2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Are You Happy With Your Compositions?
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2013, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Hey guys!

We all know that when you dedicate to music, the learning process is infinite. There is always something new to learn, a new technique, a new style, a new scale, chord, etc. The main goal is always creating music so the question today are:

Are you happy with your compositions?

What do you think your music is lacking?

What composers do you admire and why?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 4 2013, 10:12 PM
GMC:er
1. Yes, i Am. They manage to KILL and ERASE FALSE METAL !!!

2. Lacking succes! (commercial one , i can't make money with them yet mad.gif )

3. Pagannini, Jon Oliva, King diamond. (they're all Kings, IMAO , except Pagannini, i don't listen much to him, but i guess it's cool and trendy to put some Classical music composers as an influence to get out of the "clichee" dry.gif )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 5 2013, 09:10 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2013, 10:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 4 2013, 06:12 PM) *
1. Yes, i Am. They manage to KILL and ERASE FALSE METAL !!!

2. Lacking succes! (commercial one , i can't make money with them yet mad.gif )

3. Pagannini, Jon Oliva, King diamond. (they're all Kings, IMAO)

hahaha fantastic answers Slavenko. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 5 2013, 07:29 AM
Learning Tone Master
I'm happy with my composition but I'm not happy when I must cut some parts where I can't play some technical stuff.

I want my music to be more complex.

Strauss and Francis Lopez - for melodicity
David Lynch - for his "diabolic" mind and his style of music with weirdness, psychedelic and scary, all of these blended very musical
Andy Timmons - perfect songs for my taste
And of course as you already know - Darek Wawrzyniak and Yiannis Papadopoulos biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 5 2013, 07:52 AM
I'm happy with my compositions in general but most often when I'm just true to myself and writing with the purpose and love for music. In other situations I tend to feel cramped and dishonest, mainly because people hear music they think of different stylistic approaches and clichées. I hate writing stuff that sounds cliché so I always start exploring other grounds instead (like atonality, polyrhythms, polymetrics, mathematical concepts, and anything else I can think of WITHOUT experimentation). If I experiment I just write studies or etudes, I never experiment when I write "real" stuff.

My music generally lacks variations, I may write down a 4 minute song but in the end I've lost more than double that due to bad memory and that I couldn't write it down when I heard it. This gets better and better as I learn to more quickly write down and connect my ear with the notes, in the end I hope that I can write as quickly as I can improvise in my head to capture the full "idea" of a song.

I admire composers that thread new ground and sound like themselves. To name a couple: Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Bela Bartok, Maurice Ravel, Shostakovich, Saint-saens, Phillip Glass, John Cage, Alexander Scriabin, Virgil Donati, Allan Holdsworth, Ben Monder, Julian Lage, Rudolf Schmitt, Dave "TechDiff" Forrester, Frank Gambale, John Coltrane, Billy Cobham, John McLaughlin, Marcelo Berestovoy, Francisco Tárrega, Rodrigo, Eugène Ysaÿe, Pablo de Sarasate, Gustav Mahler, Scarlatti, Chick Corea, John Scofield, Chris Arp, Nicolo Paganini, Vivaldi, Verdi, Puccini, Franz Liszt, Chopin, Debussy... and so on

I have a hard time with normal music or modern music which doesn't seem to lend itself to the type of expressive musicality which I want to hear and create in my own music. Everything has it's place tho and I can certainly enjoy a bit of "simpler" types of music at times, but it's not what my heart aches for.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2013, 08:47 AM
Instructor
Vince - you sound like a classical music aficionado! Awesome to hear you are probably a great connoisseur of classical composers and their work!

For me... at THIS particular point in time:

Are you happy with your compositions?

I haven't written new music in a while, but since the Days of Confusion new album is slowly starting to come into our attention, I will gather my ideas and begin smile.gif I sometimes don't feel too happy with not having that certain catchiness in some lines, but it always gets there somehow.

What do you think your music is lacking?

Hmmm, as long as I am able to transmit my message, I think that it doesn't lack anything. I usually look at people's reactions and if I manage to get my point across, the music is fine because it serves its purpose smile.gif

What composers do you admire and why?

Hard one... for me, each composition that strikes a sensible emotion of any kind, in me, is a good composition. Each day when I discover a new piece of music that touches my soul, the person responsible for writing that piece of music, turns into an inspiration, even if it's only for a song or only for that particular moment in time smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 5 2013, 09:04 AM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 5 2013, 08:29 AM) *
I'm happy with my composition but I'm not happy when I must

David Lynch - for his "diabolic" mind and his style of music with weirdness, psychedelic and scary, all of these blended very musical

Are you reffering to David Lynch, a film director?

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 5 2013, 09:07 AM

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 5 2013, 09:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
I really admire bands with long, almost symphonic compositions like Yes and Godspeed You! Black Emperor smile.gif I think they take their song writing an extra step and provoke emotions which otherwise are hard to recreate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 5 2013, 09:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 5 2013, 08:04 AM) *
Are you reffering to David Lynch, a film director?

Yes, that David Lynch.
But he is also musician and composer. He released two albums. One was made in 2011 and the second album was released on July 2013 .
And also he worked with Angelo Badalamenti for music from Twin Peaks movie.
If you want to listen something that I love it, this is my favorite song on his last album " The big dream" smile.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 5 2013, 10:59 AM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 5 2013, 08:35 AM) *
Yes, that David Lynch.
But he is also musician and composer. He released two albums. One was made in 2011 and the second album was released on July 2013 .
If you want to listen something that I love it, this is my favorite song on his last album " The big dream" smile.gif

Sounds quite a bit like Portishead and Halou. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 5 2013, 12:07 PM
The most common problem I notice (even when listening professional guitarists) is that usually the composition struggles to create a musical forum in itself.

Its like; one has something wonderful to say and knows the language but all the punctuation is missing or misused.

Personally I find this key element (specially today) to determine whether a composition will be successful (as in artistic or production values) or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 5 2013, 12:42 PM
THE RIFF is THE MOST IMPORTANT IN COMPOSITION. ALL TODAY's GUITAR "VIRTUOSOS" CAN SHRED OR HARASS GUITAR With some BUBLEGUM PHRASES FOR AN HALF AN HOUR , but if he's missing the Music HOLY GRAIL, The essence of composition - THE RIFF , all his Bublegum playing SUDDENLY falls in water...

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 5 2013, 12:43 PM

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 5 2013, 12:54 PM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 5 2013, 11:42 AM) *
THE RIFF is THE MOST IMPORTANT IN COMPOSITION. ALL TODAY's GUITAR "VIRTUOSOS" CAN SHRED OR HARASS GUITAR With some BUBLEGUM PHRASES FOR AN HALF AN HOUR , but if he's missing the Music HOLY GRAIL, The essence of composition - THE RIFF , all his Bublegum playing SUDDENLY falls in water...

You're funny my friend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 5 2013, 01:15 PM
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 5 2013, 01:54 PM) *
You're funny my friend.

I was dead serious. Thank You.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 5 2013, 01:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 5 2013, 01:42 PM) *

I think it sort of depends on the style of the music. For pop music it's catchy lyrics and vocal melodies, and then you have genres that benefit from nice melodies and harmonies. Classical music wouldn't be the same without some of the harmonies and so on. In more heavy genres a nice bone breaking riff is nice for sure though and in thrash metal it's probably one of the building blocks. But there are plenty of good songs that don't as such have riffs in them.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 5 2013, 01:51 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 5 2013, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 5 2013, 02:35 PM) *
. But there are plenty of good sings that don't as such have riffs in them.

YEAH, which ones? Offcourse i was regarding to Rock music in general, not some shitty pop, or disco.

There aren't any. If u can't make a good riff on guitar, then better save your time and turn yourself to other occupation than playing guitar.

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 5 2013, 01:41 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 5 2013, 01:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 5 2013, 02:38 PM) *
YEAH, which ones? Offcourse i was regarding to Rock music in general, not some shitty pop, or disco.

There aren't any. If u can't make a good riff on guitar, then better save your time and turn yourself to other occupation than playing guitar.

Here's a couple from different genres that don't have smashing guitar riffs:

To name a few more well known pieces. Of course there are many great songs with great riffs as well.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 5 2013, 01:52 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2013, 01:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 5 2013, 05:35 AM) *
Yes, that David Lynch.

David Lynch is an awesome artist, I'm sure that you've read his book about how meditation helped him to be more creative and productive.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Sep 5 2013, 02:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
  1. Yes
  2. Vocals and lyrics.
  3. There are a lot of composers that I admire but in the same style that I'm composing, my favorite is: Steven Wilson.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2013, 02:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Sep 5 2013, 10:20 AM) *
  1. Yes
  2. Vocals and lyrics.
  3. There are a lot of composers that I admire but in the same style that I'm composing, my favorite is: Steven Wilson.

He is so talented! I love his compositions and projects.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:24 AM