Metrenome Need Help
sigma7
Jun 16 2008, 10:03 PM
GMC:er
How do you multitask listening to the beeps ON A METRENOME and play at the same time. IT IS FREAKING ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

ANY TIPS?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sigma7: Jun 16 2008, 10:04 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 16 2008, 10:12 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Hmm..i guess that is something that some people take for granted.

You could think of it this way: dont follow the metonome beeps. Follow you're internal sense of rhythm, but let that be guided by the beeps you hear from the metornome.

Another thing is that you shouldnt be thinking too much about what you hands are doing- i generally practise something a fair bit until i can play it starting with a down or upstroke and usually to the point where im not looking at the fretboard- then when it comes to metronome practise im not concentrating on two things because the playing is already taken care of.

Good luck! but id like to see what others say about this as ive really never thought about it before.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2008, 10:49 PM
Instructor
Well for one thing, you must start practicing with metronome really slow. Start of with whole notes, that is 4 click per one note picked. At this tempo you will definitely have enough time to focus on everything you are practicing one.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 17 2008, 08:18 AM
Lets go fishing!
I often count out a new rythm before playinig it to a metronome, you could try this also! If your playing 6-tuplets just for examples sake,

count out loud 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 , 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 etc

Where 1 is the metronone click (the beat). Then try to do it with the metronome on!

Beep - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 -6 , Beep - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 -6

Does that make sense? it soon becomes second nature! No multitasking here wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
kahall
Jun 18 2008, 03:18 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jun 16 2008, 04:03 PM) *
How do you multitask listening to the beeps ON A METRENOME and play at the same time. IT IS FREAKING ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

ANY TIPS?

I really do not have any additional tips but do not give up on the metronome. I hated it, still do really but always use it as it really does help and you will eventually start to see improvement in your playing because of it.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jun 18 2008, 04:07 AM
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jun 16 2008, 10:03 PM) *

ANY TIPS?

this helped me out alot... i used to struggle with the metronome, until i started to accent the notes that im hitting on the beat.. If im playing 4 notes per beat, then after every 4th note i accent it along with the beep, after you do this for awhile youll get the hang of it... i think its much easier than counting

--------------------

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 18 2008, 07:24 AM
matt stole the words from my mouth.

Not only that, but count while you play. This will keep you focused on the metronome without having to depend on listening to it as much because you will be verbalizing it.

And as mentioned above again, start slow, it's worth it.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 18 2008, 09:20 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Don't worry man you'll get used to it and later on you won't be focused on it that much but still play in its beat.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 18 2008, 09:35 AM
If you know a drummer also it is useful to jam with them as they can give you a bit more of an interesting beat to stick to and you tend to hear it easier.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:06 PM