What Do You Think About Engl Powerball ?, need advices...
knax2
Apr 13 2009, 05:27 AM
GMC:er
hello

after a few discussion with some good people here on the forum, i think i wil buy the ENGL POWERBALL.

for playing metal like in flames, lamb of god, dark tranquility, or some like these, do you think it's the right amps ?

i also have an Ibanez SA with EMG81 and the line 6 Uber Metal pedal..

please let me know..

thank you in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
SensE
Apr 13 2009, 06:13 AM
ENGL Fireball and Powerball are both very fine amp. Its really good for metal. Go get it !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Apr 13 2009, 06:49 AM
QUOTE (knax2 @ Apr 13 2009, 05:27 AM) *
hello

after a few discussion with some good people here on the forum, i think i wil buy the ENGL POWERBALL.

for playing metal like in flames, lamb of god, dark tranquility, or some like these, do you think it's the right amps ?

i also have an Ibanez SA with EMG81 and the line 6 Uber Metal pedal..

please let me know..

thank you in advance

If you get a powerball throw that pedal away ..you wont need it. And if you use a distortion pedal with the powerball the amp will blow up on purpose and the tone police will kick in your door and club you. Engle amps have a built in GPS to locate people that do things like that. And the tone police are serious. J/k. powerball = amazing..no pedal needed.

This post has been edited by USAMAN: Apr 13 2009, 07:03 AM

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 13 2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah man, my ubermetal is a permanent paper weight now. ENGL's are sweeeeeet amps.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
Apr 13 2009, 09:17 AM
Engl Powerball is my main amp! It's absolutely fantastic and you can get any kind of sound you want out of it.
So, if you ever decide you want to play anything else besides metal, it will do it's job there too!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Visit my website - www.ivanmihaljevic.com
my MySpace - www.myspace.com/ivanmihaljevic
And if you want to buy my CD - www.cdbaby.com/cd/ivanmihaljevic

+Quote Post
Roadside
Apr 13 2009, 09:47 AM
Yes, the powerball is great, but like you´ll always be told. Test it in a local store!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 13 2009, 12:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
That is a very good choice! Powerball should serve you well! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 13 2009, 12:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
First of all:
I can't stand the ENGL tone, it's too cold and sterile. Id on't like it at all and I have tested any ENGL model from the screamer to the limited edition heads. Clean and crunch are great but the high gain tone doesn't cut it for me. ENGLs sound extremely heavy but the heaviness has no balls, it's like a barking dog that does not bite! That modern tone makes it really tight and punchy but all the brutalness somehow has no force behind it...

My Powerball experience:

I played a gig with some coverband doing all sorts of metal. I brought my Marshal JVM and marshall cab, the other guy brought his Powerball and the same marshall 4x12. We soundchecked and had a little jam going on.
The amps were on the same volume level and our guitars were similiar (I had a Gibson V, he had an Explorer) and this was my tonal impression: His tone was far more brutal and tighter compared to my marshall but once I layed down a single chord, he was drowning in my sound. All the brutalness isn't cutting through the tone, it was the same when playing the show: When he was playing alone it sounded really massive and heavy but with the band he couldn't cut through the mix, exept when he used a higher volume for leads...

IF youre only going to play metal anyways, I would suggest a Peavey 6505 (former 5150). It does not have the best clean, but the high gain tone is just awesome, at least as heavy sounding as the ENGLs but it has punch behind it, not like the hot air coming from the ENgl,the Peavey screams and roars when plaing with a band. It cuts through the mix like a hot knife through butter!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 13 2009, 01:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 13 2009, 01:35 PM) *
IF youre only going to play metal anyways, I would suggest a Peavey 6505 (former 5150). It does not have the best clean, but the high gain tone is just awesome, at least as heavy sounding as the ENGLs but it has punch behind it, not like the hot air coming from the ENgl,the Peavey screams and roars when plaing with a band. It cuts through the mix like a hot knife through butter!

I guy who has 6505+ gave me this exact description of the sound.

Regarding ENGL, I tried only Fireball in the store and I like the sound on it's own. Distortion was a bit grainy and cold to me, but I think it has a very nice tone. It's all a matter of personal preference in the end. Try other amps as well, and try them well in the store, possibly even in studio if you have the chance.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 13 2009, 04:54 PM
I like the powerball. The high gain sounds are bit too compressed and fizzy for me though. But it sounds very brutal! If you can try it out first and compare it to another amp. Some people love the powerball some hate it.

The 6505 is surely worth consideration too. In my opinion it lacks some of the clarity and tightness of the engl, it's more boomy a bit like a rectifier. Also the voicing is different from the ENGL but that's just a matter of taste.

Other amps to consider in this genre:
- ENGL Savage
- ENGL Blackmore
- ENGL Invader
- Framus Cobra
- Krank Revolution
- Laboga Mr. Hector
- Randall (V2?)
- Mesa Rectifiers (imo too expensive)

ZakkWylde, about your experience let me guess, your tone had far more mids than he had?

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 13 2009, 04:59 PM
Instructor
I have Engl Sovereign combo
which is pretty much like Powerball and some other
4 channels midi Engl amps with a few minor differences ofc,
I love it tho. smile.gif

Oh yeah, regarding gain and metal, no worries, it has plenty of gain. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Apr 13 2009, 05:00 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 13 2009, 06:12 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I used to won a ENGL Powerball, and it's aweeesome biggrin.gif
I traded it for a Framus Ruby Riot combo though, as I needed a smaller amp..

For metal it's one of the best amps out there, believe me smile.gif

+Quote Post
helo92
Apr 13 2009, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Apr 13 2009, 06:54 PM) *
I think In Flames are known to use the 5150/6505's

yes Jesper Strömblad uses 5150 and Björn Gelotte used one too but he changed to the Kerry King Marshall.

--------------------
<a href="http://www.wacken.com/" target="_blank"><embed src="http://banner.wacken.com/banner/WOA_Banner2010_468x60_090904_cw.swf" quality="high" width="468" height="60"></embed></a>

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 13 2009, 06:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (29a @ Apr 13 2009, 05:54 PM) *
ZakkWylde, about your experience let me guess, your tone had far more mids than he had?

- Jonas

That's what I thought too but actually I had my mids at 12 o'clock while he had them on 2 o'clock!!!

I tried some things (my amp scooped, his mids boosted; both scooped, both mid boosted) nothing much changed in terms of getting through the mix...

I couldn't believe it, I thought it was his scooped tone that causes it but it wasn't the problem. I think it is the general frequenzies level that is diffrent on ENGL amps which gives them their unique tone

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 13 2009, 07:44 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 13 2009, 07:50 PM) *
That's what I thought too but actually I had my mids at 12 o'clock while he had them on 2 o'clock!!!

I tried some things (my amp scooped, his mids boosted; both scooped, both mid boosted) nothing much changed in terms of getting through the mix...

I couldn't believe it, I thought it was his scooped tone that causes it but it wasn't the problem. I think it is the general frequenzies level that is diffrent on ENGL amps which gives them their unique tone
I think the powerball is voiced a bit scooped. But with the mids up and contour on I can't understand it. huh.gif

But the solution to this is very simple. You have to get a powerball too so you don't drown him and you both sound ultra brutal! laugh.gif

Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Apr 13 2009, 07:44 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 13 2009, 08:15 PM
+1 for the peavey!

im just dicovering peavey tube amps, and i have nothing to complain about them, they offer amazing tone for a good price (compared to others)

even their solid state stuff sounds great

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:37 PM