8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Tflava's Bootcamp
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2020, 12:16 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/tflavasbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 2 2020, 12:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 2 2020, 08:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello Sarge,

Here my misson 1.
I used my les Paul because with my fender my volume pot is blocking my hand sometimes.

150 bpm

Greetz Tim

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by tflava: Nov 2 2020, 08:54 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 3 2020, 11:44 PM
Welcome to Bootcamp!! You are on your way to Earning Your Stripes!!!! Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Well Done on your mute technique. You are doing it just right imho. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. Always fight the urge to pick from the elbow. This is DEATH for shredders. Kills speed/precision/control.

*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues.

*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. You got this one.

You are ready for round two!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 2 2020, 03:52 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

Here my misson 1.
I used my les Paul because with my fender my volume pot is blocking my hand sometimes.

150 bpm

Greetz Tim

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 3 2020, 11:45 PM

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 4 2020, 07:11 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks. And now i go for mission 2 i think.
I have to practice that one for a week and then also post a vid?
Am i right 😁
Greetz

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 4 2020, 08:51 PM
Some folks only need an hour or two, some folks like to take longer. As soon as you feel it's ready to share, or you feel it's ready for feedback, put up the post and let me know. I'll review it and if it needs a redo for whatever reason I'll put that in the critique. So there's not time requirement, post as soon as you are ready. Even if you think it's not perfect and just want some tips/feedback.

Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 4 2020, 02:11 AM) *
Thanks. And now i go for mission 2 i think.
I have to practice that one for a week and then also post a vid?
Am i right 😁
Greetz

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 7 2020, 08:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Allright man. Here is mission 2.
180 bpm.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2020, 05:06 AM
Diving in with both feet!!! Looking good!! Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Well Done on your palm mute technique. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. This is one of the hardest things to learn and one of the hardest things to teach. It's a foundational technique that will serve you well as you move on.

*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. From what I can see your synch is in good shape. It will continue to improve as you progress through these Missions.

*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. This is another foundational item that must be there in order to take the next step.

Well fought Soldier!! No rushing/lagging, no picking from the Elbow, etc. You are off to a good start!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 7 2020, 03:46 PM) *
Allright man. Here is mission 2.
180 bpm.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 8 2020, 10:26 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
allright man. Thanks.
I will go for mission 3 for the next few days.
I'll have to say that i can work almost every day for about 20 minutes and i start to kinda like to work with the metronome. Normally i use the guitar pro speed trainer but its getting comfortabele now with the metronome.

Thanks Sarge en you will see the mission 3 when i think im ready 👍😁

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2020, 05:19 AM
Very glad to hear that you are getting a handle on working with the "Evil Clicker!" (metronome), some players really struggle with this. It's great to see you adapting!!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 8 2020, 05:26 AM) *
allright man. Thanks.
I will go for mission 3 for the next few days.
I'll have to say that i can work almost every day for about 20 minutes and i start to kinda like to work with the metronome. Normally i use the guitar pro speed trainer but its getting comfortabele now with the metronome.

Thanks Sarge en you will see the mission 3 when i think im ready 👍😁

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 14 2020, 08:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey man.

Here is my mission 3. It felt that i can play clean till the max of 150 bpm. I gotta keep it sure so went for 140 bpm. I practice standing Since 3 days and i like it because i think its better for my shoulder.

I practice every day for 20 minutes.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 15 2020, 08:21 AM
Well fought Soldier! your palm is planted and you are not lifting it while you pick. Also, not picking from the elbow. Also not tensing up. These may seem like small things, but they are crucial in your journey. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING TECHNIQUE: Solid picking technique. The picking is really the core of everything we are going to be doing in bootcamp. One can't progress until the basics of picking are sorted. You've got it sorted!

*MUTING: Without a solid palm mute, all is lost. Also, without being able mute and pick at the same time all is lost. You can do both at the same time, success!!

*SYNCH: Keeping your right/left hand synch is another crucial part of this. No less important is hand synch. yet again, if synch fails, all else fails. Your synch is tight!

You are making great gains Soldier! Keep it up!
You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 14 2020, 03:40 PM) *
Hey man.

Here is my mission 3. It felt that i can play clean till the max of 150 bpm. I gotta keep it sure so went for 140 bpm. I practice standing Since 3 days and i like it because i think its better for my shoulder.

I practice every day for 20 minutes.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 15 2020, 08:37 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks man. You will see the next one next week. Thanks for the help

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2020, 02:53 AM
Keep it up Soldier!! You are making great progress!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 15 2020, 03:37 AM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2020, 08:28 PM
These three video examples are a great reference so I'm placing them here at the end of the thread.

Example 1. Notice how the amount of pick wag decreases as I speed up. Also notice the pick angle. The angle of attack/address is important as it sets up an optimal position for the hand.

In example 2, notice that my palm stays planted on the bridge. I don't lift or shift. I'm using thumb/finger articulation and using part of my hand and just a pinch of wrist. I've isolated to a single note.

In examle 3, I go through all the strings. Notice I keep a good solid palm mute and dont lift my palm off the bridge. Also, I"m keeping the same slanted forward pick angle. In addition, notice that my pick hand never tenses up. Even at speed, I keep the picking hand somewhat loose. This is key to stamina. Tensing up will kill your ability to play fast for extended periods.\

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 15 2020, 03:37 AM) *

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 21 2020, 03:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey todd.

Here my New takes. One at 210 bpm and one at 218 bpm.

Thanks man

Attached Image

These are my picks. Greetz

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 21 2020, 10:15 PM
BINGO!! Congrats soldier you just put it all together. Good solid palm mute, covering all the strings, not relying on the fret hand to mute, solid picking strikes and good synch. This is a big improvement Soldier. There are some small issues, (I hear a bit of string noise when you go from high to low string, and you lose synch a bit at the end of the last vid.) but I think we can sort these out along the way. Also, those picks are perfect. They are just like one of the Vpicks I use with 3 sides. Plenty big and plenty thick and nice and pointy! Forward!

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

SOLID MUTE: Mute game is strong and continues to improve.

SYNCHING FEELING: Good synch for the most part. A bit of drift, but an improvement to be sure!

PRECISION: You are putting it all together and doing it with precision.

This is the best I think I"ve seen you play here in Bootcamp. Can you feel the difference?
You just...

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 21 2020, 10:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Héllo Sarge.

Yes i definitely begin to notice the difference.
Its started to geel more comfortabele.
I practice every day for 20 minutes and like to do it standing.
So i keep on going and go for the New excersice.
Thanks for all the help.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2020, 04:16 AM
The trick to playing while standing for these drills is to raise your guitar to roughly the same spot as it would be if you were sitting down. Otherwise, you have to learn everything twice, once for standing, once for sitting.

Glad it's starting to feel more comfortable!! Keep it up!! smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 21 2020, 05:59 PM) *
Héllo Sarge.

Yes i definitely begin to notice the difference.
Its started to geel more comfortabele.
I practice every day for 20 minutes and like to do it standing.
So i keep on going and go for the New excersice.
Thanks for all the help.

+Quote Post
Timmez
Nov 28 2020, 03:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Sarge.

Here mission 5. I revorded at 210, 230 and 240 bpm.
IT started to deel more and more relaxx so thats nice.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2020, 09:26 PM
Impressive work Soldier!!! You are getting the hang of it. Your picking with less effort, using the tip of the pick, keeping your hand planted on bridge for a solid mute. These things together are what is required for playing these Missions. It's the entire point of Bootcamp. I'm here to help you adjust your technique in a practical way to be able to play whatever your fingers want to play as fast as they want for as long as they want. This is a great example. You can keep this up for days and not lose synch, not loose speed. Bam. Nice. Congrats.

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 28 2020, 10:47 AM) *
Hey Sarge.

Here mission 5. I revorded at 210, 230 and 240 bpm.
IT started to deel more and more relaxx so thats nice.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:22 AM