Midi Controller Benefits?
dcz702
May 6 2013, 03:57 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey guys.
As I'm starting to record more even recording my practice sessions, I'm looking at more gear to add to make thing easier.
I was looking at midi controllers and I got my eye on one, the akai mpk25. The reason why I started looking at these controllers was to be able to use as a trigger for EZ drummer, I tried out a controller pad at guitar center and the sales guy said to pass on it cause it has a lot of returns and alesis controllers in general seem to have problems a lot of the time. V drums right now Arnt a option cause of space and money. And if I buy v drums I want a decent set and not a set that I'm just going to sell to upgrade later. So with the akai mpk25 I thought I could do my drums tracks and use it to controll my daw so I'm not always having to adjust parameters with a mouse and staring at the screen. Does anyone have experience using this thing with logic? Is it worth it? Does it work well and pretty easy to get it to work right? Is this a piece of gear that I will find usefull?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 6 2013, 03:59 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2013, 04:14 AM
Instructor
I use a m-audio midi controller with Nuendo and Reason to record drums, basses and other instruments like piano, strings and so. I find it vey useful to record melodies and drum tracks faster and smoother. I never use it to control software paremeters but it is also used for that.
It would be a good addition to your gear.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 7 2013, 01:17 AM
GMC:er
You can get a really cheap set of MIDI drums on Ebay. For a couple hundred bux you can get a set from ION for example. I had a set like this that used a USB cable to connect to the computer and let me record in EZ Drummer. IT was handy smile.gif but I eventually sold it when I got faster at mousing in my beats using the piano roll feature in LOGIC. Also, using a midi keyboard is a quick way to do it. And a decent midi keyboard by M audio is about 100 bux.

Todd
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 5 2013, 10:57 PM) *
Hey guys.
As I'm starting to record more even recording my practice sessions, I'm looking at more gear to add to make thing easier.
I was looking at midi controllers and I got my eye on one, the akai mpk25. The reason why I started looking at these controllers was to be able to use as a trigger for EZ drummer, I tried out a controller pad at guitar center and the sales guy said to pass on it cause it has a lot of returns and alesis controllers in general seem to have problems a lot of the time. V drums right now Arnt a option cause of space and money. And if I buy v drums I want a decent set and not a set that I'm just going to sell to upgrade later. So with the akai mpk25 I thought I could do my drums tracks and use it to controll my daw so I'm not always having to adjust parameters with a mouse and staring at the screen. Does anyone have experience using this thing with logic? Is it worth it? Does it work well and pretty easy to get it to work right? Is this a piece of gear that I will find usefull?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 8 2013, 10:34 AM
Instructor
I've learned to draw in Cubase and when I tried to learn how to play drums on keyboard I failed and left this idea but as it goes for piano, orchestra or ambient sounds it's makes my work much easier smile.gif So yep...there are many benefits from having the midi controller.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 8 2013, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Mate, so far, I've been handling instrument writing with the mouse without any difficulties. Still, this dude here - a very talented musician friend, uses the Korg Nanopad - here he is in action with it:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 9 2013, 05:08 AM
Spiff! smile.gif That little korg controller is quite handy. I tried one out for a while but as I do lots of Double Kick Drum bits, I had to make two passes for drums. As long as you keep the beats somewhat simple, you can litterally do what he is doing and play the entire drum bit with your fingers smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 8 2013, 11:26 AM) *
Mate, so far, I've been handling instrument writing with the mouse without any difficulties. Still, this dude here - a very talented musician friend, uses the Korg Nanopad - here he is in action with it:

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 9 2013, 06:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 9 2013, 04:08 AM) *
Spiff! smile.gif That little korg controller is quite handy. I tried one out for a while but as I do lots of Double Kick Drum bits, I had to make two passes for drums. As long as you keep the beats somewhat simple, you can litterally do what he is doing and play the entire drum bit with your fingers smile.gif

Todd

Oooh, I see smile.gif Well, I thought it could be somewhat of a universal solution, due to the ease that he seems to have when using it. So - no double kick possibilities on this one at all?

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 9 2013, 07:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 8 2013, 03:26 PM) *

thanks for the suggestion. i think a midi keyboard is something that is going to come in handy ive read on how to use it as a controller for my daw, and seems really cool, specially if i have alot of windows open i dont always have to click on my daw icon i can just use the midi keyboard, to me that sounds very conveinant. and i can do bass and drum tracks. thanks guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 9 2013, 07:53 AM
Instructor
Hehe! Glad it worked out man!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 9 2013, 08:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 9 2013, 05:08 AM) *

Todd

Todd pointed important thing - I used nano set for a while. There were some problems when pressing few keys at the same time. It was good for playing simple things but while playing chords for example...some of the notes were missing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 10 2013, 07:33 AM
Instructor
Well then, in order to help our friend out - isn't there any version of the nanopad that had these issues solved?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2013, 09:47 PM
You could map both kick drums to separate pads, or define it so that the track pad treats the kick like a snare roll of course smile.gif But for complicated double kick stuff, it's really hard to tap a kick, a snare and high hat or ride all at the same time.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 9 2013, 01:57 AM) *
Oooh, I see smile.gif Well, I thought it could be somewhat of a universal solution, due to the ease that he seems to have when using it. So - no double kick possibilities on this one at all?

I had the same exact issues!!! smile.gif I gave it back to my buddy, (the guy who produces indieAtl music show here in town) and didn't end up buying one. I switch to using a midi keyboard, but still had to do multiple passes of midi for complex drum parts so I started using mouse clicks wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 9 2013, 03:39 AM) *
Todd pointed important thing - I used nano set for a while. There were some problems when pressing few keys at the same time. It was good for playing simple things but while playing chords for example...some of the notes were missing

Well, it just depends on what he's trying to do. As long as the beats are somewhat simple, using your fingers alone works just fine. Once your beats get complex, you might need to take two passes to put the beats in, or use a midi drum kit or midi keyboard.

Here is the keyboard I use. It's an M AUDIO MIDI keyboard that connects to the computer Via USB which is very handy. Doesn't require a midi converter or midi cable smile.gif You can find them online for about $100.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 10 2013, 02:33 AM) *
Well then, in order to help our friend out - isn't there any version of the nanopad that had these issues solved?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:24 AM