some of the higher licks but please keep on improving your vibrato like this.

Ok mate, all great news, keep on rocking!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Sep 19 2015, 05:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab - just recorded new Barre and Buckethead lessons. I feel it slowly starts sounding good wink.gif

Barre
https://youtu.be/Z1jm7wR2-G4

Buckethead
https://youtu.be/9rNmMEZBPuY

Ear Training: I worked with a strict time limit this week (only 15min/day). I still feel its a very demanding assignment.
It would help a lot if I have only the chord quality right or only the base note correct if you could help with that information. It helps to know that maybe major is right but I missed the base note or the other way round.
Worked up to #6 this week.

Number - Chord Quality Base - Note
1= Dim-B
2= MIn-C
3= was OK last week (AugD)
4= was OK last week (MinE)
5= Min-C
6= Maj-G

Thanks much!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 21 2015, 01:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Congrats on your great job!

The bare lesson sounds really good. It's really inspiring to compare your first takes on this lesson with this new one. The next steps are just play it once or twice every day to become more and more comfortable with the progression and rhythm, but it's now technically correct.

Buckethead lesson is also getting better but it still has some rhythm/timing issues here and there in the second half. I think that instead of repeating the whole thing you should isolate the parts that are not tight (like at 00:58 or at 01:12). There are also parts that are close to the rhythm but has little timing issues. By the way, this new take shows improvements on this direction so keep on the hard work.

About ear training, I'll share some assignments soon that help you make a bridge between your current skills and the last assignment, don't worry about it. There are 2 right ones, the 3rd and the 4th.

Keep on rocking! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Sep 21 2015, 01:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Gab ...really happy to hear that about the Barre lesson. Its been a long and tough way...for your ears too biggrin.gif
Will do as you recommended and play it every other day a few times. Do you think I can post this at REC now? Its been a long time since I has a lesson that passed there.

I will continue to work on the 16th notes licks an second part of Buckethead isolated. I am aware of the timing issue now. Dont know why I did not hear this before. Maybe I was so focused on getting the bends right.

Cheers Tom

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 21 2015, 02:00 PM
Instructor
yes! Let's go for another REC win! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Sep 27 2015, 09:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
this weekend is a new Frusciante2 lesson video here. Special focus was getting a tasty vibrato. So I was experimenting how fast and wide vibrato can be and how long let the note sound before starting vibrato and how it fits with the backing track. I feel i learned a lot with this lesson about vibrato.

Frusciante2
https://youtu.be/tb0ELnbojU0

New Ear Training assignment
I am through it but not sure if my approach is the right one. I am not trying to find the actual chord you play but just try to get from the sound if its major or minor. OK?
Will take some more days to check my results again.
Thanks also for explanations about inversions and the lesson reference. Spend quite some time to play the different triads...

Rhythm
It really was a great motivation that all instructors noticed the progress at REC. Just played the lesson a few times daily and wonder how I should go on. Maybe with some lesson like this that includes open- barre- and power chords ?
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...10-Make-a-Song/
Or should I better add some new chords to my "chord library" ?

The Improvisation course is awesome. It helps so much to apply something new instead of only playing scales up and down without use or ideas behind. Of course I repeat all the stuff during warmup to get at least part of it permanently in my fingers but that its not boring as there is always a connection to the backing.
You really a great mentor for all of us Gab! THANK YOU!
Tom

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 27 2015, 04:47 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your words about my mentoring here. It made my day. smile.gif

I'm also happy to see how many GMCers keep on motivated and progressing as musicians. The future is really promising.

Your take on Frusciante's lesson 2 is really good. You can play the different phrases tight with the backing. Some more days of practice will help you to adjust even more your vibrato and bending technique so I would keep it in your diary routine to be played once or twice every day.

About the ear training, you're right, you have to identify major or minor, not notes.

Finally regarding rhythm, I think that you could choose any musical lesson that you like and learn it. Chord changes and rhythm keep on improving by playing along with songs or GMC lessons which are like song reductions. You'll find lots of lessons in my archive based on pop and punk bands. The lesson that you suggested is cool to understand how a song is arranged.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 4 2015, 10:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
here is a new recording and some feedback about my current practice which looks more or less like this
45 min Improvisation course
15 min Ear Training
45 min Lessons (Buckethead, Frusciante, Barre)
and a little playing with sounds....

This weekend I recorded a new Buckethead video. Working about 15min/d on it is right for me because I start loosing concentration if I work longer. So polishing this lesson may need a long time but as long as I enjoy it its okay. Just compared it with one of the first recordings and yes...its a very big improvement. This progress is really motivating, especially given that a year ago I did not even think about guitar playing.
https://youtu.be/zYMC4Vrby7o

With new rhythm lesson I will start with Bears Lesson first
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...10-Make-a-Song/
Then I would choose one of your lessons like the Chris Cornell Style which I like much. But I just need something easier first wink.gif

Here are my ear training results assignment 12. I thought I would hear minor or major chord quality easily but that is only for slowly strummed open chords like A-E-D that I am familiar with. Hope I hear better than my dog ...

min-Maj-min-Maj-min-min-Maj-Maj-min-Maj

This post has been edited by Tom51: Oct 4 2015, 12:07 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2015, 02:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Congrats on your great job!

I notice improvements on everything you have been sharing in the last weeks. You are a hard worker but also a very disciplined students. You have no limits if you continue with this attitude. smile.gif

The routine looks perfect. It's very important to have a very defined practice routine to avoid wasting time on searching what to practice. Diary repetitions show really important results.

Your take on Buckethead lesson sounds good, it shows improvements on the things we've been talking about (bending, timing, vibrato) but there is off course more room to adjust each of those techniques, so please keep working on it.

The ear training assignment is very good, there are only 2 wrong ones.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 7 2015, 01:29 PM
Learning Roadie
So here comes a new Frusciante video. I just polished it the last 10 day about 5-10min per day. I looked at your playing and tried to adopt your vibrato. So its is not as wide and fast as during my last recordings.
https://youtu.be/b5h_6fwEZ0k

I found another lesson that might be good for working on bending and vibrato:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-Beginner-Solo/
As I feel there is no much work on Frusciante left I would add this lesson. OK?

Ear Training (#12) - hope the two bold once are the mistakes:
Maj-Maj-min-Maj-min-min-min-Maj-min-Maj

Everything else is on track . Cheers Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Oct 7 2015, 04:39 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2015, 06:35 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom!

Good job with your vibrato. It starts to get consistent. The more you practice and focus on it, the more regular it will be and the more connected with the backing's groove. That beginner solo is a good next step for this.

The ear training assignment is perfect now, well done!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 17 2015, 07:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello Gab, did a recording marathon today biggrin.gif

Frusciante
https://youtu.be/bo0Gc8CQHIc

Beginner Solo
https://youtu.be/0kfdftsJjrM

Buckethead
https://youtu.be/ek1DtDl6c8Y

Except with Buckethead I am quite happy with results. But maybe my expectations are getting more demanding too.

I also work on Bear's lesson #10 (rhythm) but I have not find the best way yet how to record the 3 guitars and videos. If that gets to complicated I will switch to one of your lessons (of one from Guido) or record audio only.

Worked on ear training using the 3 string major and minor arpeggio shapes from improvisation. Will start working on assignment 13 tomorrow.
Improvisation: still working on scales and sequences to get this in my hands.

Besides this I only regret that my time for guitar playing is limited.
Thanks Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Oct 17 2015, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 18 2015, 10:56 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Good job!

I can see improvements in your playing. These videos are proof of hard work and focus, great job! Frusciante's lesson sounds really good but it would be good to continue practicing it to adjust vibrato and bending, improve dynamics, and make those slides more consistent. Something similar happens with beginners solo which is sounding good but bending has pitch issues here and there.

Finally I also think that Buckethead lesson is the one that needs more practice but I still notice improvements comparing this one with the previous take. You are still not totally comfortable with the different phrases so I would work on smaller blocks at first to adjust details and feel more familiar with each phrase.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 19 2015, 05:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab - below is ear training assignment #13. Thanks Tom.

1= c-f-g-f
2= c-e-b-d
3= c-d-f-a
4= c-b-a-f
5= c-a-f-d
6= c-d-g-e
7= c-g-c-e
8= c-a-b-g
9= c-e-a-g
10= c-g-d-e

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 20 2015, 01:27 PM
Instructor
Great work with the assignment! It's perfect! How was your approach to work on this one?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 20 2015, 03:07 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 20 2015, 12:27 PM) *
Great work with the assignment! It's perfect! How was your approach to work on this one?

I listened to one group of four notes and then played the melody on my guitar and compared it again. Interestingly I can keep a short melody relatively long in my mind/ears.

Honestly I did not sing it - becuase I cannot sing in pitch and that will only cause confusion. But reproducing a melody that I have in my head seems to by an ability that is really worth working on.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:01 PM