New Computer, thanks good insurane contract and a big mouth !! to shout !
fzalfa
Jul 2 2015, 06:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi

some week ago my horsework die, why ? i do not know, i switch it off, then it never goes up again.

i have call my home's insurance, and declare the accident, maybe a lightning.......

so they pickup the computer to expertise it, and some days after they give me a cotation about my computer's value: 350 €

rhhaaaaaa !!! 350€ !? they laught

i call them back , exchange some not really sweet terms , and they ask me an buy invoice

i'm conservative and i have the orignal invoice, i send it to us via mail, and suddently we talk about right numbers.

i had buyed this computer ( fujitsu siemens celsius with quad Opteron dual core, 32Gb ram, Nvidia quadro K4000) 2300€ in 2013.

so they ask me what actual computer can replave this one , i choose a maxed out HP Z440 , 32Gb, 8 cores Xeon 4.0 Ghz, Nvidia K4000 (i don not let the previous in the old one, like my HDD)

it cost twice the price of my previous one, but in my contract they don"t keep in mind the price but only the caracteristics, so 8 cores, 32Gb, K4000....

i receive the computer tomorow, the parcel is near now smile.gif

i'm so happy smile.gif another good workstation

Laurent

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 2 2015, 06:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sounds like your new computer is a workhorse! I'm envious! My computer still runs most thing quite well, but it's getting on now. It was top of the line in 2012, but not so much more anymore, but for Cubase it runs pretty alright.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 2 2015, 08:20 PM
Learning Roadie
My computer still runs most thing quite well, but it's getting on now. It was top of the line in 2012

i was stand with my old SGI octane 2 (dual Mips R14k 600Mhz 16Mb L2, 8Go ram) like hackab onto his boat, until i cannot use decent firefox release version...

i think "old" computer can do it job a long time before be obsolet.

i have done something weird for a nerd like me, i have chat on Ircnet in 2013 with an old Silicon graphics from 1986, an Iris 4D 20/TG turbo, under Irix 3.3, News window manager (was before X11, a mix of postscript and Irisgl (father od OpenGL)).

i have use Andromeda irc client source and do the port and compilation onto this venerable UniX box, i run fine onto the Mips R3000 12.5Mhz, 24Mb ram system (with 3D hardware, 4 geometry engine good for 80Mflops smile.gif )

so i think your computer is still good enought !

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 3 2015, 09:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
WOW man - that is a sweet deal you got there! smile.gif I bet there wasn't something very wrong with your old computer either, probably just a power supply failure. I envy you on the specs smile.gif

I have recently upgraded my 2011 iMacs RAM from 4 GB to 12 GB and man, that a difference. I did it because the computer was becoming unusable it terms of getting stuck all the time, loading to slowly even for basic tasks etc. Upgrading RAM on mac (and any other computer) is easy and it can make a huge difference.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 4 2015, 01:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 3 2015, 10:42 PM) *
WOW man - that is a sweet deal you got there! smile.gif I bet there wasn't something very wrong with your old computer either, probably just a power supply failure. I envy you on the specs smile.gif

I have recently upgraded my 2011 iMacs RAM from 4 GB to 12 GB and man, that a difference. I did it because the computer was becoming unusable it terms of getting stuck all the time, loading to slowly even for basic tasks etc. Upgrading RAM on mac (and any other computer) is easy and it can make a huge difference.

My machine was top of the line back when I got it, with 12 GB RAM, but maaaan, new machines has like 32GB as Fzalfa's. I'm envious!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 4 2015, 02:58 PM
Learning Roadie
My machine was top of the line back when I got it, with 12 GB RAM, but maaaan, new machines has like 32GB as Fzalfa's. I'm envious!

i'll connat upgrade as i like when i'll want, or i must put money under my bed, cause DDR4 ECC modules are very expensive !!!!

the cas e of memory is very interressant, cause lot of people think computer speed is relative to CPU frequency, true and false, but a very important thing is the memory amount !!!!!

i had upgrade an old DELL with a pentium 2 450 some year ago, i have keep this computer for my friend's childs, i have put a win XP SP2, and two 512Mb sdram simm, a total of 1gb for an old PII, a bit overclock to 500 Mhz , and it was runing fine !!! very surprising !!

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 4 2015, 03:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 4 2015, 03:58 PM) *
i'll connat upgrade as i like when i'll want, or i must put money under my bed, cause DDR4 ECC modules are very expensive !!!!

the cas e of memory is very interressant, cause lot of people think computer speed is relative to CPU frequency, true and false, but a very important thing is the memory amount !!!!!

i had upgrade an old DELL with a pentium 2 450 some year ago, i have keep this computer for my friend's childs, i have put a win XP SP2, and two 512Mb sdram simm, a total of 1gb for an old PII, a bit overclock to 500 Mhz , and it was runing fine !!! very surprising !!

Laurent

I have an old laptop as well, which is running most things okay as well, but it needs to be formatted badly, I think. Or I could just start cleaning it up, but I think I'd rather take the fast formatting approach and install everything again from scratch smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 4 2015, 03:33 PM
Learning Roadie
install everything again from scratch

i'm doing this now with the HP..... it's boring...

and i do not have receive all the HDD...... so i cannot do all i want

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 4 2015, 04:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 4 2015, 04:33 PM) *
i'm doing this now with the HP..... it's boring...

and i do not have receive all the HDD...... so i cannot do all i want

Laurent

I need a new battery for my laptop. It used to last up to 5 hours, now it lasts 30 minutes. Means I can't take it anywhere with me mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 4 2015, 05:00 PM
Learning Roadie
ebay is your friend !!

you certainely have a bigger battery too

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 4 2015, 05:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 4 2015, 06:00 PM) *
ebay is your friend !!

you certainely have a bigger battery too

Laurent

I don't have the money for a new battery at the moment. I'm saving up to go to a festival in late July, so I can't spend any money on anything like that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:42 AM