Looking for a small, light electric for 7 year old
Thaellar
Feb 23 2007, 06:43 PM
GMC:er
What is a good small electric guitar for a 7-10 year old. My SG is too big and heavy. Does anyone make small, light guitars for kids? Wouldn't want to pay more than $300 for it.

edit: of course I don't want to discourage him with a fret-buzzing POS. (you knew that already).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Thaellar: Feb 23 2007, 06:48 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 23 2007, 07:36 PM
QUOTE (Thaellar @ Feb 23 2007, 06:43 PM) *
What is a good small electric guitar for a 7-10 year old. My SG is too big and heavy. Does anyone make small, light guitars for kids? Wouldn't want to pay more than $300 for it.

edit: of course I don't want to discourage him with a fret-buzzing POS. (you knew that already).

Yes, they are made. Problem is, they are probably all real cheap, like $50. Fender Mustang makes a short scale, 24 inches. I had one of those I think long ago. I think they make a long scale also, but most are the short scale. Mine was light. Problem is, they sale on musiciansfriend for $699. Probably could find it cheaper. Then again, it is a good guitar, and one he would be proud of for the next 3 or 4 years at least. Also the short scale is good for a kid, so he can bend notes easier. I would go on ebay, find someone with a 24 inch scale mustang, and ask how much it weighs to get an idea. The old ones would be more expensive than the new ones. But you might get a recent issue used. These might be made in Japan, which would be fine I think. Keep in mind, if he takes care of it, you can sell a fender on ebay easily later, without much loss.

I would consider getting him a nicer guitar than you were thinking. He might take it more serious if you do that, if he has something he is really proud of. And as I said, you can sale it on ebay later.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 23 2007, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 23 2007, 11:27 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Thaellar @ Feb 23 2007, 06:43 PM) *

Look at the Squire Hello Kitty model, it's a mini guitar. They come in either Pink or Black.
Shouldn't cost you more than $300.

+Quote Post
xtrmn8tr
Feb 24 2007, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (Thaellar @ Feb 23 2007, 12:43 PM) *

try an epiphone les paul pee wee...got one for my grandaughter and an ampin a kit at guitar center...i love messing around with it ...its a real guitar only its pint sized...check it out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Thaellar
Feb 26 2007, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. My son liked the Ibanez Mikro so we got that. Red and black with sharktooth fretboard....what's not to like about that at his age. Also picked up a small Vox 5w amp with a bunch of effects built in. The Ibanez sounds okay and I got the intonation dialed in with some bridge adjustments. We'll see how far he goes before I get him something really nice.

Thanks again.

Thaellar

+Quote Post
yell03
Feb 26 2007, 01:31 PM
My son is 11 and decided he wants to play.

I was looking for an excuse to buy another guitar so I bought him a Dean Vendetta XM for $79 (I had a $20 coupon for a internet store).

It is a full-size electric with 24 frets, but it only weighs like 4lbs.
Best of all it plays really nice, fast neck, good action, and even decent sound.

For traveling around and not messing up my ESP, Gibson, or Fender it is great.
Of course I have GREAT hardshell cases for those guitars.
I have the Vendetta in a Fender 60th anniversary padded gigbag, but I eventually will pick up an inexpensive hardshell case for it.
I'd like to find a Coffin Case cheap on ebay, I have one for my ESP, it is very appropriate for a Metal guitar. cool.gif

I like to take a guitar to my business so I can practice if it is a slow day (rarely), so I just ordered a Roland Microcube amplifier.
Very cool little amp.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:27 PM