Questions About Ibanez Neck
Static
Oct 11 2008, 01:23 PM
GMC:er
Question 1:
I'm thinking about buying an Ibanez RG1570 and I noticed it had a 5pc Wizard Maple/Walnut neck. I was wondering what this means, what part of the neck is walnut, what part is maple and what does 5 piece stand for?

Question 2:
I'm not really sure because I couldn't find a lot of info on these necks, but I think I read somewhere that this is an unfinished neck (or lightly oiled neck). According to Warmoth (Link) both walnut and maple necks require a finish to resist moisture related warping and twisting. So is it safe to play this and does it require any special maintenance?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Peavey HP Special Custom, Gibson SG Standard, Ibanez RG1570
Amps: Marshall TSL601, Fender Frontman Reverb, Fender Champion 600
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
botoxfox
Oct 11 2008, 01:29 PM
5 piece means the neck is made up of 5 pieces that are glued together. the light pieces are is maple while the dark pieces are walnut. The walnut pieces are very thin tho, so calling them pieces are a bit wrong IMO, they're more like wafers.

The prestige necks have a satin finish that is made up of poly clear I believe, so you won't have to worry about any moisture getting into the wood.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 11 2008, 01:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
1: Five piece neck means that the neck is consists of 5 pieces of wood glued together to achieve a better tone by using more wood types. In you case it's a maple neck with two walnut pieces in between. Like on this picture:

http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/Products/vide...zard%20neck.jpg

2: The neck has a natrual finish so that you can see and feel the wood. No special maintenace needed

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Static
Oct 12 2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm glad that it's a finished neck. So I won't have to worry about that. I'll probably buy this guitar soon smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Peavey HP Special Custom, Gibson SG Standard, Ibanez RG1570
Amps: Marshall TSL601, Fender Frontman Reverb, Fender Champion 600

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Oct 13 2008, 08:57 AM
I think its actually done for strength. With the laminations they can change the direction of the grain and it provides a stronger neck.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:53 AM