Suhr 7 String For Drop Tuning?
ElHombre
Feb 6 2014, 05:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello.

I bought a suhr modern a while back at a good price.
I have had it for 1.5 years and its the best guitar I have ever played.

I also have my Ibanez 7 string, but the difference between the 2 guitars is huge and
the Suhr is so much better to me.

So I would like a 7 string.
Here is one I found: http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/10429/S...Pearl-Metallic/

Now the thing is.
Are these 7 strings more thought of playing in standard?

I was going to play mine in A flat drop, wonder how well that would work.
I had an ordinary scale on my Ibanez 7 string as well and it seems to work fine for me.

Ill be having a .64 on that low A

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
miguelbatalha
Feb 6 2014, 05:18 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 6 2014, 04:15 PM) *
Hello.

I also have my Ibanez 7 string, but the difference between the 2 guitars is huge and

Here is one I found: http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/10429/S...Pearl-Metallic/

Now the thing is.

I had an ordinary scale on my Ibanez 7 string as well and it seems to work fine for me.

Suhr only makes TOP-END guitars...

If the Ibanez and Suhr scales' length are the same then it should work fine.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 6 2014, 11:00 PM
You can tune any guitar any way you want to be honest smile.gif But in general, when I'm playing mty Ibanez 7 String, I keep it in standard tuning. The low string is a Low B and seems plenty low and allows longer scale runs etc. You can always do "Drop Tuning" on any guitar, but changes your scale positions for whatever strings has been dropped so I don't prefer it though some do smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 6 2014, 11:15 AM) *
Hello.

Now the thing is.

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Feb 7 2014, 03:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yes you are right Todd.
Its what you are used to, I have never played anything other than drop for a 7 string, so standard would confuse me smile.gif
Also after a lot of experimenting I found out that A flat was the perfect tuning for me and my music.
Also my favorite bands play in this tuning who i learn songs from.

So I need to have it set up and everything with the neck and all.

I use a .64 for the low A flat and that was perfect.
Goes well with a 10-46 for the other strings

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2014, 04:34 AM
Sounds like you are all set to ROCK!!! Once you get it all setup, record a bit for us!

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 6 2014, 09:59 PM) *
Yes you are right Todd.
Its what you are used to, I have never played anything other than drop for a 7 string, so standard would confuse me smile.gif
Also after a lot of experimenting I found out that A flat was the perfect tuning for me and my music.
Also my favorite bands play in this tuning who i learn songs from.

So I need to have it set up and everything with the neck and all.

I use a .64 for the low A flat and that was perfect.
Goes well with a 10-46 for the other strings

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2014, 01:33 PM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif

Well, I wanted to say this, but Todd took the initiative in a way and you confirmed that you understood what you have to do so I will just underline the importance of the whole discovery:

You need to understand what you want from your instrument and use it accordingly - for instance, I have the baritone guitar equipped with 12-68 strings and keeping it in drop A. Not that friendly for soloing, especially because I had it set with a rather high action... but smile.gif it's meant for riffing and sounding big, so this setup is perfect for what I need wink.gif

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Feb 8 2014, 01:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
Okay smile.gif
I want a versatile low tuned guitar so I go with the 7 string.
The thing is, action should be higher on the A and the E right
And you can keep a low action for the rest of the strings, or will it be unbalanced?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 8 2014, 08:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 8 2014, 12:42 AM) *
Okay smile.gif
I want a versatile low tuned guitar so I go with the 7 string.
The thing is, action should be higher on the A and the E right
And you can keep a low action for the rest of the strings, or will it be unbalanced?

I think that this really depends on how the guitar is set up - once again, I have a luthier that takes care of my axes so I have no experience in setting up the action and especially, this concept of differential action is very interesting - thanks for sparking an idea smile.gif What do the rest of the guys say?

+Quote Post
miguelbatalha
Feb 8 2014, 02:28 PM
Every guitar I have seen had a balanced action (distance from every string to fretboard was basically the same)... but I'm not an experienced luthier

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Feb 8 2014, 03:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hmm, maybe the best think is to have a dropped 6 string ONLY for riffing.
But I liked the whole idea of having the high range and solo ability.
Thats why I have a 7 string smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2014, 09:40 AM
Instructor
True enough, but I am curious if you can really set the guitar as you mentioned smile.gif To have a riffage/lead prepared guitar... here's what I found - it's not saying anything about this, but I think it's a pretty comprehensive guide to the task: http://www.samash.com/opncms/opencms/samas...ric_Guitar.html

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:22 AM