3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Zen's December Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Dec 27 2009, 07:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zen @ Dec 26 2009, 04:34 AM) *
That's the sad part .. I listen to metal mostly and most guitarists have fast licks, chops and shredding solo's. I still have to master those techniques though. I mostly cant figure out what they're playing but thats what I like 'listening' to smile.gif .. In terms of solo artists, i've heard satriani the most and love his playing style. I hear people say that it's also based on one's lick vocabulary .. more licks one learns the better he can incorporate them in his playing style.. i guess i'll have to start learning some licks. STarting with sequences or the scale itself played runs of 3rd's of 5ths is a good idea, i'll try that. Thanks for that . + I also think in order to "think fast shreddy stuff" , i gotta change the backing to somethin more appropriate so it gives me suitable ideas for it. I will try it next time.

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. This is the first time i recorded a backing and tried to play a solo over it smile.gif .. so yes, it will hopefully improve from here. I'll analyse the notes as well.

Edit: Ive analysed the notes .. All of them are from the F major scale or the F key.. so it fits .. But I wanna learn where modes come into practice.. Each mode hasa different 'sound' from what Ive heard but we are playing the same notes in all modes , how is the sound going to be different? Does that mean to make this solo in true D Aeolian , i start my solo from the note D always ?

Edit 2: I played the same progression in power chords and recorded a concept of a solo..Please see attached file.. It has timing and note faults everywhere but this is what I was speaking about .. Its an idea .. I wanna build on such a style..

I'm really enjoying this MTP smile.gif

Zen this is excellent stuff! You used sequence and strong chord tones in your melody. There was repetition and development as well. Backing track was in different style, you used power chords and different drum beat. Overall this is definitely better then the first take. Important thing is within day you could hear improvement! Imagine what you can get to in a month time?!?
Regarding your questions over modal application... Notice that chord progression is in D Aeolian for couple of reasons : 1) Starts on D minor 2) Uses chords from D Aeolian or F major parent scale 3) Uses D Aeolian type chord cadence or chord progression. Now here is the real deal. When D minor is in the background you are playing D Aeolian which means your characteristic note in that cadence is b6 which is Bb note. As soon as G minor kicks in you are really now in G Dorian! Here you got natural 6 or tension 13 as characteristic note which is E note! Notice that both D Aeolian and G Dorian come from F major scale. They contain the same notes but different order of half and whole steps depending on starting note of the scale.
The lesson you need to get out of all this is CHORD DETERMINES THE MODE AND THE SOUND ITSELF. So if you want to follow analysis you will figure out that over C you are using C Mixolydian mode, over Bb Bb Lydian and over A minor A Phrygian mode!

I am enjoying working with you and your progress Zen. Keep up the good work man.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Dec 28 2009, 12:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Pedja .. It's becoming clearer now smile.gif
If I were to put it in a ZEN like philosophy...... It's like mixing colors to combine new colors ... so playing any particular mode over a backing chord merges with it to create a particular sound.. a new color smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 29 2009, 04:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zen @ Dec 28 2009, 12:27 PM) *
Thanks Pedja .. It's becoming clearer now smile.gif
If I were to put it in a ZEN like philosophy...... It's like mixing colors to combine new colors ... so playing any particular mode over a backing chord merges with it to create a particular sound.. a new color smile.gif

This is very true Zen, well said smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 2 2010, 07:15 PM
Instructor
Zen you did fantastic in December, I am very proud of your work and pace. I am closing this thread now and will open one for January very soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:58 PM